StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Just thought I post about a couple of new items I've bought lately and my thoughts on them.
First up is my new jacket, a Dririder Defender.
I've been wearing it now for just on three weeks and it's started to mold in nicely. It's a triple layer jacket with separate wet, thermal removable liners. It's a bit heavy with all the layers in, but during this cold time, I've found I can ride without any heavy jumpers underneath, and during the warm weather it will have ample ventilation. There are the usual four front pockets, an internal wallet, and a mobile pocket, and on the rear a pouch. It's pretty much a full touring jacket, and comes with certified CE armor. If. I have any gripes, it's that you can't remove the wet liner without removing the thermal one, but otherwise I'm very happy with it.

Next up is my new Gaerne GQuad boots. These are a full touring boot with Gortex lining so they are fully waterproof. Having already ridden in rain I can attest to them being that. Again I've been wearing them for about three weeks, and now they've started to wear in a bit, they are becoming very comfortable, and easier to get on. The snap lock clips and Velcro tab at the top make them a lot easier to get on and off than my Rossi boots, but no more comfortable to wear. The one thing they don't have is a gear change pad, but I don't see this as an issue.
Z
Overall I'm very happy with both jacket and boots, and if your looking at new gear I'd recommend both these, though the boots are getting harder to get now, with a newer model released.

Cheers
DL

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hi DL,I am in the market for a new touring jacket,I need removable layers also,Have just about made my mind up on the Dririder rallycross pro 2,did you peruse that jacket at all ? I would like some feedback,the one you have looks the goods--does it have plenty of venting for the hot days ?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
G'day Paul,

I'm still using my Rivet Razor I bought on sale for $99 almost five years ago. :confused:
They are no longer available but I'm sure there is an "updated" version.

It's not fully waterproof any more, leaks slightly through one vent zip [but I have an idea on treating the whole jacket including the zips].

I have been thinking of going to the DriRider gear for my next jacket, I will be interested to know how yours turns out after some use.

Never found a fully waterproof pair of boots yet. :headbang:

Cheers,
Ock

Ride Safe, Ride Far.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hi Ock,I too am looking at feed on the jacket albeit Paul has only had it 3 veeks,a run down to Cooma tomorrow would be a good benchmark :jawdrop:Bikebiz have the one I have in mind at $269 rrp $399 so a good price,I have the no name thing I bought at Albany from a person who possibly makes better curry than motorcycle attire,off to Canberra in a week or so will go see if Fishwick can do a good deal.:yesnod:

·
Registered
527 Posts
................off to Canberra in a week or so will go see if Fishwick can do a good deal.:yesnod:
That'll be on motorcycle gear, right Don :confused::mrgreen:

:cheers2:
BOB

·
Registered
811 Posts
I got sick of buy gear that didnt deliver as promised, so bit the bullet and bought REV it, "sand" Pants and Jacket, this stuffs not cheap (but not as dear as BMW), but is similar in quality to the BMW stuff.

BikeBiz sell it, down your way

Welcome To Rev'IT Australia

Shop Rev'it!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dririder rallycross pro 2,did you peruse that jacket at all ? I would like some feedback,the one you have looks the goods--does it have plenty of venting for the hot days ?
It's not fully waterproof any more, leaks slightly through one vent zip [but I have an idea on treating the whole jacket including the zips]
I have been thinking of going to the DriRider gear for my next jacket, I will be interested to know how yours turns out after some use.
Never found a fully waterproof pair of boots yet. :headbang:
Hi Don, didn't look at the rally pro 2, not many to choose from in my size unfortunately, and this one seemed to fulfill all I needed in a jacket.
Once all the liners are removed for summer/hot weather riding, there are 4 chest, 2 upper arm, and a large back vent at shoulder blade height so it should have plenty of ventilation, and at $459 it isn't one of the cheaper ones around.

Hi Ock, one of the reasons why I got the new jacket is because my old Motodry one was split and leaking through the waterproof lining. It's still good for short day rides (if you can call any of my day rides short :green_lol:) though.
Well I can garrantee the Gaerne's are waterproof mate!

Cheers
DL

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got sick of buy gear that didnt deliver as promised, so bit the bullet and bought REV it, "sand" Pants and Jacket, this stuffs not cheap (but not as dear as BMW), but is similar in quality to the BMW stuff.

BikeBiz sell it, down your way

Welcome To Rev'IT Australia

Shop Rev'it!
Unfortunately for me Glenn, there isn't a lot of gear available in the over 5XL sizes, though I got lucky with the jacket since it's 4XL which normally don't fit.

I still have to source new over pants, so hopefully I'll get lucky with them and get something of quality. I guess I'm a believer in you get what you pay for so price isn't really an issue.

Cheers

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick follow up

Just to let those who asked, the new jacket is proving itself to a really top buy.
So far riding in constant rain has shown no leaks and is very warm to wear with minimal under it. I.E. Just a tshirt

The boots are also proving themselves to a a nice buy, very easy to get on and off for long boots, also nice and warm on cold days, and yes 100% waterproof through all the rain we've been having.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
It's pleasing to buy stuff that does what it's supposed to.:yesnod:
Ta for the update DL:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Good feedback DL ta,Had another look at the rally cross jacket and the external CE stuff on the shoulders and elbows is making me think I'm not Chad--All I want is a good 3/4 touring/every day jacket--ps my riding gear needs to be waterproof in case I get caught in the rain :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Good feedback DL ta,Had another look at the rally cross jacket and the external CE stuff on the shoulders and elbows is making me think I'm not Chad--All I want is a good 3/4 touring/every day jacket--ps my riding gear needs to be waterproof in case I get caught in the rain :yesnod:
I bought a Shark jacket about 6 months ago off ebay, with CE armour and is shower proof/rain proof for at least 1/2 hour, 94 bux. A good jacket for price and I dont need to take wets to and from work :thumbup:. Biggest disapointment is it only has 2 external pockets but I can live with that.
I also have Thomas Cook waterproof jeans, no protection but warm and dry :thumbup:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good feedback DL ta,Had another look at the rally cross jacket and the external CE stuff on the shoulders and elbows is making me think I'm not Chad
it seems these days Don that Dririder is leaning much more towards protection, my jacket has the external shoulder and elbow armor too, and of the other jackets in their range I've seen, they either have it like mine, the one you looked at, or internally at the same locations, or they have the highly reflective stripes fitted. One of the jackets I looked at in their range had bright yellow reflective striping, but it wouldn't fit even though it was the same size as the one I bought .......... "go figure huh"
Now that I've had the jacket a little I don't even notice it anymore, the armor that is :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
External Armour + Helmet

I have just purchased the Pro Rally 2 from Bike Biz for $269 plus postage, took a couple of days to get here. After the slide down the bitumen my Ixon jacket was stuffed, it did its job well but had I slid much further I just might have exceeded its ability to protect, so I went for the jacket with the extra external armour this time. The wife wants to know if I intend making a habit of testing jackets, I hope not.
The jacket appears to well made but it does have a lot of zips and is fairly heavy, I thought the water bladder would come inhandy up here in the tropics, I also like the pouch on the back, a handy place for the waterproof liner.
I now have to find a new helmet to replace my Zeus DS. It too did its job. I have looked at the RXT DS but it feels a bit light/thin in the jaw area. I also tried the Fly DS. Both of these are cheaper than the Zeus but I'm still looking. :confused:
Suggestions are welcome. I won't be buying an Aria or anything in that price range.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I bought a Shark jacket about 6 months ago off ebay, with CE armour and is shower proof/rain proof for at least 1/2 hour, 94 bux. A good jacket for price and I dont need to take wets to and from work :thumbup:. Biggest disapointment is it only has 2 external pockets but I can live with that.
I also have Thomas Cook waterproof jeans, no protection but warm and dry :thumbup:
Don; me too re Thomas Cook w/p Jeans. I find them hot not just warm, best winter strides you can buy. Warmer than moleskins and they are great in rain showers, almost w/p. as claimed.
Not so good the Thomas Cook M/C boots. I admit that on a trip to Vic. last year on a 6 hour ride in non stop torrential rain, the boots were asked a lot of, but, they turned into soggy miss-shapened leather and I sloshed when I walked. They are good in dry days with sticky proper rubber soles.

I was tempted to buy the Gaerne boots D.L. bought but read an English report that said they were not properly W/P. D.L. likes them. I shudda bought them too.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well I finally got over to the nations capital yesterday to visit the dear old mum and Canberra motorcycles [in that order :yesnod:] I do like to shop locally but not a lot to choose from--I went over hell bent on a dri rider rally cross pro 2 jacket and came home with the new dri rider vortex airflow--it has zip out thermal and wet liners with the best ventilation I have seen--time will tell-just as well I purchased from a dealer as all my clothing re jumpers/shirts are XL and I had to go with the 2XL with the bike jacket --purchased on line I would have saved a quid and cursed my stupidity with the sizing.Bobby thats all I did in Fyshwick BTW-:biggrinjester:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts