StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm spending a lot less time on the forum now.
I hit the new posts button and if nothing interests me, mark all as read and I'm out.

I like the new software but I'm thinking that it's going to reduce the actual time on station for most users.
Is add revenue going to be impacted by fewer and shorter visits?

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
There's ads? :)

Since I have to use Firefox (or other "modern" browser), I haven't seen a single ad. Don't even have to log in (except to post). I'm sure they'll fix that.

The only time I see ads is when I forget and try to use Internet Explorer. Or when I use my cell phone which is almost never.

YMMV

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat, Spec. Ever since the format change, I've been less inclined to want to participate in the site. I can't really explain why, other than the new format isn't all that appealing to me. Seeing thread titles like "Liberals are Insane" and other overtly political stuff as soon as I hit the new posts button has definitely changed the tone of the site for me, and made my interest in it wane even more. It's a definitive sign that the Greywolf era is over and done.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RC now that you mention it I too don't like seeing the Trooper forum threads on the main page. It does change the vibe of this friendly motorcycle forum.

Mods if my vote counts for anything I vote to not have the Trooper threads show on the top levels. Make it like it used to be, need a separate password to even view it.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
RC now that you mention it I too don't like seeing the Trooper forum threads on the main page. It does change the vibe of this friendly motorcycle forum.

Mods if my vote counts for anything I vote to not have the Trooper threads show on the top levels. Make it like it used to be, need a separate password to even view it.
I second that, Spec. I realize that outrage and polarization are the currency of the internet, but up until the format change, they at least managed to confine that nonsense to one room where you had to want to participate in it. If I was a new member on this site and one the first threads I saw on the new posts page was the "Liberals are Insane" header and the various other politically motivated posts, I'd probably delete my profile and move on. My political affiliation is irrelevant; those sorts of threads are a neon sign to a person that "your kind ain't welcome here", and that this forum is no different than a Youtube comments section. This nonsense has been seeping into the site ever since Greywolf died, and with the format change, the nonsense has been officially indoctrinated as a new feature.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I agree, I am done quickly most visits. Maybe we are missing some hidden features that make the site better but we have not found them???

To add to the grips. The "Top Photos" are totally meaningless. Why are they even there and always the same photos?

And is anybody ever looking at the "Trending Discussions"? I never do, another useless part of the home screen IMHO.

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock

·
Administrator
16,787 Posts
Made a request with VS admin to delete that section, it's not being done correctly as it previously was, and the feedback about it all is proof positive that it's not overall wanted here.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm with @Spec , not really liking the new format. I used to post detailed threads of my maintenance or other projects, Example. Fortunately none of my photo-links got broken in that post which is a problem with a lot of content on the new system. I didn't check my other posts because there doesn't seem to be any way to find old posts started by me, just my most recent posts. As an aside, even this comment box is not conducive to posting quality content. Also, I just noticed that when I choose to edit a post all I get is an error that "you can't edit more than 10 different posts in 7 days" but I haven't edited ANY posts in the past month atleast.

It feels like with the redesign (optimized for mobile use) everything is ephemeral to resonate with the distraction, short-attention span and dopamine-hit culture to harvest more eyeballs. It may take time to become obvious but nobody is going to be posting quality content or discussions on their phone while on the toilet or stuck at the DMV. Quality content and discussion is on its way out and with it at least my eyeballs and I don't think I am alone. In my opinion, VS has shot themselves in the foot trying to monetize the site and its users.

Also, @Big B I agree that Trooper Arena needs to be quarantined (i.e. filtered from appearing on the "New" or "Popular" feeds) or just deleted. I would prefer it be quarantined like it was before because I think the country is divided. I support forums for discussing divisive topics instead of trying to squelch unpopular opinions which won't work in the long run anyway. But if it can't be isolated it should go because it dominates the "new" feed which should be moto focused.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I had the same issue with the editing; I posted about it in another thread in this sub forum. I got that same warning about editing posts, and I hadn't edited 10 posts either. At least several of my old posts I made of projects I've built now have broken links to the photos that accompanied the posts, or else the links direct to a totally unrelated post. The photo albums are no longer logically organized; there's no list of albums, just a big mass of photos on a page that you have to hover over to determine what the photo is and where it belongs.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I get the very distinct impression that VerticalScope isn't going to address any of these concerns and site bugs.

·
Administrator
5,312 Posts
We have been attempting to get VS to act on various concerns - #1 being the Trooper Arena. So far we have been unable to rectify the issues mentioned by forum members.
Now that Xmas is over we are expecting some response to your concerns.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm with @Spec , not really liking the new format. I used to post detailed threads of my maintenance or other projects, Example. Fortunately none of my photo-links got broken in that post which is a problem with a lot of content on the new system. I didn't check my other posts because there doesn't seem to be any way to find old posts started by me, just my most recent posts. As an aside, even this comment box is not conducive to posting quality content. Also, I just noticed that when I choose to edit a post all I get is an error that "you can't edit more than 10 different posts in 7 days" but I haven't edited ANY posts in the past month atleast.

It feels like with the redesign (optimized for mobile use) everything is ephemeral to resonate with the distraction, short-attention span and dopamine-hit culture to harvest more eyeballs. It may take time to become obvious but nobody is going to be posting quality content or discussions on their phone while on the toilet or stuck at the DMV. Quality content and discussion is on its way out and with it at least my eyeballs and I don't think I am alone. In my opinion, VS has shot themselves in the foot trying to monetize the site and its users.

Also, @Big B I agree that Trooper Arena needs to be quarantined (i.e. filtered from appearing on the "New" or "Popular" feeds) or just deleted. I would prefer it be quarantined like it was before because I think the country is divided. I support forums for discussing divisive topics instead of trying to squelch unpopular opinions which won't work in the long run anyway. But if it can't be isolated it should go because it dominates the "new" feed which should be moto focused.
I'm spending a lot less time on the forum now.
I hit the new posts button and if nothing interests me, mark all as read and I'm out.

I like the new software but I'm thinking that it's going to reduce the actual time on station for most users.
Is add revenue going to be impacted by fewer and shorter visits?
I second that, Spec. I realize that outrage and polarization are the currency of the internet, but up until the format change, they at least managed to confine that nonsense to one room where you had to want to participate in it. If I was a new member on this site and one the first threads I saw on the new posts page was the "Liberals are Insane" header and the various other politically motivated posts, I'd probably delete my profile and move on. My political affiliation is irrelevant; those sorts of threads are a neon sign to a person that "your kind ain't welcome here", and that this forum is no different than a Youtube comments section. This nonsense has been seeping into the site ever since Greywolf died, and with the format change, the nonsense has been officially indoctrinated as a new feature.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I HATE THIS FORMAT!!!! I haven't been here very long but the previous format was comfortable and yes, friendly. As you might see from the above mess, I tried to reply several times but I end up quoting someone, when, out of curiosity I press quote.... well you can see... All of the comments above get my ditto. My visits may become infrequent.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,254 Posts
I kind of forced myself to "learn" the new format. Isn't the first time, even here, that I have had to reboot and start over!

Everything is going mobile site friendly. I wouldn't know if this site is much better on mobile apps? But some here will know. I suspect that is the biggest reason for the format. Then there is the social media frenzy, which like that stupid fad called the internet, will eventually die down....

I feel confident I can figure out most anything to do with a computer, so I have spent the time required to get comfortable here.

What suprised me MOST about this thread is exactly what I found myself doing.....I don't spend 1/2 as much time here as I did before the new software! For instance "new posts" are something I use often but it is common to have to go to page 2 or 3 to get to all of them. Due to the placement of social media attention getters, who posts the most posts today, who spanks those for being out of line, and the VS adds to get you to enter their other owned forums.
If a post listed as trending is so important, I figure it will show up in "new posts".

This extra fluff has taken up too much of the site. Usually I have to say after a couple weeks all is good with a site. This time I cannot say that. It is not good at all. I won't leave because of it of course, but the lack of help from VS on certain things isn't helping.

While I am at it, WTF is up with the pictures on the header? Sure we all like the new bikes. BUT one friekin' model? That is a telling me that if you don't own a brand new model, you are trailer trash and not welcome.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Realshelby posted "While I am at it, WTF is up with the pictures on the header? Sure we all like the new bikes. BUT one friekin' model? That is a telling me that if you don't own a brand new model, you are trailer trash and not welcome. "
The header photo is from Suzuki. A variation of it comes up on Suzuki.ca as part of the scroll of photos on their main page. Perhaps Suzuki pays VS to use it like an ad. As far as VS not responding well to our concerns/complaints one must remember that we are not the customer here. We are the product. The advertisers are the customers here. Admin has a hard time understanding that they need to respond to our concerns or they won't have a quality product to sell. Then again most admin are compleatly out of touch with what is happening on the ground and don't want to hear about it from the people that do know.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
BC Rider is correct, which is why I don't think VerticalScope will do anything to address any issues with the site. They're a social media conglomerate with a couple hundred websites, and are owned by an even bigger Canadian media conglomerate, and their only real interest is in ad revenue and monetizing the consumers of their product (us). The main purpose of these forums, once they're bought up by a company like VerticalScope, is to become a resource for advertisers. The user experience is a distant second to that primary goal. It's no different than Facebook's main goal.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,254 Posts
Well, I AM and advertiser here. I have access to how many hits a site gets. How many are online. And historical data to compare. Happily sent out to show where my money is working for me....

I am also a customer. And I think my history shows I am an active and productive member.

Both of us are unhappy with the site!

·
Registered
112 Posts
My phone is my only computer. I'm not cool enough to be on Face book. Never been one to be up in someone's business, nor do I enjoy playing the "look at me" game. Although I care about where the future of our countries are going and how we treat one another, I'm not a voter due to "them all" being snakes and only using us to pay for their high stakes lifestyle.
I've really enjoyed the "other bikes" threads when ppl respectfully argue about which bikes are best. Hahaha! I get such a kick out of it. I want one of each brand AND color. Reading about trips ppl have taken, or work they've done on bikes is always interesting. Because I'm a mobile user only, I never knew the Trooper Arena existed until the transition. It's almost like no one uses the site for its intended purpose anymore. I miss those days to be honest. Maybe it was like that before I had access to it but it's really the only thread that gets much attention when I log in. My visits have dramatically dropped off.
I'm not sure when we began having so much hate for each other, or what president was in office when it started, but I think its getting out of hand. I'm planning on making the trip to Tn in late May this year to enjoy time with fellow Stromers. I've never done something like that and I want so badly to meet like minded ppl who enjoy anything 2 wheels as much as I do but I'm so afraid I'll be camping and riding with a group of ppl that hate one another just because of the color of bike they have, or dare I say who they voted for. Heck, they both might gang up on me for not being a voter. Ha! I dont want my first StromTrooper meet up to be a nightmare equal to a Hells Angels / Mongels meeting.
Can you imagine being a new Vstrom owner looking to meet up with others at a function like in Tn after reading how we treat each other on this site?
I'll end with this... when V-Tom, Realshelby, Mr RichlandRick, RCinNC, BigBoy, OldJeep, NotaCop, and a couple others ever start a new forum, I wanna be invited please. But only if we can rib one another from time to time for riding a bmw!
Have a great weekend and as always, safe travels in your journey gentleman.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts