StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new guy here ooking for some maintenance advice. I’ve bought a 2007 Wee non-ABS with 33,000 miles (55,000 km, as I’m in Canada). Basically unknown service history as the seller who has owned it for 10 years was pretty vague, which led me to assume nothing has likely been done other than oil changes (and heavily influenced what I ended up paying for it). The bike starts and drives great, so I have no sense that there is anything in particular that needs attention.

I bought it last week, and so far I have:
  • Flushed and replaced the brake fluid (old fluid was a little dark, but not bad)
  • Flushed and replaced the coolant (old fluid was darker green, but not bad)
  • Replaced the fork oil (old oil was quite grey, but still viscous and reasonably clear)
  • Looked at/felt the front wheel bearing when I had the wheel off (seems fine)
  • Inspected the brake pads, definitely some life left
  • Cleaned, lubed the chain and adjusted the chain sag
Once parts arrive I will remove the tank and:
  • Replace the air filter
  • Replace the spark plugs with new iridium plugs
  • Check the valve clearances (or at least assess how hard getting in to do it will be).
For a 13 year old bike with this mileage, what other things should I be looking at? I assume checking the valves is pretty much mandatory at this mileage (it starts immediately on the first or second revolution, so no obvious indication that valves are out of spec)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a little over 92,000 on my '05 and I haven't done anything you already have listed here. Everyone is going to have different experiences but I've found this bike to be incredibly durable with just moderate maintenance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your right on track, did exactly the same with my 09 wee new to me last fall. I'd snug up all the hex key and other bolts because they can loosen. Torque specs in service manual which you be able to find online.
Valve check took me about 4 hrs, most of the time getting all the plastic "bits" off, you'll see. time should be less time because now I have some practice for the job. my valves were all in spec, a few a little tight bur still within spec so I did no adjustments. Will re-check in 10K or so miles. 2 previous owners older guys and I suspect it's led a gentle life. I rarely push past 8k on the tach so it may be one of those bikes that never needs a valve adjust.
Next I'd also do an oil change and take a close look at the tires and brake pads if it were me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone, new guy here ooking for some maintenance advice. I’ve bought a 2007 Wee non-ABS with 33,000 miles (55,000 km, as I’m in Canada). Basically unknown service history as the seller who has owned it for 10 years was pretty vague, which led me to assume nothing has likely been done other than oil changes (and heavily influenced what I ended up paying for it). The bike starts and drives great, so I have no sense that there is anything in particular that needs attention.

• Flushed and replaced the brake fluid (old fluid was a little dark, but not bad)
  • Replaced the fork oil (old oil was quite grey, but still viscous and reasonably clear)
  • Replace the air filter
  • Check the valve clearances (or at least assess how hard getting in to do it will be).
For a 13 year old bike with this mileage, what other things should I be looking at? I assume checking the valves is pretty much mandatory at this mileage (it starts immediately on the first or second revolution, so no obvious indication that valves are out of spec)?

Thanks!

• Replace the air filter

Thanks!
Looks pretty thorough!
Did roughly the same when I got my 07 about 5 years ago with the exception of the fork oil and initially the valves.
I guess the only thing else were inspection of things like throttle/clutch cables, nuts/bolts, hoses/lines, etc.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks guys for the other tips. I will definitely add those to my list.

My other current bike is a Honda ST1300, which is entirely shrouded in a 3D jigsaw puzzle of plastic Tupperware. Removal on the plastic on the Wee is a piece of cake in comparison!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Since you don't have any service records, perhaps you should add these to your maintenance list: inspect / clean under counter (front) sprocket cover, check the clutch and pushrod seals for leaks, grease the clutch worm gear if required (contains small ball bearings so take care) and check front and rear wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Your list of things to do looks good. For comparison my '09 has 86K miles, and I've only done the same things you outlined. If you plan on keeping the bike you may consider a headlight relay (Eastern Beaver sells them) to prevent loosing your headlights. Plenty of info on it here that explains problem better than I can. Also keep your eye on the battery voltage, or install a volt meter, stators are known to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great tips, thanks folks. After looking at the comment about the a voltage meter, I did note that my bike has a little LED light meter of the green/yellow/red variety with a sticker indicating the voltage ranges for each. I guess the PO installed it given the potential stator issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check the tires, rubber degrades over time, how old are they? May look good, but may need to be replaced due to age? I had to replace the cush drive, but I don't remember the details of what led that, in my 06 43,000 mile Wee. Recently had a starter issue that was resolved with a $16 starer re-build kit, (see maintenance section for the gory details)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got finished all my maintenance items other than new front tire and spark plugs, which arrive on Thursday. Super happy that the valves were ALL well inside of spec. The “worst” (closest to the outer edge of the range) was the Front Left Exhaust valve at 0.22 mm, so perfectly fine.

This bike had its first check at 33,000 miles, and no shim adjustments were necessary. I think the next valve check will be at 60,000 miles.

Thanks guys for all the tips. I am now ready to hit the road, might head to Alaska this summer if the border is open.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congrats... I picked up a 2009 last July with 7k miles. I did the items you listed and then just added gas and oil...
Have a 400 mile ride planned tomorrow through beautiful North Central Oregon. Stay safe!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats... I picked up a 2009 last July with 7k miles. I did the items you listed and then just added gas and oil...
Have a 400 mile ride planned tomorrow through beautiful North Central Oregon. Stay safe!
Love that area of Oregon. Sumpter, John Day, etc. You can ride around on fabulous race-track twisty roads for a week and not run out of new ones. Have fun!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Aside from checking the tires themselves, my Rubber valve stems were dry rotted/ must not have been changed with the tires. one cracked and was leaking when I tried to add air, and would only leak with lateral pressure. I was able to order the correct replacements and changed them with the wheels and tires on the bike using strong clamps to move the tire aside and swap them out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aside from checking the tires themselves, my Rubber valve stems were dry rotted/ must not have been changed with the tires. one cracked and was leaking when I tried to add air, and would only leak with lateral pressure. I was able to order the correct replacements and changed them with the wheels and tires on the bike using strong clamps to move the tire aside and swap them out.
Good tip! Thanks.\

1 - 14 of 14 Posts