StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading up through NH and VT soon. Anyone have any favorite roads in those states? Thanks

·
Registered
22,238 Posts
Kanc is over rated

I'd plan hitting Rt 118, best section is between Warren & Woodstock

Rt 123 in southern NH

Rt 153 along NH/ME border
RT 113 thru Evans Notch
Hurricane Mtn Road

a ton of other secondary state highways and town roads as well

in Vermont, I'd plan a tour of the notches

Brandon Gap (Rt 73)
Middlebury Gap (rt 125)
Lincoln Gap (some gravel but paved over the notch)
Appalachia Gap (Rt 17)
Smugglers Notch (Rt 108)
Hazens Notch (rt 58)

link them together with Rt 100, best section is thru Granville Gulf,

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kanc is over rated

Rt 123 in southern NH

RT 113 thru Evans Notch
Hurricane Mtn Road

Brandon Gap (Rt 73)
Middlebury Gap (rt 125)
Appalachia Gap (Rt 17)
Smugglers Notch (Rt 108)
Hazens Notch (rt 58)

+1000

Stay away from the Kanc unless you like sucking Harley fumes 10MPH under the speed limit.

As a whole, VT is a better riding state. I'd plan more time there. YMMV.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
FWIW, it is legal in Vermont to pass on double yellow
Damn, I wish I knew that a few months ago.

I'll offer an outsiders opinion. Kanc was gorgeous. Yes, even I was so busy gawking that a Harley could have passed me:rolleyes: I just wanted to appreciate sights and take it all in. I think I could have even tolerated an RV in-front of me. I was in no hurry...and that's not my style at all.

Mt Washington was the highlight of our New England tour and not to be missed. Best if you can avoid traffic ahead of you because they are annoyingly slow. It's a fun road that takes you from lush green at the bottom to a moonscape on top.

New Hampshire was a great state to ride. Roads are a bit rough, but they put out more motorcycle caution signs warning of hazards than any other state I've ever seen (Vermont was good at this too).

Rando mentioned Smugglers Notch. Very cool road in a class all by itself. Ride it if you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
RT 113 thru Evans Notch

Smugglers Notch (Rt 108 )
+1 on these with one exception (see below). I would add that if you do Smugglers Notch, you come at it from the North, make sure to stop right where the center line disappears and the boulders come into play. You can walk around and take some great photos. You will start off in Smuggler's Notch "Tourist Land" from the North, and wind up in Stowe, feeling better about yourself and the ride ;-) Also, through the boulders, there are some very steep, twisty, single lane sections that, in my opinion, are easier to handle with gravity working for you. . .

Stay off 153 if you can, I was on it last month and I think I left parts all over the fricken place. At least between Sanbornville and Route 25. It has to be the worst road I've ridden this season in New England. Normally, it's a great road AND it parallels the highly traveled Route 16.

Dixville Notch up in the "North Woods" of New Hampstah is very nice, the Notch is so-so, but the road is nice and the view of the the Balsams is great.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Kanc is over rated

Rt 123 in southern NH

RT 113 thru Evans Notch
Hurricane Mtn Road

Brandon Gap (Rt 73)
Middlebury Gap (rt 125)
Appalachia Gap (Rt 17)
Smugglers Notch (Rt 108)
Hazens Notch (rt 58)

+ 1 on the Rt 123, while there you might want to also take RT 124 to Jaffery. Look for RT 137, take it across 101 up to Hancock. Very tight, very twisty, especially north of 101. I think it is well worth the ride. Then you can pick p Rt 47 (off of 202) to get you headed north w/o a lot of highway mileage. :)
My two cents.

·
Registered
22,238 Posts
+Stay off 153 if you can, I was on it last month .
in the past couple weeks, the DOT has put some shim coats preparing for resurfacing, for sure there will be new pavment before the end of the season, but maybe sooner than that

lot of stimulus money is going for pavement

word of warning if you take rt 26 over Dixville notch, the "hump" at the notch has a K value of about zero, it goes from a +15% grade to a -15%grade with a vertical curve about 3 feet in length, anything over 15-20mph over the crest and you'll be completely airborne

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
in the past couple weeks, the DOT has put some shim coats preparing for resurfacing, for sure there will be new pavment before the end of the season, but maybe sooner than that

lot of stimulus money is going for pavement

word of warning if you take rt 26 over Dixville notch, the "hump" at the notch has a K value of about zero, it goes from a +15% grade to a -15%grade with a vertical curve about 3 feet in length, anything over 15-20mph over the crest and you'll be completely airborne
Randy, thanks for this, we are headed up to Freedom tomorrow evening, camping and towing, that is our preferred tow route, if the bumps have been smoothed over, we'll take it.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the info. I made some notes and checked the links that were recommended also. Weather is supposed to be nice for a week.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Thank you all for the info. I made some notes and checked the links that were recommended also. Weather is supposed to be nice for a week.
Weather is supposed to be AWESOME for the next week. Possibly the best stretch of riding weather we've had this year. . .

And I will be "Sans Strom" for this four day weekend. . .

Enjoy your ride.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Kanc is over rated

Rt 123 in southern NH

RT 113 thru Evans Notch
Hurricane Mtn Road //
^^Listen to him.

The Kanc isn't that great a motorcycle road. It is a very good riding road with great scenery. If you are from outside the region and want to take it easy and stop here and there for some nice views, it's great. Some of thee best riding roads follow river valleys so there isn't much of a view. I've driven Rt 113 the last two days in my WRX and it's a terrific motorcycle road, but runs along Squam Lake and a valley so there aren't a lot of vistas.

Many of the folks who live in the region tend to poo-poo the Mt Washington Auto Road, while others consider it the highlight of their trip. That's one I'd definately play by ear as the weather on the "rockpile" is pretty insane.

OP, it would help if you mentioned where you will be entering the region from and what your itinerary is. From PA many people would ride up through W CT into VT, then head E into NH from someplace farther N. But others would come up Rt 84 to Worcester, MA then head N through central MA into NH. YMMV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Vermont Rides

The gaps have all ready been mentioned many times. My favorite roads would be Rt. 14 from White River Jct to Newport. Any of the roads in what is referred to as the "Northeast Kingdom". Less traffic up there. I would stay away from Rt. 100 on the weekends, too much traffic to have any fun. There are many great secondary gravel roads that you can find on a map. They are usually well maintained and packed. A great source for current road construction is www.511vt.com. If you get out at first light all the roads are usually uncluttered, but by 10:00 the leaf peepers are usually out and about slowing you down.

GM Shooter

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got back from my NH,VT and ME trip. Great weather as we all know. I did a lot of suggested roads, plan on going back several times again until I do ALL of them, wife agrees. Randyo, I did the Kanc, I enjoyed it. It is not the Dragon but that's not all I look for, the scenery was nice, I'd ride it again. Man, I wish fall was 5 months long and winter was 1 month. Back to work and into the boring sky now. I'll be looking down and wishing I was on my bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts