StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of threads concerning suspension upgrades, progressive springs, etc, but I haven't been able to get an answer to the question I have.

I weight, er um, considerably more than what the stock suspension on my Wee was designed to handle. I have been looking at getting a set of Sonic Springs are they are the most reasonably priced offering that has different spring rates available. I'd love to be able to spring for springs and some cartridge emulators, but both my budget and patience are limited. What interests me most is an easy and quick installation.

Between myself and my father, there is no problem being able to pull the front end apart and draining the old fork oil to replace with something a bit thicker. My question is if I would be doing myself any favors by just dropping in some new, heavier springs without changing the fork oil? Is the stock damper unit and fork oil at all up to the task of handling the heavier spring rates, or must I put in heavier oil?

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
If you get Sonic springs....you will have all the info and supplies that you need to do the job "right".

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I know there are a lot of threads concerning suspension upgrades, progressive springs, etc, but I haven't been able to get an answer to the question I have.

I weight, er um, considerably more than what the stock suspension on my Wee was designed to handle. I have been looking at getting a set of Sonic Springs are they are the most reasonably priced offering that has different spring rates available. I'd love to be able to spring for springs and some cartridge emulators, but both my budget and patience are limited. What interests me most is an easy and quick installation.

Between myself and my father, there is no problem being able to pull the front end apart and draining the old fork oil to replace with something a bit thicker. My question is if I would be doing myself any favors by just dropping in some new, heavier springs without changing the fork oil? Is the stock damper unit and fork oil at all up to the task of handling the heavier spring rates, or must I put in heavier oil?
The stock oil doesn't provide enough damping even for the stock springs, when you go to better springs that will get worse. So it's a reeeeaaallly good idea to change the oil at the same time.
And fork oil should be change periodically anyway, so the spring swap is the perfect time to do that.

·
Registered
797 Posts
For what it's worth, I was able to do the full job myself in just a couple of hours. Rich provides some great instructions and the front end comes apart pretty easily. The longest part of the job was getting Home Depot to cut the PVC pipes to the appropriate length for me.

I used pneumatic car jack with a folded up rag on top of it to hold the Wee up by the bottom of the engine while the fork was apart. Worked like a charm.

Change the oil and you'll see a big difference. Rich will take care of you :cool:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock oil doesn't provide enough damping even for the stock springs, when you go to better springs that will get worse. So it's a reeeeaaallly good idea to change the oil at the same time.
And fork oil should be change periodically anyway, so the spring swap is the perfect time to do that.
Thank you for chiming in on this. I will be ordering the springs from you as soon as I get some other essentials on the bike squared away.

I was quite honestly just trying to be lazy. My bike has low miles, so I figured the original fork oil was in decent shape. I was hoping I might be able to get away with just doing the fork springs until I had to change out the oil. The best thing, I know, is to do it right the first time.

The complexity of the job is not at all the issue, just was hoping I could get away with dropping the springs in and riding. This sounds like a good project for the winter when I am not as inclined to want to ride and won't care if the bike is out of service the better part of a day I would otherwise want to be riding.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts