StromTrooper banner

new england roads ugh

1439 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  richw
i did a ride last week in new england my former stompin ground. i couldn't believe how bd the roads were in vermont. rte 17 which was just repaved i think 5 yrs ago was pretty beat up. @ times i almost felt like i was dirt ridin lookin out 4 ruts. now i realize how lucky i am livin in nc. everyone was sayin the winter was real bad. i never saw a good winter in n.e
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
689 Posts
Richw You are absolutly correct. The jet stream will continue to slip southerly and the predictions are that the winters up there will continue to get worse for a number of years as the earth warms up, for whatever reason.

· Registered
592 Posts
They aren't all that bad, NS is actually a great place to ride. Truthfully, I've always had good luch through New England as well but I haven't been off Rt 2 and as south as North Conway in quite a few years. Next summer I'm planning a ride back that direction, perhaps a set of Kenda Big Blocks will have to be installed first! ;)

· Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Boston got 81" of snow last season.
Hartford CT 86".
Burlington, VT 128".

My snow thrower runs two hours on a gallon of gas. In a season I usually use 3-4 gallons. This year I used 8.

Yup, real winter.

· What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
May I remind you that, rough New England roads are what the V-Strom was built for! The riding here in NE is ABSOLUTELY perfect!!!

· Premium Member
530 Posts
I'll give you my impression of New England roads in a few days. I'm just in upstate New York this morning, heading for New Hampshire and will spend the week touring around NH, Vermont and the Adirondacks before heading home. :hurray:

· What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,697 Posts
I'll give you my impression of New England roads in a few days. I'm just in upstate New York this morning, heading for New Hampshire and will spend the week touring around NH, Vermont and the Adirondacks before heading home. :hurray:
You go girl!!!

I am sitting on a beach in the Turks and Caicos Islands right now.

That was the biggest water crossing I have done on my bike yet!!! But, it handled it just fine. I will be posting photos at some point in the near future.

· Premium Member
8,054 Posts
Wish I could ride up and meet you, but I've got an extra dog to care for this week. Most of the family bailed for the Jersey Shore. (not my idea of a good time)

Enjoy Vermont. There are no bad roads in the entire state. The only thing wrong with Vermont is it doesn't have an ocean, but Lake Champlain comes close enough, especially if you ride the shoreline of Grand Isle. :mrgreen:

· Registered
3,863 Posts
May I remind you that, rough New England roads are what the V-Strom was built for! The riding here in NE is ABSOLUTELY perfect!!!
Agreed. Crappy roads are the V-Strom's natural environment.

As the mountain roads in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy prove, it's very much possible to build roads that withstand brutal weather for many years. Road builders in Europe are required to warranty their work for up to 20 years. Construction costs a bit more up-front, but then you don't have to rebuild the roads every three or four years.

However, in the US of A, roads are always built by the lowest bidder and are not required to meet any standards for longevity. They are designed to fall apart in a few years, thus ensuring a continual flow of multi-million dollar contracts for road construction firms, and steady employment for alignment shops, tire shops, tow truck drivers, etc.

· Premium Member
530 Posts
Wish I could ride up and meet you, but I've got an extra dog to care for this week. Most of the family bailed for the Jersey Shore. (not my idea of a good time)

Enjoy Vermont. There are no bad roads in the entire state. The only thing wrong with Vermont is it doesn't have an ocean, but Lake Champlain comes close enough, especially if you ride the shoreline of Grand Isle. :mrgreen:
Too bad Tom. Would have loved to meet you. Another time...:yesnod:

I've ridden these New England States many times and enjoy it every time. Drizzly rain in Tupper Lake right now but still enjoying the ride. Will be taking the ferry at Chimney Point later today.
I've kayaked here a couple of times too and camped from the kayak on Lake Champlain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.