StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think that the big "S" should start concentrating more on fixing their support mechanism and retain dealers than anything else at this juncture...
In a 200 mile radius of me we have lost all but 1 (out of 5) dealers within the last 2 years. (all I spoke with said serious lack of support of any kind...).
Kinda hard to sell bikes with dealers dropping the brand like a fresh turd.
:confused:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think that the big "S" should start concentrating more on fixing their support mechanism and retain dealers than anything else at this juncture...
In a 200 mile radius of me we have lost all but 1 (out of 5) dealers within the last 2 years. (all I spoke with said serious lack of support of any kind...).
Kinda hard to sell bikes with dealers dropping the brand like a fresh turd.
:confused:
I agree. We lost 2 within the city but did gain one back a short distance from. The problem is with the short riding season here the technicians have/get little Suzuki specific experience in the multi-brand dealers that are in this province. When I spoke to a tech at both dealerships about valve clearance check and adjusting they both looked dumbfounded and actually a bit scared of the prospect. Parts do seem to be in good supply though.
Another new model is always interesting. Sure looks like something is in the works.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It is unlikely to be another big single because with that engine configuration it is becoming far too difficult to achieve modern Emissions standards. I read some time ago that all future mid capacity traillies will be twins for this reason. In the same vein the novelty of monstrous traillies with ridiculous horsepower is starting to wear off. BM have an 800, so do KTM and both of them are the market leaders in the Adventure bike sector. Yamaha have their 700 twin also.
As such I am thinking that Suzuki might indeed be upgrading the 650 to an 800 and also lightening the chassis to get into a growing market.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cast wheels on a DR I think not. Also agree that big singles are a dieing breed. Do like the look though and it would make sense for a DL1000 overhaul seeing as the 650 just got a facelift/overhaul.

·
Vendor
4,667 Posts
... and a pretty good face lift at that. The 2017+ DL650 looks great IMO.

The angle of the cylinder in the spy shots looks more like the front cylinder of the existing V-Strom than any large bore single in the last 40+ years. You have to go back to amerachi to find a 350 of that configuration or Ducati's omission of the top cylinder to make a single. It doesn't make sense to make a new dirt bike engine, or DR worthy engine with a vulnerable cylinder.

The engine has a structure attached to the left side of the visible cylinder. Might be a smog box. The visible cylinder looks a lot like a smaller version of the DL650 front cylinder. It is a different engine. The oil filter is not visible. Seems more like Suzuki is making a new small V-Strom. Something to compete against the new X400 Versys and new more dirt worthy CB500X.

On the other hand, it has a hydraulic clutch and radial brakes. Something Suzuki has traditionally used for larger more expensive bikes.

The luggage rack and passenger peg mounts look like they are from the existing DL model line up.

The swingarm is different than any V-Strom past or present.

Might be the long awaited DL800.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
We lost our Yamaha shop, our Suzuki shop, and our Aprilia\Moto Guzzi shop all during the 07-08 financial mess. Only Yamaha came back, housed in an existing Boat dealership. We do still have a Suzuki shop 30 miles away though.
Oh boy, if they came out with a DL800, I just might have to drive over there and look at it, I loved the motor on my 1K, and really enjoy my 650, but the 800 might be just right.

·
Vendor
4,667 Posts
Another reference that sort of makes all this make sense.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/is-the-suzuki-dr-big-making-a-comeback-ar184971.html

"...rumor has it that Suzuki is going to revive its DR Big line with an all-new ride that is meant to supplement the street-wise V-Strom range with an off-road bias. Sure, Suzuki has a new DR650S to fill out the midrange, but this new ride is supposed to carry the same 1,037 cc powerplant as the V-Strom 1000 to make the jump into the top end, rally-style market."

So teh DR Big is a DL1000 based factory rally bike?

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
The window is there for that before KLR jumps in. I still think a thumper up to 450 is fine....that Honda 450 single is wicked.
https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

But a lot of $$$
After riding one for a bit this weekend I'll say it's well worth the $$$. The low end torque is amazing. The suspension is pretty good actually better than good. It's now top of my list of second bikes until I get a beta under my butt...

·
Vendor
4,667 Posts
Yes, a DL1000 given a more dirt oriented revision. I suspect the spy shots linked in post #1 are of test bikes that use the DL1000 wheels. If the below is true we should expect spoked wheels with a larger diameter front, and more travel and clearance. This year as a late 2019 somewhere. Probably Europe.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
More of what we know for sure. It is water cooled, chain drive, street oriented with cast wheels and same signals and mirrors as current V-Stroms. All new swing arm, not used on DR, DRZ, or DL.
front fender looks the same too, i'm thinking a new V-Strom 1000? the picture is very blurry, dark and the angle is off but that looks like the 1000cc engine to me.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Another reference that sort of makes all this make sense.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/is-the-suzuki-dr-big-making-a-comeback-ar184971.html

"...rumor has it that Suzuki is going to revive its DR Big line with an all-new ride that is meant to supplement the street-wise V-Strom range with an off-road bias. Sure, Suzuki has a new DR650S to fill out the midrange, but this new ride is supposed to carry the same 1,037 cc powerplant as the V-Strom 1000 to make the jump into the top end, rally-style market."

So teh DR Big is a DL1000 based factory rally bike?
makes sense, it's like the Katana and GSXS1000.

I bet it's basically a Vstrom 1000 with minor differences.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Vendor
4,667 Posts
That art work showing a DL1000 in DR Big bodywork was just not very convincing. It looked like a total fantasy photoshop exercise. Seeing the DL1000 engine, new body work, new swingarm, and suddenly the stories seem to have some validity.

I expect they can easily give it another 1" of ground clearance with longer travel suspension. Still, it's going to take a heck of a skid pan and crash bar set to make it truly dirt worthy.

The truth I'm too old to be able to use it, but I'm glad to see the effort. Anyone remember the guy in the 1990s who used to pick up and military press his XR600? I'm not that guy. But would love t see someone race a V-Strom and win no matter what they called it.

·
Vendor
4,667 Posts
Two days ago - https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumors/suzuki-dr-big-spotted/

"We expect the Suzuki “DR Big” to debut later this year, likely at the EICMA show in Milan, which is in November."

Seems to be a news story based on the news story in the first post.

And another similar story. https://riders.drivemag.com/news/suzuki-s-new-dr-big-is-real-but-is-it-the-real-deal-first-spy-photos

I'm a bit puzzled by the swing arm. It's left side looks like the right side of the existing DL1000 swing arm. I checked to see f the photo was reversed left to right and it doesn't appear to be. There is a license plate on the car in the photo. So maybe that is a new longer swingarm.

But the bike doesn't appear to have an exceptionally high seat, or the rider on the right has exceptionally long legs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts