StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using a Garmin 2730 since 2005 that is getting iffy. I don't want to spend the $$ for the Zumo 6**, etc and am considering a Nuvi 550 or one like the Nuvi 2555.
I have several questions:
I like the 5" screen on the newer Nuvis but realize they aren't waterproof. Is this a serious problem?
I understand the 550 doesn't give audio instructions-not sure this is a big deal but am used to it on the 2730. Is there an audio jack on the 2555 for this purpose?
I'm concerned about the battery life-Garmin claims 8 hours on the 550 and 2 hours on the 2555. The battery on the 550 is readily accessible and could be easily swapped for a charged one.
I understand the charging plug on both these units have some problems-serious?

TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
279 Posts
I picked up the Zumo 220, recently. I love it. Also, I went down on dirt road and slammed and spun the bike pretty hard. The device is doing just fine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The deal breaker for me, bikes and Nuvis is the inability to turn off auto recalculate. The object of these bikes is to plan a route in MapSource and go where you planned. Autorecal is a pain in the ADV ass.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I used a 550 Zumo since 2008 & it served me well, till last Sept., when it got crazy screen. I was gonna get a digitizer off Ebay, till I found a Nuvi 1350 with lifetime maps marked down to $104.00.
After I started using it, I decided not to repair the 550, that it's software was "primitive".
I'll never pay big money for a GPS again, electronics just evolve to rapidly. I paid $575 for the 550 and feel it didn't earn it's oats, long enough.
I'll suffer with whatever drawbacks the 1350 throws at me, for what it cost and if it poops the bed, getting wet of whatever, I'll cross that bridge.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm checking these newer Nuvis out as well. They have audio turn instructions but do they have an audio outlet jack for helmet speakers?

Can't tell for sure on Garmin's site. Ian, Iowa

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I have had a Nuvi 550 for 3 years, and use it on both the Wee and in my car. So I will try to answer some you questions. (BTW the Nuvi 500 and 550 are the same just different maps).

I like the 5" screen on the newer Nuvis but realize they aren't waterproof. Is this a serious problem?: The 550 is waterprooof. I have used it in the rain several times, with no problems.
I understand the 550 doesn't give audio instructions-not sure this is a big deal but am used to it on the 2730. Is there an audio jack on the 2555 for this purpose?: The 550 does give audio instructions, but you can't really hear them on the bike so I turn it off. As stated earlier it doesn't have an audio jack so no hearphones. I haven't had a problem with this at all.
I'm concerned about the battery life-Garmin claims 8 hours on the 550 and 2 hours on the 2555. The battery on the 550 is readily accessible and could be easily swapped for a charged one.: There are several ways around this. Either put a power outlet on the bike and plug the GPS in, or you can wire in a power cord directly to the bike (which is the way I went, just unplug the GPS when not in use).
I understand the charging plug on both these units have some problems-serious?: Really...what kind of problems? Its just a mini usb plug same as on all kind of electronic devices. I haven't had any problems at all with mine and I am contantly pluging and unplugging the thing.

Hope this Helps.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I picked up the Zumo 220, recently. I love it. Also, I went down on dirt road and slammed and spun the bike pretty hard. The device is doing just fine.

Cool, how'd you get the Suzuki logo on it?

If I ever get a GPS, I really don't need it to direct me; what I really want is simply a Google Maps type readout where it shows me Where I Am, and it displays all streets, roads, and highways with the ability to EASILY zoom in for greater detail, like G Maps. Which of these GPS works like that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you aren't stuck on the large screen you can find the Garmin Dakota 20 for under $250. I just got one and love it. I can plan routes (no auto-recalcuate), save tracks, upload other peoples routes, its water proof, and I can use it for hiking, fishing and cycling. I don't have any issues seeing the screen and it is glove friendly being touch screen.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
If I ever get a GPS, I really don't need it to direct me; what I really want is simply a Google Maps type readout where it shows me Where I Am, and it displays all streets, roads, and highways with the ability to EASILY zoom in for greater detail, like G Maps. Which of these GPS works like that?
I use mine (Nuvi 550) like that most of the time. I call it a rolling map. I set my GPS up to always have North up and looking down (like a map), that way it's like I'm looking at a physical map that moves as I do. As I zoom in or out the details change, more zoom more detail.

·
Registered
103 Posts
gps

I have been using the nuvi 295w for a year now, you can download up to 18routes,more with memory sd card, it is the size of I phone. ziplock baggy and its water proof. amazon $110.00. No problems with it so far

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If you aren't stuck on the large screen you can find the Garmin Dakota 20 for under $250. I just got one and love it. I can plan routes (no auto-recalcuate), save tracks, upload other peoples routes, its water proof, and I can use it for hiking, fishing and cycling. I don't have any issues seeing the screen and it is glove friendly being touch screen.
The Nuvi 550 has way more features, is also water proof, cheaper and comes with maps... Only issue is seeing the screen in direct sunlight...

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Nuvi 550 has way more features, is also water proof, cheaper and comes with maps... Only issue is seeing the screen in direct sunlight...
I guess it depends on what features you are looking for and how you will use it. For me the Dakota 20 wa a better option for how I use it. A great site to compare features is Garmin Nuvi 550 Comparison vs Dakota 20. One useful feature of the Dakota is the option to transfer data to other units. I've been on a ride before and we decided to change routes and I didn't have the route loaded on my GPS. My friend simply transfered it to mine and we were on our way. Both are great reasonably priced units.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You will despise auto recalculate when you choose a nice twisty route through the mountains and can't do it exactly like you want.

Nuvis don't do tracks for the dual sport crew either.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I'm checking these newer Nuvis out as well. They have audio turn instructions but do they have an audio outlet jack for helmet speakers?

Can't tell for sure on Garmin's site. Ian, Iowa
My 1350 doesn't, but audio isn't important for me. I couldn't hear the Zumo anyway. I just got helmet speakers & mike, so maybe I would get to appreciate that now, but I hate it interrupting my tunes

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have the Nuvi 550 and like it. I have it hardwired to the bike, but the first time I used the hardwire, I forgot to reinstall the inline fuse so it ran on battery power for several hours no problem. Waterproof. I carry a netbook on my trips with Mapsource so I can build or edit routes and reload to the GPS in the evening. Less than $300 for the GPS, mount, hardwire and shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts