StromTrooper banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined the forum to do some research since I plan on buying a bike in the next 10 days that I will take to Mexico and maybe further south.

So I'm getting out of the Army in March and won't be starting my new job until May 1st. I live in MD right now and have decided to buy an affordable bike that will carry luggage and can make it down to Central America. I plan on leaving Maryland on the 3rd of March and heading south to Key West, FL, then follow the Gulf Coast to TX to visit a friend in San Antonio before either crossing the border in TX or head farther west to cross and then head down through Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and then Panama. (I'll go further south if I meet up with other riders).

I'm riding solo so I need a bike that can run highway and dirt roads and carry hard saddle bags. A dealer local to me has a 2011 Vstrom w / Saddlebags new for $6699 and that's right up my alley leaving me enough for electronics and modifications for the bike to make the trip.

My options right now are:

2011 Suzuki Vstrom w/ Saddlebags new for $6699
2011 Suzuki DR650 $5000

I'm leaning towards the Vstrom so that I could use itfor touring the East Coast in the summer as well as to commute to work but I'm open to opinions or other options out there.

I owned a BMW GS650 when I was stationed in Germany and my longest trip completed was 6500 miles. I'm looking forward to try and beat that with the new bike I pick up. I'm looking forward to learning alot about the V.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome to the group. I myself would get the Wee. In my opinion, it would be much more comfortable ride for the distance you will be going.

A lot of guys here buy the DR650 to ride more off-road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
welcome, I'm new to the wee as well. I'm also in Md. I did extensive research before I bought mine. Just sold an xr650l. The xr was excelent off road,but for any long distance my butt was not happy. I had it in colorado, perfect setting. But we moved back to Md. Too many paved roads here. Anyway the vstrom was the only worthy option in my price range. However, if money isn't all that important, the tiger, ktm, bmw are probably more suitable for the trip your planning. I'm envious. Good luck.:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts