StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all from Belair MD, USA. I just picked up a new 2014 DL650 ABS ADV. Not my first motorcycle but it is my first one of this type. I noticed, but not right away, that the left pannier is a quit a bit wider than the right one. I realize that the muffler is also on the right side and it would be necessary to keep the right pannier away from the heat. But it doesn't come any where near the muffler. The frame for the pannier is well clear of the muffler too. So I am bewildered as to why the difference in size. Is this normal or did I get 2 different bag by mistake? If it's normal, I can live with it. But it does look a bit odd. Thanks in advance. :confused:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The muffler side is narrow-er than the other side. This gives you somewhat of a equal distance to the outside of each case from the center of the rear wheel. Notice I said "somewhat"

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's normal. Stand behind your bike about 20 feet and look at them for symmetry. Then imagine both being the same size in width and how it would look.

Some people hate the two different sized bags, some people don't mind. Just depends if you prefer the overall distance to be about the same from the center of the tire each way, or if you notice your eyes go the size of the bags instead.

And welcome to the Strom family.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The muffler side is narrow-er than the other side. This gives you somewhat of a equal distance to the outside of each case from the center of the rear wheel. Notice I said "somewhat"
You are right. I just measured from the center of the rear rack. There is about 2 inches of "somewhat". Thanks for clearing that up. I also own a 2003 Moto Guzzi California EV so I am used to "Quirkiness". Love the Wee and this forum is rich in content. Very nice. :thumbup:

·
Registered
219 Posts
From a distance it's not really noticeable, but the huge gaps does make the bike seem wider than a cage sometimes! It comes in handy on long trips to have all the storage space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts