StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new bike today, an 04 with 42K miles on it. Cosmetically it is in great shape, needs a little love mechanically. Once it is safe to ride my 22 year old will get to use it occasionally, should be a better learning bike than my FZ1.

Needs new tires to start. Rear was rubbing on a trailer hitch support when the suspension was loaded. Sprocket hub is wobbling bad, so at a minimum it needs new rubber. Ordered up a pair of Conti trail attacks. For as bad as it handled with the back tire coming apart during the 40 mile drive home it is a really comfortable bike.

Previous owner pointed me towards this forum for info. Need to spend some time looking through the forum to figure out other things I should be checking once the obvious stuff is done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I suggest that you have a close look at the sprocket carrier bearing, there are a few posts (if you do a search) of the bearing failure.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the Forum. I suggest that you have a close look at the sprocket carrier bearing, there are a few posts (if you do a search) of the bearing failure.
The bearing is definitely bad. There is no way the carrier could be moving the way it is if it was in one piece. Already ordered a full bearing/seal kit for the rear wheel and carrier from All Balls

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Congrats on the find and Hola.
Tell me about "oldjeep", I've had a couple. Always worth a bit of a story.
With only 42K miles, seems odd that stuff would be worn out. But pulling a trailer, as implied by the hitch, stuff does get worked harder.
I used to munch rear drives on my BMW pulling a KwikKamp, transmissions too.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if he had ever actually pulled a trailer with it.

Oldjeep - used to build and offroad jeeps when the kids were little. Went through a string of them over the years. Bunch of old pictures at the website in my signature

Should have just about everything I need on the way. Pair of tires, sprocket and chain kit, bearings, and some grip puppies ;) I'll see if I need new damper rubber when I take it apart tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost at the end of what I can get done until the rest of the parts arrive. Got it all stripped down and cleaned to within an inch of its life. Must have removed 5 lbs of chain wax goo from the swingarm, wheel, sprocket cover, etc. Did an oil/Filter change
Ordered
Pair of Conti trail attack tires
17/43 gearset with chain - already here
machined Spacer to shift the sprocket hub over
Full set of rear bearings and seals
Battery strap
New damper rubber for the rear wheel
New slave cylinder dust seal
Factory center stand
Clutch lever
And probably a few things I am forgetting. All should be here by Tuesday night.

Last thing to do is get into the air filter box, the directions look like a treat. Can't figure out making it that tough, I can get the filter out of my Yamaha in 5 minutes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look ma, no jackstands. No idea why a centerstand is optional, but well worth the money and 15 minutes it takes to add it.

Hopefully my tires and damper get here tomorrow so I can button it up

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All back together enough for a test ride tomorrow. Still have a new clutch lever coming to replace the one with the end snapped off, but otherwise mechanically ready to go. At some point I still need to check the air filter and replace the plugs - and figure out why the fuel gauge seems to be stuck at 3/4 when the tank is near empty.

After that comes some side bags - thinking Solobox, for the price and it seems to fit the aesthetic of the bike better than the givi bags on my other bike.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts