StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered an italian air horn from Griots garage and installed it over the weekend. What an improvement!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've had mine on for a couple of months......Moves the "cages" right over when they try to intrude on my "space"....

I didn't use a relay, I ran wiring from the airhorn over to the original wiring, removed the stock horn and connected the wires....Instant LOUD

The idea of drilling the fairing was unacceptable. I "diddled" around awhile making some tasty little aluminum brackets that ran from the blinker mount post and from the fairing mount tubes and like that. In every case, (because of the single screw mount) the horn ended up being just far enough away from the fairing to interfer with the fork "right/left" movement. It wasn't snug up against the fairing. If I mounted the horn with the compressor up and horn(s) down it also interferred with the forks because of the mounting bolt.

My solution was (with no mounting screw on the horn) to find the low spot in the fairing (kinda of a VEE where the two pieces are joined) that allowed the horn to sit and not obstruct the steering function in any way.

I did trim the entire length of the horn snout where it touched the fairing (about 1/16th") so that the horn sat truly vertical.

Once I found the "perfect location" I marked the appropriate positions on the horn and the fairing (places where they touched each other) and applied some serious industrial strength VELCRO (3M Dual Lock) I had left over from my boating days. (Not the cheap store stickyback stuff)

The Griot horn doesn't weigh very much so with three different velcro attach points "that puppy ain't moving". In fact when I went to take it out to connect the wiring it took two hands to wrestle it free from the mounting position.

I have used industrial strength Velcro (3M Dual Lock) on a variety of applications on my vehicles and my Catamaran and never had a failure.

Thought I might have a problem with the horn sucking rain with the horn up, but so far it hasn't been a problem even in really heavy rain.

J

·
0 Posts
I ordered: STEBEL_COMPACT_AIRHORNNew Stebel Compact Air Horn (Black only) 1 $35.95 $35.95

This is a compact version with the same killer decibels. Should get it soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi compared to what,
That's exactly where I put mine, I tried on the left side but settled on the right side as it seemed to fit better there. Instead of velcro, I used cable ties which seems to work okay.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
djohnson said:
Hi compared to what,
That's exactly where I put mine, I tried on the left side but settled on the right side as it seemed to fit better there. Instead of velcro, I used cable ties which seems to work okay.
Out of curiosity, what did you tie the horn to?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just bought the Freeway Blasters from Advance Autoparts for $30 both and plan on installing them today. Will try to take some pictures and poset them here after I'm done.

Wingman

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is 1/2"steel tubing that is the support frame for the fairing. I slit some rubber hose and put it around that vertical part of the frame and cable tied the horn to it and another cable tie through a hole down at the bottom and it is almost rock solid.

·
Registered
369 Posts
djohnson said:
There is 1/2"steel tubing that is the support frame for the fairing.
Yep, that’s exactly where I mounted the Hi/Low horns. No relay. Used a 5/8 diameter clamps with rubber inserts that I picked up at a local hardware store. I shortened the brackets that came with the horns and drilled a new mounting hole in them. The whole job took no more then 1 hour and most of that time was spent removing and installing the fairing.

I was a little disappointed with the sound level or the Freeway Blasters since most posts I read claim they can wake up the dead. The bike now sounds like a mid size sedan, which is head and shoulders better then the OEM.

Wingman

·
Registered
275 Posts
I installed the FIAMM freeway Blaster Pair last weekend.

Got the set from Advanced Auto Parts, it was called FIAMM "El Grande" !

They had cheesy red covers and chrome grills, those pop right off.
then I hit the shiny gold with a little flat black spray paint before I mounted them.

MUCH MUCH Better.

Over on the Yahoo group for DL650 in the Downloads section a guy named RBSCairns has written an EXCELLENT document on installing and wiring the horns. All the wiring, relay mounting, it's perfect.

I Love Having LOUD Horns.. My last Bike had them too.. I honk at anyone and everything

Honk Honk !

V

·
0 Posts
I just had a sadistic thought of putting my air horn on my RC51 and cutting loose when I catch up to someone on the track :p

Not gonna do it though. I would be beaten, tarred and feathered, and ejected from the track....

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Velociraptor said:
I just had a sadistic thought of putting my air horn on my RC51 and cutting loose when I catch up to someone on the track :p

Not gonna do it though. I would be beaten, tarred and feathered, and ejected from the track....
In a heartbeat..............

V

·
0 Posts
I finally got around to installing my airhorn from Griots over the weekend. First off, what was Suzuki thinking when they installed the stock horn behind the radiator?? Talk about a pain to get to! I have a DL1000K3 and the right inner fairing area is already occupied by the radiator catch tank. So I decided to put the horn on the left inner fairing. I tried the super velcro method but there were not enough solid mounting points to make it totally secure. I finally ended up mounting the horn oriented with the horn snout facing forward, down, and slightly backwards. I also drilled a small hole in the horn snout to zip tie it to the fairing support frame. I ended up securing the horn in two places with zip ties and also used some leftover exhaust springs to support the horn vertically. I had to trim a small area of the black inner fairing plastic to clear the horn but not much-maybe an inch square. The very good part about the installation was that the stock suzuki horn leads fit on the Griots horn and the stock horn wire was long enought to reach the new horn. Its VERY loud. I tested it in the garage and it left my ears ringing.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Its VERY loud. I tested it in the garage and it left my ears ringing.
LOL. The instructions warn you NOT to do that.

I have my compact version - need to get on the ball and install it...

V

·
0 Posts
For my DL1000K3 I just unplugged the two wires from my stock horn and plugged them into the new horn which has two blade type connectors just like the stock horn. No need to modify anything. Stock horn button. Polarity matters though. The wrong way and the horn doesn't work very well. The right way and you will know it. The only issue is that the stock horn wire just barely reaches to the new horn where I have it mounted. The original horn mounts on the right side and behind the radiator. So I rerouted the horn wire to the left side of the bike. The way I have the horn mounted orients the connectors on the horn to be as close as possible to the horn wire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts