StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with the Oregon or GPSMAP 62 series hand-helds?
I am interested in trying some geocaching with my boys and of course will use the GPS on my Wee. Any recommendations, advice or real-world feedback????

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Have used the Oregon 400T for two seasons of riding now. It's perfect as far as I can tell.
Oregon's are neat units, but I've read countless complaints about the screen, and it's poor readability in bright sun.

I have a 62CSx, as well as a Zumo 550, and the 60CSx is just great in the sun.

It's too bad, as the Oregon's interface, with a touchscreen, is great from the few times I have played with them.

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Oregon's are neat units, but I've read countless complaints about the screen, and it's poor readability in bright sun.

I have a 62CSx, as well as a Zumo 550, and the 60CSx is just great in the sun.

It's too bad, as the Oregon's interface, with a touchscreen, is great from the few times I have played with them.
But have you used one? Plugged in, brightness is not an issue. The only time it's not plugged in is when it's not on my bike or in my car. I had a 60CSX at one point. Before that was a GPSIII+. Garmin makes decent recreational grade GPS receivers.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
But have you used one? Plugged in, brightness is not an issue. The only time it's not plugged in is when it's not on my bike or in my car. I had a 60CSX at one point. Before that was a GPSIII+. Garmin makes decent recreational grade GPS receivers.
No, I have no personally used one on a bike, but honestly, have read so many complaints about the screen, on forums, that I find it hard to beleive everyone is lying.

Now, you say "when plugged in", which suggests that backlight needs to be running all the time, correct?

My 60CSx has a great screen in the sun....in fact, when the sun shines on it, it's even better, sharp and bright, with no backlight.

While I do plug mine in sometimes, I must say, the bonus of all day riding, on 2 x AA batteries, with no wires or cords, is really nice....simply, clean, effective.

I really do prefer the touchscreen interface of the Oregon, but the screens are small enough on these handhelds, that I would not consider one that is not known to have "great" screen.

Lots of user opinions here : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420347

1 - 9 of 9 Posts