StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garmin has introduced a new GPS named the Zumo that is specifically for motorcycles. Stromette mentioned that she had seen an advertisement in a magazine for them, and I found some info on Garmin's web site. In fact they have a whole section of their site dedicated to the new model at This Link The site is slow as Christmas because it's all Flash driven and the multimedia stuff is apparently HUGE! If you get tired of waiting on it, Here Is Another Page that isn't Flash driven and much faster to load.

It has some interesting features that make it prettwell suited for motorcycle use, such as:
o Left-handed buttons
o Glove-Friendly touch screen
o Includes a motorcycle mount (I think I saw that it was a RAM mount)

It's a slick looking box, and I'd love to see one in person. For the $1,100 MSRP it will probably stay on the shelf though :lol:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not to mention the ability to trade points of interest between other Zumo users. Those POI can contain sound and pictures. Think of the potabilities when used with a headset. Like riding through a place like Gettysburg with the Zumo pointing out where the battle took place. Since you can make your own POIs with sound and pictures people can trade tours of their area. I see this feature alone being a big deal for touring riders.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks a lot for pointing this out... Now I'm gonna be wanting one :roll: Look at this:

"With optional XM subscriptions and an XM antenna, you can check the weather, move ahead of traffic and listen to the radio when you travel with zumo." - one less extra device I'd have to shoe horn onto the handebars

"Built-in MP3 player and JPEG Picture Viewer" - Bye bye iPod, and I can put own crude maps on it

"With zumo’s Bluetooth® wireless technology, you can talk on the phone safely without removing your gloves or helmet." - ok riding and talking probably not bright, but handy for when you are riding around town and someone important calls and you don't have time to stop, yank off your helmet, fish out the phone, and take the call

"SD card expansion makes it easy for storage and route sharing." - I have two Garmin GPSes as it is, and this is a feature I wish either had. I'm always having to remember to re-load the maps onto the GPS for the area I'm headed to.

"Includes Garmin Lock™, an anti-theft feature" - Maybe I won't have to shove it into my pocket everytime I stop like I do with the radar detector.

Hell, it just needs a radar detector built in and it would just about be the ultimate device to own.

But here's the part I don't like:

"Suggested Retail Price:
$1076.91 U.S.D."

Drat.... :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are right, it is a cool box. Thank Stromette for pointing it out :lol:

I'd love to have one, I need a GPS with a larger screen, but the price made me choke. I'm also not sure I want the first version of it. I figure I'll wait a year or so and they will come out with something that gets all the bugs out at a much lower price.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Guess I'll continue to get by with my $149 Garmin Etrex Legend. When I squint real hard at it, I can almost see the map. Thinking about getting a big magnifying glass...

- Tom

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I'll continue to get by with my $149 Garmin Etrex Legend. When I squint real hard at it, I can almost see the map. Thinking about getting a big magnifying glass...
I can relate ... I've got the ETrex Legend C and it's the same size, I think. I did run across a "Screen Magnifier" that fits on them but I don't recall where I saw it now. It would almost be worthwhile I think. But, I've got eye surgery in 2 weeks and hopefully that will help "Clear" things up a bit ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
SCraig said:
............................... For the $1,100 MSRP it will probably stay on the shelf though :lol:
$999.00 here

·
Registered
482 Posts
Remember the price of the 2610 when it came out? It was high too but street price was $100 to $200 less and within a few months refirbs with the full one year warranty could be had for half the MSRP.

On the weather info issue. I had to write Garmin to get the full understanding. Here is the bottom line. With the Streetpilot series like the Zumo you can get the XM NavTraffic which gives you a brief forecast for 2000 metro areas in the US. This is the same NWS forecast you get from a $10 radio shack weather radio. Only the marine GPSr give you the NEXTRAD XM weather map overlay that shows storms and rain and all the other cool stuff. Even though both are delivered by XM they have very different capabilities.

Price wise they are very different too. If I recall correctly the NavTraffic is only like $15 a month. The NEXRAD is $50 a month with a $100 set up fee. Now for those who want the NEXRAD there are some of the marine GPSrs that will take the City Navigator software and do auto routing just like the Streepilot series.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
My sister and mom just got a NUVI, and it is really easy to use. I took it on a hike, and tested around town.

NUVI ONLY.....

For street use they are great, but worthless off road since you don't get a track log with it. But it was so easy to use, speed indicated right on the front as well as large screen and 3D-maps. It got every street right as I made it recalculate my route by missing turns. The touch screen works well with gloves, I tried to see if it would since I have been looking at the ZUMO. Lots of drive through touch screen ATM don't work well with gloves and that's the only thing I can compare to.

END Of NUVI :roll:

From reading the notes on the ZUMO, I see it will gather Tracks, which is a must for me. And from the looks of it, it is just like a ruged NUVI with track capabilities.

I like it, it draws the maps faster than any of my other garmin products. I will keep my Rino 530 as my bike to bike radio, Hunt and Fish time and moon calendar :p

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
>> If I recall correctly the NavTraffic is only like $15 a month. The NEXRAD is $50 a month with a $100 set up fee. <<

NavTraffic is $60 per year, and you get the first 3 months free with a new Garmin. When I checked into XM Weather last month, they wanted a $100 set up fee and it was $100 a month. Fooey on that!

I can already get radar maps on my Sprint phones and if I'm out of their data coverage area for very long, I always have raingear on the bike.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Also you have to buy a special $100 to $200 antenna just to unlock the XM.... it is not just a regular XM antenna.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought a brand new Garmin 2720, with extended warranty (on Amazon.com) for about $700. There may be some left, but I'm sure the price is rising. Sellers of these items are not going to be allowed to buy in bulk the way they used to. I hear Garmin is trying to protect the small Ma & Pa businesses.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just did a search at Amazon for the Garmin Zumo (motorcycle GPS), and found them available from several retailers for about 9% less than retail.

I'm not sure if forum rules are being broken here. That's the last thing I need to do. So, that's all from this guy on this subject. Happy shopping, folks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If it were about half the MSRP I could maybe be talked nito gettnig one.
I wish there was one that allowed you to input a SIRIUS radio as I have one and love it.

·
press any key to continue
124 Posts
I am also getting by at the moment with an eTrex Legend...

A giant Fresnel lens is sounding more appealing right now than a $1K+ replacement GPS.

Despite the really cool featurs of the Zumo or new TomTom, I am thinking that a Quest II will suffice for now (maybe even a Quest I).

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to agree. My only complaint with the ETrex Legend C is that the screen is quite small. On the other hand, it does fit in a jacket pocket very nicely ;) I'll probably keep using mine for a while and look at a new one next year some time. I have a few other things on the wish list to think about as well.

V

·
0 Posts
I've had a 2820 for awhile and its been great. The main advantages of the Zumo compared to the 2820 are:

1. The newer Sirf chipset for quicker and easier GPS reception.
2. A battery for short periods of use away from power.

The bluetooth systems on both the Tom Tom Rider and the 2820 do not work with my Motorola Razr phone. Its the phone's fault so to speak, so before you get to taken in by the bluetooth hype just make sure that you have a phone that you know works with the GPS. And by make sure I mean actually try to find someone who has used the phone with the GPS and it worked. It seems like the Sony/Errikson phones are better. My Razr paired easily with either the Rider or the 2820 but when sending or receiving calls the connection would always drop out. I finally concluded it was due to some inability of the phone to keep track of the bluetooth signal when the GPS was communicating with the phone and the bluetooth headset at the same time. Prior to the Razr I had a Motorola V551 and had the same problem. I'm guessing that the Razr would not work with the Zumo either.

I also just read a blurb over at engadget.com about the new GPS satellite system that should be up and running by 2008 and will have GPS lock times of a couple of seconds and more accuracy. So I think I will wait till then for any new GPS stuff. Especially since I bought the 2820, the 60csx, and the wrist 205 this year:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts