StromTrooper banner

New Gal

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rider1951 
#1 ·
My first post as a registered member - just wanted to say hello. :D

I'm waiting for the '04s to come in and am planning a comparo of the 650 v. 1000 Stroms (I can ride either since I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam). I've been riding for 30+ years on all sorts of bikes but am currently switching from a Harley (bad back) and am concerned about rpm's. I tested an FZ1 but found the high rpm's unsettling - I've spoken with a friend who has a Strom and he assures me the revs are much lower than that on a Strom, we'll see how the little one fares.

G
#2 ·
RE

QBOTU,

Welcome to the board. I like you am waiting for the '04 models to come out, I'm only interested in the 1000. I see you are used to low rpm scoots. I have an naked '01 SV650, which is a great bike but like everything else it's size it turns some rpms on the open road - nature of the beast. I think 70 mph has the tach reading about 5500 rpms. Redline is 10,500. I'm sure you know that the 650 'Strom is essentially an SV650. You can still do trips on it, I have installed a Barsnake and foam grips to reduce some the handlebar vibes, along with a small windshield and Sargent seat to increase highway comfort . If I add a throttle lock then it would definitely would make a decent (albeit high reving) sport tourer. One of the many things I like about the DL 1000 is the overdrive 6th gear and the bikes ability to make a great touring machine.

If you love the excellent FZ1 you could always change the sprocket sizes to bring down the cruising rpm and sacrifice a little acceleration which, running high 10 second 1/4 miles there is plenty to sacrifice and still have a hellishly fast scoot.

-Bruce

#3 ·
Revs

QBOTU,

What about the higher revs is unsettling? Is because you came off a cruiser that lopes along at 3000 RPM? Inline 4s, like the FZ1, are made to rev higher. Their redline is alot higher, needless to say. V-twins do not rev as high as I4s and well, I guess that's why you're interested.

I think you'll like the Strom (650 or 1000). They'll have more power (torque) in the lower rev range similar to a cruiser. I4s power is in the higher end of the powerband. FYI.

Welcome!

#4 ·
Thanks for the nice welcome!

I think you are both spot-on about why I find high revs a bit odd - I've been riding lower rev bikes for quite a while and whenever I'm on one running 6000+ I keep trying to upshift :oops:

I could get used to anything but the V Twin nature of the Strom REALLY appeals to me. With any luck I'll be a proud Strom owner in time for Bikeweek!

G
#5 ·
Howboucha QBOTU!
Great to see you on the board. I am just "down the road" from you in Clay City, IN (East of Terre Haute). I do have some Champaign-Urbana ties. My Aunt and Uncle (John and Caroline Kearns) have lived there forever. John spends much of his time hanging out at the Jolly Roger! I think Caroline was on the city council a few years ago. I did buy a BMW from the shop there (Savoy).

Anyway, when you get your V-Strom we should hook up for a ride. There are other V-Strom owners on this board that live in your area.

Keep two wheeling,
Brendan Kearns

G
#6 ·
November 2003 Bike magazine has a one page new model writeup on the DL650, pg 40.

<snip>
Engine. The SV650 V-twin lump is retuned, with shorter duration camshafts for more torque and a smoother throttle response...
</snip>

I think this means lower RMP :wink:

My wife went from a GSF600S (Bandit) to a BMWR1100R. The Beemer is bigger and heavier - she took to it like a fish to water - claims it was laregely due to the lower RPMs of the big twin (but I think the heated grips also played a part :lol: )

Welcome, from another in the 04 waiting room...

-Jack

#8 ·
Brendan, I've met your aunt several times. I work in Mental Health and we have to hit the cities up for housing $$ from time to time. We'll have to get a ride going this spring, maybe you can show me some interesting Indiana roads - as you no doubt know, the roads around C-U lack scenery and challenge :wink:

Rhino, I had an R1100R and really liked it - I didn't care for the cost of tires that I seemed to be replacing at an exponential rate. I hopped on my brothers Harley and thought "I really do have too much performance on this Beemer, and since the Harley is soooo much cheaper - I'll get that instead! :roll: " I've been on the Harley for a couple of years now and like it a lot but I like to do a lot of miles (19,000 on my Harley) I need a bike that won't keep killing my spine.

So, since I've found you guys and you all seem to really like your bikes, I think I'll give one a try. I had thought about a BMW F650 but the ChainGang website scared that idea right out of me!

#9 ·
Hi there welcome to the board. I think you will like the V-strom. I've had mine since April 2002 and with over 19,000 miles on it like it just as much now as I did when I bought it. I came from a 97 R11RS so I'm use to the 4000 rpms the bike likes to cruise at. I'm curious about how the 650 will run. Depending on how much luggage you travel with and how many hills or mountains you plan on going over will pretty much determine which bike to get. If the BMW had more perfprmance than you needed then I'd say the 650 should fit the bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.