StromTrooper banner

New member from NC

591 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Shag
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum but not to riding. Have been riding street bikes since about 1989. The latest bikes I've owned were a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior, 2006 GSX-R750, '09 Harley Street Bob, '02 Yamaha XT 225. I still have the Street Bob but plan to officially put it up for sale soon, and I still have the XT 225. I rode the XT to work today. I usually ride about 15K or more miles a year. I like riding all different kinds of bikes and usually don't keep one more than three years or so before moving on. I always wanted a Harley when I was younger so I bought one a couple of years ago and have enjoyed it but it didn't "convert me" or anything like that. Nice bike but I'm ready to move on. I'm liking what I've read so far about the V-Strom 1000 bike. I'm kind of in a utility type of mood and the V-Strom seems very capable. I'm about 95% sure that it's the bike I'll go for as soon as the Harley is sold. Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself. I'll go read some of the FAQ stuff and check out the forum before asking any stupid questions, but I'm sure I'll have a few stupid questions before it's over with. :cheers2:
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Like you, I have been riding for a long time both street and motocross bikes. I bought my 2011 VStrom 650 recently and absolutely love the bike. Just rolled over 500 miles today on the odometer, so still breaking it in. Not sure why Suzuki discontinued the 1000? But the 650 has exceeded my expectations thus far!!!

BTW - I live in Moorseville, NC. [email protected]. Send me an email if in the area.

Howard

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like you, I have been riding for a long time both street and motocross bikes. I bought my 2011 VStrom 650 recently and absolutely love the bike. Just rolled over 500 miles today on the odometer, so still breaking it in. Not sure why Suzuki discontinued the 1000? But the 650 has exceeded my expectations thus far!!!

BTW - I live in Moorseville, NC. [email protected]. Send me an email if in the area.

Howard

Hi, Howard. Yeah... I was leaning towards the 1000 because I was worried about getting a bike (the 650) that wasn't "enough bike" for me. But the more I read, I can't seem to find anyone who has a 650 and is unhappy with it. I know a guy who has been riding a V-Strom 1000 for a few years now and has put probably 40K+ miles on it. I mentioned to him that I was thinking about buying a 1000 and he told me to buy a 650 instead, that it was a better bike. I looked at a 650 today and got my wife to get on the bike with me and she's actually starting to get on board with the idea. Now I'm torn between going with an '11 or waiting on a '12. It will all work itself out but the anticipation... Well, I guess the anticipation thing is part of what makes the whole experience fun. :mrgreen:

· Living the Stereotype
11,551 Posts
Now I'm torn between going with an '11 or waiting on a '12. It will all work itself out but the anticipation... Well, I guess the anticipation thing is part of what makes the whole experience fun. :mrgreen:
Howdie,

I was just at my local dealer, Dal Kawa, in Hendersonville. They expect the 2012's in about a month. They don't yet know what the MSRP will be. My wife happens to have an '09 Street Bob. It's okay, but it bores me pretty quickly, it seems like you're going much faster than you are, at least compared to the DL650. By the way, the DL650 seems just a little quicker off the line than the Street Bob..

Welcome,

Norm

· Registered
70 Posts
I thought the same thing actually about waiting for the 2012. But the dealer was willing to meet my offer on the 2011 650 at $7099.00. That sealed the deal. Good Luck!! Interstate Cycles, Huntersville NC is where I bought the VStrom...

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the same thing actually about waiting for the 2012. But the dealer was willing to meet my offer on the 2011 650 at $7099.00. That sealed the deal. Good Luck!! Interstate Cycles, Huntersville NC is where I bought the VStrom...
I just checked and that dealer is about 3 hours away from me. But it might be worth the drive to save that much $. I think I'll run those numbers by my local dealer and see if they can match it. Do you know if Interstate Cycle has any more '11 V-Strom 650s on the showroom floor? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.