StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow DL riders! Been riding my 2005 DL650 with 21,000 mi, for couple months. Really love the light handling, quick response and positional comfort for this 200 lb, 6 foot driver. But now I am into cooler riding conditions. Driving her a couple days in very chilly air, I noticed air flow coming off fairing right unto my thighs and unto my chest & under my chin.

In the past I have gone from naked bikes to my last commuter, a 2004 BMW R1150RTP, which had full fairing, heated grips & adjustable shield, which I rode all seasons including winter in the 20's winter conditions last 3 years, 365 days/yr. Now am retired and my commuter BMW needs to go to new owner.

My question is: are there any "wind deflectors" which can be mounted somewhere to give less wind intrusion to the driver? I have seen a bigger wind shield on Ebay for $200 - but no deflectors like those available for other bikes like cruisers. Maybe this has been discussed here and someone can point me in the right direction? If not, any solutions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried adding a "laminar lip" - like (it was not a real laminar lip, but I'm using that term because I made it just like their out of an older helmet visor - Really.. it worked pretty well)…however, not as good as a medium California Scientific screen. This CalSci screen did it for me. I'm 6'1" and this thing made my ride comfortable and quiet. Well worth the $200. Very helpful people over there also. Anyway, I toyed around for several years with adjustments, canting the shield, up down, up down.. no position worked. Either the air was coming from underneath and going up under my helmet or it as tapping me on top of the head, or it was coming around the sides and causing me to have blurred vision. At any rate, the CalSci is wider and taller. That was the key for me. The Lip I added on my stocker did blast the wind up over my head, but I still got wind from around the sides of the stock shield. Just my six cents worth.

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
richw, you didn't give the man a fish, you gave him the whole friggin trawler to get his own shoal of fish.:green_lol:
All he has to do now is get all the bits and pieces and build his own, perfect, deflector. You are cruel...but funny.:thumbup:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,406 Posts
Larger windscreens, changing the angles of the windscreen, changing mirrors are all common changes made to V Stroms. Most of the time these are done trying to reduce turbulence as much as anything. They can actually create more of the airflow you describe because they create a bigger pocket of low pressure air behind the "bigger windscreen".

I made a set of deflectors that not only directed air away from the torso area, they also noticeably reduced turbulence. You can see them mounted on the tank in the picture below.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Madstad

IMHO the first stop on your journey is the Madstad bracket which allows you to change not only the angle, but the windshield height as well. You can have the best of all worlds, a windshield big enough to get behind in a rainstorm or drop it down for the twisties or 140+ mph runs.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
search = vstrom vortex

Search vstrom vortex in the box above = there's a thread on here someplace that shows all sorts of vortex generators = tons of info

·
Registered
628 Posts
I use a set of Aerostitch Tank Panniers on my Wee. They protect my upper thighs and lower legs down to about where my boots begin by pushing the air outboard. They also give me added storage space when I'm on the road.

For the windshield, I have gone to the Madstad Bracket and Madstad 20" Adventure shield. That combination gives me the best protection so far.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
... Driving her a couple days in very chilly air, I noticed air flow coming off fairing right unto my thighs and unto my chest & under my chin.
My question is: are there any "wind deflectors" which can be mounted somewhere to give less wind intrusion to the driver? I have seen a bigger wind shield on Ebay for $200 - but no deflectors like those available for other bikes like cruisers. Maybe this has been discussed here and someone can point me in the right direction? If not, any solutions?
You my friend, have recognised right off the bat what most here either ignore or refuse to acknowledge. Not a cure'all, but this will help get you started.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made a set of deflectors that not only directed air away from the torso area, they also noticeably reduced turbulence. You can see them mounted on the tank in the picture below.
not sure what is in photo - is it the black area between grip & directional?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,406 Posts
RS, have you ever posted details on those? I have been pondering similar airflow mods
not sure what is in photo - is it the black area between grip & directional?
In the pic posted earlier looking at the yellow part of the tank right above the black stripe I put on it, and right below the clutch master cylinder/lever in the pic is a black deflector. Mounted at about a 45 degree angle ( front forward/rear 45 degrees from that ) and tilted a few degrees forward. The forward edge mounts with the bolt that attaches the black cowl piece to the tank. The rear has a lip formed into it that I use good double sided tape to hold it in place. You can take the bolt out to remove everything for maintenance, the deflector stays with the tank. Been on for a couple years. It would still be easy to remove completely. I built this set then made a set for the Wee. Not a dramatic difference like a nice properly angled windscreen makes, but you will know right away if they are not there. That is why I made the second set for the Wee!

·
Registered
561 Posts
+1 on the Madstad bracket. I also have their 22 inch windscreen and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My last bike was a C14 with a nice faring and electric windscreen. I do miss that. My formula for the V-strom is a Madstad bracket, Cal-Sci windscreen, and a X-creen. The combination settled the air in the pocket, and I can ride with my face shield up if I want. I bought all the parts used, so the cost was pretty reasonable.

Ride safe...
Dave

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.