StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New V-Strom rider (DL650A) in Reno looking for anyone else in this area, or riders who want to check out this side of the Sierra.

Drop me a line if you want to ride...

Best,

Farnie

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Welcome from the South!
Vegas, but I do like to buzz up the 395 side to Tahoe now and then.
Mike

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm riding your direction today, going to the Horizons Unlimited todo in Mariposa county.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in Reno too and just bought my bike in Octiber! I'm a fair weather rider; it's gotta be at lest 40 degrees for me. Fortunately, it was warm October I was able to do about 1000Mi before it got too cold for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just so you know, a couple of us, long time BMW riders, just came back from an Adriatic Motor Tour in Eastern Europe. We both rented 650 V-Stroms for the tour and were so impressed with the rental bikes that when we returned home to Plumas Country in Northern California, we both picked up low mileage 650 V-Stroms. The 650 is lighter that the big BMW GS and we are so far delighted with the machines.

The area around and north of Greenville and Lake Almanor contains some great riding roads. Dennis Rouse a while back wrote an article in Rider Magazine about the good motorcycling roads in this area titled "The Hidden California." For sure Highway 36 from Red Bluff to the coast is one of, if not the best, motorcycle road in the USA.

Also, the "Flying Monkeys" in Greenville is worth a ride up from Reno just see the shop and the local characters that wander in and out. Owner Chis Gibbs holds court and sells high end Vanson leathers at an excellent price.

Come up our way. Ride safe and enjoy that bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sadly, Ozzie passed away a year or so ago. He was 80+. However family and crew still running the Chico CA dealership.

With Ozzie passes a wealth of knowledge about older BMW bikes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check in! Any of you Reno/Tahoe folks still on the forum? Hoping some are subscribed to this not-so-active old thread. I`m a Reno long timer (Lemmon Valley, really), just got a used wee to keep my trusty old DR650 company. Most of my current riding buddies prefer dustier rides than what I plan on doing with my Strom, so taking a peek to see who`s rolling here. And if anybody has a different seat than I do, I sure wouldn`t mind a temporary swap to see if another model might feel good before writing such a big check! Mine came with a Sargent that leaves my wife and I both feeling like we`ve just received a swift birthday spanking- thinking it might be a bit too soft and squooshy, but it`s hard to tell exactly what is wrong. Anyway, now I`m subscribed, will pop in whenever some action appears here. Have a good one, guys!

Brian DesJ

·
Registered
96 Posts
Greetings from the other side of the hill! (Sacramento/Citrus Heights area). I have both a Wee and a DR as well. I've been hoping to set up a weekend ride over Henness Pass some time this summer or early fall (there's probably still snow up there I would imagine), probably camp somewhere along the way. I don't know that area much at all, but I hear there's lots of nice spots to explore and the roads are tame.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Greetings from the other side of the hill! (Sacramento/Citrus Heights area). I have both a Wee and a DR as well. I've been hoping to set up a weekend ride over Henness Pass some time this summer or early fall (there's probably still snow up there I would imagine), probably camp somewhere along the way. I don't know that area much at all, but I hear there's lots of nice spots to explore and the roads are tame.

Henness Pass Road is really fun and Wee friendly. I used to live in Sacto and had a friend who lived in Oregon House outside of Marysville. We used to ride The road frequently. You can ride all the way to Reno from Camptonville with only a short jog south on 89 via Stampede Res and drop into Mogul near the state line. Lots of other roads, some more DR friendly, in the Downieville area. Chimney Rock trail comes to mind!

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Henness pass rd looks like that could be hours of scenic fun. Not into the stratosphere like some Colorado passes.
I've ridden many of the paved roads in that general area but looks like lots of dirt too. Does the County of Forest Service take care of them and grade them?
Our local Nat Forest/Nat Monument does't have many dirt roads open to the public. They want us to stay home and watch telly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
From what I have read the Henness Pass road is well maintained. On 4x4 forums they deride it as a "mall crawler" road. But that sounds just about right for me and my Wee - I'm going for the scenery rather than a technical challenge (and a herniated disc from lifting my bike).

That being said, I imagine all bets are off until the snow melts and the runoff clears - probably into August or September.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi, guys. I just got home from vacation and was happy to see the new action here :)
2WG, I saw your post on the Sac thread also, responding only here at this time since I am still waiting to find out my work schedule for next week, hopefully will propose a little meet-up if possible.

Re Henness pass Rd, like all dirt roads, it changes year to year. When dry, it should be pretty much fair game on a strom even for a casual off road rider (no problem at all on a DR). That said, it does have some sections that I would best describe as "extremely bumpy" except when freshly graded. The most bumpiest of all is probably the first two miles or so out of Verdi. Mostly washboard with some rocks, but nothing that will flatten your headers as long as you go nice and slow. I have not been over it yet this year, but hear that it is now clear between Verdi and 89, will post back with a condition report when I get around to riding it.

The other part that tends to get a little sketchy is at the opposite end of the unpaved part, just east of where it ties into Pleiscene Ridge Rd (how the heck do you spell that?) by Alleghany. That section seems mostly subject to how many cows have been out grazing- can get dust so deep that it makes slow speed maneuvering a little difficult, or can be all clumped up from heavy hooves digging into it when wet, kind of like riding on a tamed down version of Devils Golf Course down in DV. Last I heard about the 89 to 49 section, people were still snowmobiling from Webber Lake, but that was several weeks ago.

You can ride all the way to Reno from Camptonville with only a short jog south on 89 via Stampede Res and drop into Mogul near the state line. Lots of other roads, some more DR friendly, in the Downieville area. Chimney Rock trail comes to mind!
The east end of the old HP route ties into Bridge Street in Verdi. Until about the mid 90s, it was not too awfully bad to get from Dog Valley to Mogul, but I don`t know of a way still good enough condition to get over on a big bike unless the rider is much more skilled than I am. I can still do it on DR by a couple different routes, but they are all a struggle for me even on the "little" bike.

I really need to go try out some of that Downieville stuff one of these summers!

I've ridden many of the paved roads in that general area but looks like lots of dirt too. Does the County of Forest Service take care of them and grade them?
Most of it it marked by Sierra County road signs and co-signed with USFS numbers. What that means for whose maint responsibility it falls under I can`t say. Maybe one of you has a guess?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts