StromTrooper banner

New Guy needs advice

715 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  PTRider
Hello everyone -

I just bought a '09 Orange DL650 with 775 miles on it. It is bone stock. I have not ridden it yet (the wife thinks I'm "storing" it for a friend). I've purchased a few items from VStroma such as crash bars, skid plate and center stand. I am considering paniers and top case and seem to be leaning toward soft bags. The Cortechs look good but they seem to have longevity issues. I am also concerned about the suspension. VStroma has a kit for a new rear shock and fork springs. I am also thinking about Ride Tech Gold Cartridge Emulators. If anybody has any experience or advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am not so good at finding revelant threads on the forum, so pardon my ignorance.

About me - I am 48 with 2 YOUNG kids (newest is 6 months old) and not a lot of time to ride right now, but I try. Any DL650 owners in the Olney/Ashon, Maryland area?

Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
878 Posts
I wouldn't change a darned thing until you've ridden it at least 1,000 miles. Don't get sucked into believing you have to change a ton of stuff on the strom to make it right. It's right for many people as-is.

And I would never recommend soft bags on a street bike.

· Premium Member
1,516 Posts
STOP!

You need to be honest with your wife!

You're not telling her because she will be pissed, right?

Stop f'ing with your own head and come clean with your wife.

OR

Tell me to piss off and live your own life, but remember...

...what goes around comes around...

...dishonesty is a relationship killer.

· Registered
297 Posts
I am not in Maryland but Northern VA.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
I have never tried that with my wife...with bikes anyway. She can count to three so its too hard.

But it does work great with guns. There are too many in the safe for her to count. I took her a year to figure out I had aquired a new single shot....Cabelas was suppoed to ship my scope in a plain brown wrapper...

· Premium Member
704 Posts
+1 on riding for a while before you go crazy with altering the suspension. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing, but for my riding I've been satisfied with the stock setup. Lots of other things to spend money on.

Regarding the soft saddlebags...kinda depends on what you're going to do with them. I have a Bestem top case on the bike full time and add the Nelson Rigg saddlebags when I travel. I wouldn't use the NR's as full time bags, but they hold up quite well for part time use.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Darrel,

Yes, do get lots of seat time before you upgrade the suspension. The upgrade depends a lot on your weight and your riding style.

Vstroma has had some less than stellar reviews...products that didn't arrive or didn't fit. If yours are good, fine. The shock they offer is from Progressive Suspension Inc. They're a good outfit, but we have few reviews of their shock. In any case, murphskits.com has it cheaper ($377) and gives great service. Vstroma's front springs are from their Asian supplier with a mixed reputation. They don't give the spring rate of the springs and most suspension pros don't find a need for progressively wound front springs. Two great suppliers with excellent set up advice are sonicsprings.com and svracingparts.com, both good members of this forum. Blair at svracingparts.com is a source for both the RaceTech emulators and Racetech springs. Sasquatchrider.com does a top job of modifying the stock shock; I don't know if it turns out better than Progressive Suspension's shock. The Sasquatch shock will be set up for your weight and riding preference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.