StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Lowrance XOG vs. Zumo 550

I'm very curious about the Lowrance XOG, for both on-bike and in-car duty. I've been dreaming of a Zumo 550 but the price is just a bit more than I'm willing to spend right now. But sometimes it's not the price by itself, it's the "what do you get for the price" equation of value. Is the Zumo's features and capabilities worth $700? My impression so far is that it's not. Everything I read about the Zumo indicates it's a fantastic unit, but is it worth the price?

Although the XOG doesn't have the same features and capabilities of the motorcycle-specific Zumo 550, it provides all the core functionality one needs in a bike-mounted GPS unit at about one third the cost. Is it a better value?

Does anyone own the XOG? What do you think of the unit? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Looks like a nice unit, and I am sure Ram will come out with a mount for it. My only worry with it would be that they don't specify the waterproofness of it. They mention Waterproof, but there is nothing in the specks that say how waterproof.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I wish I knew about the XOG before I bought my 2610.
I own a Lowrance IWay 100 and there are many things I miss about my Lowrance that my Garmin does not have/do.

Lowrance puts a lot more details on their maps than Garmin.
My old Iway had details that were like Garmins City Nav and topo combined only missing the topo contour lines.

Lowrance units hold a lot more track points and waypoints.

Lowrance also really lets you customize the data you want to see.
Just about any data item or map feature can be turned on or off.

I really miss lowrance's speed dependant autozoom on the bike.

The biggest down side to Lowrance is their autorouting can be pretty sucky if you try to push it to extremes of "avoid highways"
You can work around that with more via points though.

Searching/finding on Lowrance units is kind of sucky too compaired to Garmin.

FWIW I remember seeing IPX4 for the rating and that a MC mount is available.
My Iway factory mount was a RAM so I would guess the XOG would be the same

1 - 5 of 5 Posts