StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's as tax season is rolling in I'm thinking pretty hard about picking up a vstrom... and as such I figure I should probably quit lurking and say hi. I've been trying to decide what bike I'd like to buy for quite a while now. I grew up riding dirt bikes pretty much every weekend. I've owned anything from a 1970 yamaha clear up to a newer KLX 650R. I have not however ever owned a street bike. The part that makes that a very sad fact is that I work in a motorcycle repair shop. Now let it be said that i'm a big guy (6'3" 340lb). What are your opinions on someone like me hopping on a factory suspension of a 650 vstrom? I love pretty much everything about these bikes, but I dont want to regret spending the money on a bike either if it wont handle my weight. I have been looking at 650's because of the fuel mileage as well. if the 1000 got anywhere near as good as the 650 i'd probably buy a 1000 instead. I'm open to suggestions and mostly looking for the wisdom of more experienced street riders than myself.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am 6"5' 215pds and love my 2011 Dl650. For me I needed some more leg room so I did switch out the 650 stock seat for a 1000 stock seat and that was a big difference. I know you can get a peg lowering kit but I didn't want to loss road Clearance. The power is great so you can keep up with anyone and if you want to relax you sit back and enjoy the ride.
Other than that you will find yourself just adding other accessories. For me the touring windshield, stebel air horn, side cases and my new one the super fork brace which I am looking forward on installing.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Place the word Sasquatch in the google search box near the top of this page, that fellow can set you up with the correct springs for your new to you DL650!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
What are your opinions on someone like me hopping on a factory suspension of a 650 vstrom?
Like putting a one ton load in a half ton truck. Springs that match the riding load and possible gearing down a sprocket tooth will make the bike work much better for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts