StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day fellow Strommers,

I've been thinking of buying myself a new helmet before the big trip to Bingara and just use my old HJC to go to and from work as it tends to get knocked around a bit.

I went and tried on a few including Nolan, Shark and HJC and I do like the shark Flip face helmet at $550 (approx)

I also tried on one of those elmets that look like a motorcross lid but with a full screen that can slide up and with a peak attached to the front.

What style of lid do you guys wear and why? Would the above style helmet be suitable for most types of riding on the wee-strom...mostly road but the occassional dirt or would a full road style helmet without the peak be better?

Does the peak style helmets get hammered around with wind/turbulance much (I noticed they are well vented within the peak)
They look bloody huge compared to a road helmet..especially outfront as the chin part sticks out alot more? are they any good for touring with this kind of helmet.

I'm either considering one of those or a flip face style so I can use it completely open or closed.

One good thing about the Shark Flip face is that that chin section goes completely over the helmet out of the way to the back and looks to be creating some kind of spoiler or something...looks pretty good but the bike shop didn't have one my size..they seem to be a bit smaller in their sizing compared to other brands.

I know almost SFA about helmets..only to get one that feels comfy and is Aust complianced.

Cheers

wobbly_boot

Dave

·
Registered
868 Posts
Helmet

Wobbly, I have a Zeus as you describe like a motocross helmet with a visor and a peak. I dont have any trouble with turbulance etc. I was reluctant to buy a helmet with the peak initailly but i am glad i did. The peak also helps when riding into the sunset or as the sun rises, just tip the head abit and the glare etc is gone. It also helps to some degree when it is raining. All in all a good purchase you can pick them up for around $200. They are called adventure helmets I believe.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Shoei DS. Best helmet I have ever owned in terms of comfort but the best helmet for anybody is the one that fits properly not the one they buy because somebody on the Internet told them to.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Shoei DS. Best helmet I have ever owned in terms of comfort but the best helmet for anybody is the one that fits properly not the one they buy because somebody on the Internet told them to.
+1 What K1W1 says, the one that fits. take one for a ride to 100kmh

Top Brands = Shoe, Aria, Nolan. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Pros of flip helmets = dont have to take it off to pay for fuel or wipe nose or snack/drink on the go.
Cons = a lot more noisy, cheaper brands leak

I looked at a shark flip top a while back but on the one I tried the clips to unlock the helmet were fiddly with gloves, def has to be an easy one handed move.

If $$$ is not an issue my pick of the bunch atm for touring is the Shoe XR1100 going for $600 ($300 off) at hillsmotorcycles castle hill NSW. (my wife has one and I am jealous)

Shoe brand fits my long thin head the best,,, round heads generlly fit Nolans,,, Aria somewhere in the middle.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
G'day fellow Strommers,

I've been thinking of buying myself a new helmet before the big trip to Bingara and just use my old HJC to go to and from work as it tends to get knocked around a bit.
Probably doesn't need saying, but it is a potentially bad idea to buy a new helmet just before a big trip. My latest is an HJC IS-MAX-BT. Fits like a glove now, but that took a liner change, hundreds of miles of ride-testing, and experimental work with a golf ball. A long trip when it was new would have been impossible. Fifty miles and I was ripping it off my head in tears.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gday Wobbly, HJC does me just fine , getting a little worn after 3 years though , tried on a few just recently and must admit the Shoei TZ-X did feel good but will probably buy another HJC when the time comes .

Not long now see you in Bingara.
Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou very much guys with the recommendations and advice...all of which I've taken note.

I can see many good points here that I never considered, especially that post by Lordsmoke about getting a helmet just before th trip and regretting it due to the time it takes to wear-in.
I remembered when I bought my present helmet (HJC)about 6 yrs ago I felt like it was squashing my face too much but now it feels pretty right. Mind you, it hasn't got 6 yrs of use, probably only about 12 months all up. The amount of time I've pulled it off and put it on has frayed the bottom a fair bit and the outside shell is a bit scratched around from placing the helmet in the topbox when I first bought the Wee.
Argh..maybe I'm just jumping the gun a bit and don't really need one at all...I don't really know how to compare the helmet with others to know if it needs replacing or not.

As K1W1 suggested, not to buy one simply because it was recommended but one that feels the most comfy...yes well for that reason I wouldn't even contemplate buying one from the net unworn and untried although I don't know if motorcycle shops will allow a new helmet to be taken for a spin first....

My main initial concern and query was about helmet types, I had a look at the flip face style and liked the Sharks system the best then I tried on one of those adventure style helmets which look to be a cross between a motorcross and road due to the fact it had a visor screen that could be slid between the peak and helmet leaving it open like a MX or visor down like a road....just makes me look more like Darth vader with the chin peice right out in front:green_lol:

Then theres the usual roadbike style fullface helmets that I already have.

Theres also the open faced helmets with no chin guard but have a visor on them...I don't suppose they're any good for anything but local riding/commuting would they?

Not a lot of variety in helmets here in Newcastle so I might have a day down in Sydney and go to the MCAS superstores and check out a larger range.

I'm definately not taking this helmet issue lightly...I wanna make sure I'm getting the right one but don't wanna have regrets.

Thanks for all for the advice so far.

Cheers

wobbly_boot

(Dave)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
+2 on what Kiwi said.

+1 on what Lord Smoke said.

And if whatever helmet suits you best does not have a visor/peak check the link below.

Peter's Safety Solutions - The Latest Motorcycle Safety Gear at the Lowest Prices - Super-Visor - Product review

I have two of these and they are great [can be unclipped whenever you don't want a peak on your helmet].

The main helmet I use is a flip with a drop down tinted visor inside, the other one is a standard full face.

Helmet fit is more important than price.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I remembered when I bought my present helmet (HJC)about 6 yrs ago
From a protection point of view you are probably wasting your time wearing it. No helmet will last that long with regular use. Oil from your head and combinations of sweat and dampness and dirt will have rendered the foam inside the helmet next to useless by now.
Three or years is all a helmet will last realistically even if it's looked after and you are kidding yourself to keep one longer. But there again it's your head to damage and my taxes that will be required for your ongoing care if you do come of seriously.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
And if whatever helmet suits you best does not have a visor/peak check the link below.

Peter's Safety Solutions - The Latest Motorcycle Safety Gear at the Lowest Prices - Super-Visor - Product review

I have two of these and they are great [can be unclipped whenever you don't want a peak on your helmet].
IMO all they do is make a bad situation worse.
They require the visor to be fitted and DOWN to be used. No more riding with the visor up and even low speed because the peak becomes a sail.
You are starting with a road helmet which has a relatively small face opening and then restricting the view even more.
In the bush or any tight stuff when you need maximum air flow it's visor down.
Enduro or DS style helmets have larger face openings which give better peripheral vision (handy even on the road), more air flow (handy on slow speed stuff particularly either around town in summer or in the bush), more space between the mouth and the chin guard (less claustrophobic), the peak works all the time (which is what you want), the visor can be raised or lowered at will, they can be worn in many cases with googles (great for dirt roads in summer) as well. Most DS style helmets can have the peak removed and still be used with the visor. With my Shoei I can have the peak off in about 10 seconds if I want.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Hey W.B
If its any good to you I just not long ago brought a new HJC of the internet at a warehouse on the net. I went and tried the helmut on at a local bike shop first to get the right size then ordered it of the net was a $100 cheaper of the net it works well is comfortable only down can fault with helmut is it doesn`t have enough ratchets on the visor .The first ratchet is about half way up which is lousy if you just want to crack the visor a little bit . The plus is it has a sunvisor built inside which gives plenty of coverage and isn`t that dark but does stop the glare and is great riding without face down the shell has removable liners.These are fully removable and washable hope this helps but doesn`t confuse.
cheers Tweed-Strom
steve c (the other one)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K1W1,

Thanks for your reply, even though the helmet by age is about 6 yrs old, it's probably only had not much more than a years worth of useage due to the fact I didn't have a bike for 5 years.
I bought it when I got my first bike (Kawasaki er5) to get my licence on and the helmet has served me well and now fits like a glove but is starting to look a bit knocked around with scratches and the bottom of the lining, vinyl has started to shred off and flake but the cushioning still feels good. The visor is also a bit scratched but still usable.I thought I stuffed up one of the side clips on the visor the other day when i removed it for cleaning but it's working ok now..took a long time to put it back on though. So while the helmet is old in yrs, it's not really old in use as i've only had the wee-strom for 4 months now.

I do share your veiw on those attachable super-visors though. I think with my present helmet, it would be a hindrance more than anything.

I do think the last bit of your comment though was a bit unneccesary about my head and your taxes.....my taxes too ya know...so we do share the burden.

Steve C, yes good idea mate, I've actually considered that. What do they usually charge for postage on a helmet?

Cheers

w_b

(Dave)

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I went and tried the helmut on at a local bike shop first to get the right size then ordered it of the net was a $100 cheaper of the net

When your local shop closes down please don't come here and bitch. Just accept the fact that you were one of the people who directly contributed to it's closure.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I always thought the most important thing in a helmet is fit.
Find a style to suit ,and then check them out for fit.

They all meet a standard.

I have had all the major brands, currently with a zeus.
Fits me like a glove , an I liked it so much I bought another one 2 years later.

nothing worst than having gear that feels uncomfortable.
Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
By Zeus

I too use a Zues DS. Tested my first one to destruction and my brain isn't any worse for the experience, not any better either. Chin strap can be a bit of a pain as one strap a bit short and fiddly. Purchased mine on line in Australia, measured my noggin then sent info to supplier. I was probably lucky that it was a good comfortable fit.
Oh the reason I went for a DS originally was the peak, I don't like riding into the sun with one hand held up as a shade, a simple tilt of the noggin' is all that is needed with a peak like on the Ds style helmets. I tended to ride a lot of east / west roads and the sun was a pain.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Seems I saw (read?) if you purchase one of those Adventure MX-Type helmets with the big "duckbill" on the front, to make sure it is easily detachable..........i.e. it comes off the helmet in case of an accident since it "could" act like a fulcrum and snap your head backwards (with dire results). Again.......I may have dreamed this.......no evidence or documentation to back up what I typed......don't flame me if I'm wrong. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Peaks on DS helmets aren't as big as peaks on MX or off road only helmets. They are certainly nothing like the "duckbill" peaks we used in the 1970s.
Peaks are made of relatively light weight plastic and they will shatter or bend on impact with the road. They simply are not strong enough to act as a fulcrum that story is just some sort of old wives tale rubbish from somebody who doesn't like peaks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that K1W1 is right here although anything is possible....no accident is the same and people land differently but having a look at the peak visors of the Adv Tourer helmets and they look as though they wouldn't take much of a hit to snap them. I think they were saying something similar about the helmets with the spoiler at the back and if landed wrongly (is there any other way to land?) the spoiler thing at the back could twist the neck and snap it....how true this is..I'm not sure.

I went to another local bike shop this morning after my first half shift of work and tried on some more helmets.

The one I'm keen on and has moved to no.1 on the list is a Shark Vision R

it has wider screen cut-out to give better periphial vision out the sides which my HJC is sadly lacking plus an addition 2nd tinted screen that flicks in place by a lever near the visor side mounts.

http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.php?modele=VISION - R SYNTIC ST White Black Red&sous_gamme=VISION-R&gamme=Sport/route&code_gamme=ROUTE&code_sous_gamme=VIS&reference_modele=HE4222EWKR&langue=AUSTRALIA AUSTRALIA - English

Pretty much the same colour pattern too. It fitted well, felt good, not too heavy and retails for $449

Anyone who has one or knows anyone who has one, I'd like to any comments.

I must've tried on about 20 helmets this morning and my ears are red from sliding on/off/wriggling round etc etc :green_lol:

Cheers

w_b

(Dave)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
IMO all they do is make a bad situation worse.
They require the visor to be fitted and DOWN to be used. No more riding with the visor up and even low speed because the peak becomes a sail.
You are starting with a road helmet which has a relatively small face opening and then restricting the view even more.
In the bush or any tight stuff when you need maximum air flow it's visor down.
Enduro or DS style helmets have larger face openings which give better peripheral vision (handy even on the road), more air flow (handy on slow speed stuff particularly either around town in summer or in the bush), more space between the mouth and the chin guard (less claustrophobic), the peak works all the time (which is what you want), the visor can be raised or lowered at will, they can be worn in many cases with googles (great for dirt roads in summer) as well. Most DS style helmets can have the peak removed and still be used with the visor. With my Shoei I can have the peak off in about 10 seconds if I want.
You fit them on the visor at the height that suits you.

I normally ride with my visor open about 10mm at the bottom and have the peak/visor fitted so it is at the right height to block the sun in that position, I lower my head slightly if the sun angle is low.

As for being a sail, the Super-Visor is designed so itg doesn't catch air when the helmet visor is open ( I have had mine open at speeds up to 180kph with just the tinted inner visor down on my helmet and it didn't catch enough air to feel any pull on the helmet ).

No one helmet is perfect for every riding type, but I find my setup gives a good compromise in most circumstances and without any air drag issues, the peak can be clipped on and off as needed anyway.

·
Registered
924 Posts
There's a good positive write-up on the Shoei DS in this month's Ulysses mag.
(Yes I know you're all too young to be reading Ulysses stuff... Whatever!)
The tester found it well made, well fitting and particularly quiet on and off road.
His one negative was that the peak could have been a smidge larger. He explains his curious reasons as to why he thinks this is the case, and says a little DIY modding would easily fix the problem. Overall, a good thing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts