StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking for some new gloves and because local gear is limited I wanted to pull from the expanse of knowledge on this board to help with my Internet shopping. I hate giving up control feel for warmer gloves, I am looking for my best option for the least bulk possible and best control feel I can find and keep my hands comfortable around 40 degrees and up. I know below that I will have to deal with more bulk. I may be wrong but I think there is something out there from me. I am taking any suggestions and consider the price secondary.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Warmer gloves will equal bulk. You could use heated liners, which is what I use. If you really really want to avoid glove bulk then consider adding heated grips.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Also consider putting on Hippo Hands (Or any other similar gauntlets.). With these I have been able to ride comfortably for over 2 hours in the low 20's. All that just using summer gloves.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Oxford grips, and I'm really digging my Aerostich competition ropers. When next I purchase cold weather gloves, I am thinking they will be the merino-lined version of the same. An important consideration, perhaps the most important one with cool weather gloves, is a long gauntlet to keep the chill out of the sleeve - hugely important!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Most of the time I wear my leather Gauntlet gloves with a liner. If they are too thick I don't like them. Heated grips are nice...

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
For 40 and above, I'm comfortable with heated grips, unlined buck skin gloves, and hand guards on the bike helps alot too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the advice, I had considered heated grips and hand guards in the future. what I have right now are the icon 49er mesh gloves for summer, some pretty good dear skin gloves with some insulation and some really bulky winter gloves, I love the 49ers because they have little to no padding between my hands and the grips but don't care for riding with the other gloves so what I am looking for are the warmest gloves I can find without giving up feel, something that will break the wind and has some good insulation on the tops but do not get in the way and than I will add stuff on top of that like liners, heated grips and hand guards.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Another alternative is uninsulated gloves large enough for wool or thin fleece glove liners plus a chemical hand warming pack if needed. The chemical pack goes into the glove on the back of your hand where it warms the blood going to your finger tips. These stay warm all day.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Thank you all for the advice, I had considered heated grips and hand guards in the future.
I would put that at the top of the list. It will change your world. :yesnod: you might find, then, your insulated deerskins are more than adequate. The only reason I switch to some cheap winter gloves is because my Ropers lack a gauntlet to keep the chill out of my sleeve. The guards also help deflect light rain. Come to think of it, add a pair of Hippohands, and you could ride gloveless all year. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
With Hippo Hands, heated grips and thin leather groves I'm good into the low 30ies - well at least my hands are. Below about 35 my legs get cold after 40 or 50 miles. This is with leather pants over jeans. Always some problem to solve.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I use my Cannondale winter mountain biking gauntlet style gloves for COLD weather er biking. Sturdy build, Warm, wind-proof, water resistant, and minimal palm padding. I also have suzuki hand guards, and sometimes use Koski brand 'hippo hands'.

R

·
0 Posts
I think Hippo hands might the way to go. That way you can use light gloves.
I use the regular "winter" rated m/c type gauntlets. They are a pain in the neck.
The problem is that when your hands are wet (rains a bit here in the Vancouver area) it becomes almost impossible to get your fingers in the gloves.
If you remove the gloves for any reason you need a dry towel to get your hands back in.
Perhaps there is a brand that uses a better glove liner but I haven't found them yet.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've been using Rev-it H2O gloves for years in all kinds of conditions and they are the best gloves I've owned. What really got me was how they were able to pack so much armor with cold protection and not make them bulky. I've compared them with other "winter" gloves and not only are they warmer, but again, they do it without the bulk. I also have a pair of Rev-it for Summer riding. They're just damn fine gloves and you'll definitely get great value for your money.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a pair of tour master Polar-Tex gauntlets with thinsulate.

They are good to about 28 degrees for 30 minutes or so on my cruiser with no hand guards. Then I my fingers start to hurt.

I have a feeling they would be good for a lot longer on the vee.

Everybody reacts differently to the cold. There is a difference between comfort and safe. It's hard to be comfortable in the cold but it's very easy to be safe.

·
Registered
900 Posts
After realizing my leather-only gloves weren't gonna cut the mustard for cold-weather riding, I zoomed over to the local-ish moto gear place and found some Firstgear Kathmandu gloves ($80.00) that fit my big mitts perfectly and have been keeping them good and warm (my Wee is knuckleguardless and heated gripless).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Forget the model; first go into all your local bike shops and try everything on that might do the job.
The most recommended glove is not going to be much use if it does not fit you.

I rarely buy gloves on the net because the fit varies so much with the little finger frequently being too long on my hands.
I sometimes also experience gloves that are too tight around the base of the thumb.

About 2 years ago I was looking for short summer gloves and liked the Alpinestar designs.
I tried on 4 different model Alpinestars and they had 3 different fits !
I ended up picking the 3/4 model glove (superseeded). A month ago I found another pair of 3/4 on the net and purchased them for the same fit

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been wearing Gerbing T5 leather gloves since November.

Turning the heat on and they have been warm and comfortable into the low 20's for extended time. I turn the heat off/ on in the high 40's. Above that I run the gloves with the heat turned off. Without power they are a comfortable, lightly insulated leather glove. I think I will be able to run them under this configuration into the high 70's before needing to swap into summer gloves.

I recommend a comfortable set of heated gloves. They meet your low bulk requirements, but also will be warm enough for any temp.

Good luck.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 21 Posts