Strom Trooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, first and formost for me a new Sargent seat. Huge improvement over stock! Looks great, feels great, fits great. Ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV, got it two days after placing order! Well packed, arrived in perfect condition. Very happy with the seat and Rocky Mountain ATV

Next up on the comfort agenda was a set of bar risers. I ordered a cheap set of 1" risers for $28 bucks on EBAY. I really like the comfort. combined with the Sargent seat, a huge difference in position and comfort.
however you get what you pay for, I dont like the looks(see picture) I will probably change them out in the future.

I forgot to take pictures of the Grip Puppies! they were one of the least expensive items I purchased ( $12.50 delivered to my house) and one of the best bang for the bucks! I was getting pain and numbness in the heel of my hands and these little foam sleeves go a long way toward relieving that.
Next up my Kappa Moto K26 top case. At 26 liters this is perfect for my needs (commuting) easily holds my lunch , gloves, etc, and will hold my size large Bell Revolver helmet. It doesn't look too huge on the back of my bike and the fit and finish are excellent. I also followed another member of this forums idea of putting reflective tape behind the red lenses of the case to make them true reflectors, works really well (see pictures)

Next up is the Murphskit.com centerstand. Price is the best of any out there quality is good, fits as it should, took 1 hour from start to finish to install it. I used the (shoestring trick) as seen on U-Tube to install the springs. worked amazingly good. Springs went on so easily I thought I did something wrong! ( little tip if you are thinkining of doing this- I used 1/8" braided nylon cord bought from Lowes, wrapped the end I was pulling on around a screwdriver handle so I could have an easy grip. then I put a little grease on the cord where it slides along the spring hooks. slipped on super easy!)

Well I've pretty much addressed riding position and comfort and I am very satisfied with the results. I didnt take a picture of it , but I also have an Alaskan Sheepskin buttpad, that I use and really like. My onboard storage is taken care of with my Kappa Moto top case, and I still have a complete set of factory hard bags that came with my bike should I feel the need for long distance travel. The cheapo bar risers will probably be replaced in the future and I will be replacing the upper brake line in the not so distant future with one that is 2" longer( the stock one is stretched pretty tight) The Murphskit centerstand is money well spent. All in all I am very happy with the improvements. Think I will crack open a Red Stripe beer and bask in a job well done.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Awesome! Wouldn't you know I found really nice affordable handlebar risers right here on this very page. Tusk handlebar risers at Rocky Mountain ATV, whom I've already done business with and they are even less expensive than my E-BAY cheapos, win win.:thumbup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm looking for the "grip puppies" and find "Grab On Grips GRAB-ON GRIP COVERS" at Amazon.

Is this them?

or, where can I get the real deal?

Thanks...

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I'm looking for the "grip puppies" and find "Grab On Grips GRAB-ON GRIP COVERS" at Amazon.

Is this them?

or, where can I get the real deal?

Thanks...
Grab on covers slip on easier and get glued to the grips with hair spray. Pups need to be lubricated to get on and don't need anything to stay on. Put too much dish soap in the water and they will get re-lubricated the next time it rains though. I couldn't find large Grip Puppies any more an had to go with Grab-Ons for my Hot Grips. My gloves have little plastic nubs to protect the hands on a slide and a nub tore up the end of two left side Grip Puppies. The Grab-On seems unaffected so far but time in use is limited.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I choose the Grab On's, I think I want this size:

Grab On Grips Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in. OD - 5in.L MC402

... for standard 2012 DL650 grips, no heaters.

...and then, I think I cut them to the desired (installed) length.

Yes?

Thank you!...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alrighty then, just received my new Tusk handlebar risers from Rocky mountain ATV. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite suppliers, always fast and accurate. The new risers look much better than the EBay cheapos that I first ordered. I also ordered a new front upper brake line that is 2" inches longer than stock from SV racing , I also ordered the recommended banjo bleeder for the master cylinder. That will hopefully be here before the weekend , so I have a project coming up. I plan on taking pictures, so stay tuned. Cheers! Bob:seeya:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, a little follow up on the Muphs center stand. The kit includes a rubber bumper that pushes into a bracket on the underside of your muffler. This makes it so that when your center stand retracts it just kinda makes a dull thud instead of a loud metal clang. Well I was washing my bike today and had it on the center stand and when I retracted the stand...bang! What the hell? Looked under the bike and found what was left of the bumper, it had melted into a useless blob. Thi is after only a few hundred miles .They need a sturdier material. I am going to have to get creative and think something to replace it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not yet, my plan is to cruise around Lowes or Home Depot and look for something made of hard rubber that can be cut to size and either riveted on or glued on with some construction adhesive. When I figure it out I'll post some pictures. :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello again! finally got around to taking some more pictures. Here are my new Tusk 30mm risers installed. They arrived as shiny bare aluminum, so I rooted around in my garage cabinet and found a can of stainless steel colored spray paint, close enough! The risers also necessitated a longer front brake line since the stock one was streched too tight. The brake line is a Galfer from SV Racing, and is 2" longer than stock. also purchased the optional master cylinder brake line bleeder from SV. Note: the Galfer website has very clear and informitave videos on installation and bleeding techniques.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My seat fits as good as the factory seat. I don't have those gaps that you have. I do know that when the seat was new you have to make sure that you press down in the front of the seat while installing it to make sure that the front clip goes under the bar that holds it in place. I have read other peoples complaints that the seat doesn't fit and has gaps like yours does. I don't remember what the resolution was.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great reviews. I like the look of the Sargent seat.
Might be tricky to find in Canada though.
I order from Rocky Mountain ATV all the time. Fast service. No issues shipping to Ontario. The dollar is kinda hard on us now.

Randy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Johnny Bravo

How does that stitched seam going across the seat panel fell on the butt ?
Doesn't look like a good idea ?

Im looking to retro fit my old 800 Tigers Sadleman seat to a used V-Strom seat base .

I kept it from the Tiger800 I traded ,cost heaps from the US to Australia ,but it was the best seat I've had on a bike .

Hope I can do it without stuffing it up .

I removed OEM seat on new V-Strom and raised that 30mm or so ..its good ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts