StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been lurking since July, bought a 2011 DL560 ABS on Friday, and figured I should introduce myself. Long story short, i'm a sportbike addict trying to reform. A friend asked if i'd be interested in doing a 10,000km+ trip this coming summer and my CBR just isn't the right tool for that. Couldn't decide between a Versys or VStrom, but then my local suzuki dealer came through at a price I couldn't refuse. Either way, looking forward to seeing how this all goes and hopefully i'll be as satisfied with the bike as you all seem to be.

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
588 Posts
Welcome to the club!

We do a lot of riding out of Halifax in and around the province with the odd trip elsewhere. Check out dualsport.ca and especially the gallery for group rides and stuff.

Maybe we'll get to meet you over the summer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awesome, hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far.

Im from Alberta. Bought my 650 the end of Sept and put on 5000KM in the first week (round trip from Calgary to Grand Canyon). Rode her today for the first time since November, could do more the weather has been so good around here.

I am planning a trip up to (and through) Alaska around the end of June, should equal about 10,000 Km in 3 weeks. I need to get my butt in shape well ahead though, that's my only sore spot with the bike so far :)

This site is pretty amazing, so much to read and learn about when not out riding.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome. I briefly had the Versys/Vstrom indecision (love the Kaw engine), but the larger fuel capacity of the Strom was just too important to ignore. Plus there's a better selection of tires for the Strom IMHO.

Glenn

Hi all,

I've been lurking since July, bought a 2011 DL560 ABS on Friday, and figured I should introduce myself. Long story short, i'm a sportbike addict trying to reform. A friend asked if i'd be interested in doing a 10,000km+ trip this coming summer and my CBR just isn't the right tool for that. Couldn't decide between a Versys or VStrom, but then my local suzuki dealer came through at a price I couldn't refuse. Either way, looking forward to seeing how this all goes and hopefully i'll be as satisfied with the bike as you all seem to be.

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome TT1900 from Fredrock. Pretty new on here myself.
I too have come from sportbikes. Had both a gsxr600 and a Z1000.

Also had a Versys for a while and now waiting for my 2012 650 Wee. The Versys was a great bike too, don't think you'd really be disappointed with either, but I feel the Strom is a better for the trip you're planning. Where are ya headed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heading through the states to Trenton ON to see family, meet the riding buddies in Ottawa. Then its up through Quebec along the Labrador Highway, through Lab, over to the Rock and hit all the parks/ tourist sites as i've never been. Then the ferry to NS, go see some friends in Cape Breton, and then home.

Thats the plan anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fyrman -> Checked out dualsport.ca. Looks like an excellent site with tons of resources. And I absolutely look forward to running into you and whoever else rides whereever I go. I'll post up a ride report to include before/during/after.

Trailslapper -> Looked through your ADVrider ride report. Looks amazing. I'll keep an eye out for those stickers. Good idea.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Heading through the states to Trenton ON to see family, meet the riding buddies in Ottawa. Then its up through Quebec along the Labrador Highway, through Lab, over to the Rock and hit all the parks/ tourist sites as i've never been. Then the ferry to NS, go see some friends in Cape Breton, and then home.

Thats the plan anyways.
Did the Trans Lab last summer. You definitely wouldn't want a CBR for that part of the ride - although we met a guy riding a Yam R6...

Replace the Trail Wings (I liked the Heidenau Scouts I had) and take it easy. There were four crashes in two weeks while I was there.

Glenn

·
Registered
43 Posts

Thats the plan anyways.

Sounds like a great ride! I'm in Ottawa, originally from Fredericton, and planning on heading east in June for a visit. This will be my first road trip on the 2006 Wee I picked up late last summer (unless I pull the trigger on an '11 I have my eye on _ then I'll be on a new one). I'm most likely going the Que-Maine-NB route via back roads.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Whew, a canuck-oriented thread without a picture of someone riding their bike in Feb! I can't take it, 10-20 cm of snow on the way here tomorrow.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Whew, a canuck-oriented thread without a picture of someone riding their bike in Feb! I can't take it, 10-20 cm of snow on the way here tomorrow.
Been raining for days here. My "silver lining" is that it's washing all the salt away so on the first warm day...

...I'll send you pics! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You'll have loads of fun on the Strom Mate, I traded an old model XJR in for a Strom and its been more comfortable, cheaper to run and easier to ride. I know you got big roads in Canada but all the better for a comfortable ride. In England we are plagued with potholes in the roads... :headbang:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts