StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just upgraded to a DL650 ABS from a GS500F.

I've been pretty lazy. I've had it since Wednesday night and only installed the Top Box Rack, Heated Grips (on a relay), GPS Mount and Hand Guards and done 640 kms.

Gotta love this bike. What a step up from the GS500F. Better in every way.

Like some others I won't be using the f ... word, but I have some more accessorising in mind.

With that in mind, I hate Suzuki speedos inaccuracy ... so can I pick your collective brains .... I'm thinking Speedo Healer?

Nice to 'meet' you all :)

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The speedo is 10% fast the odometer is correct like all Suzuki speedos.
Use it as an opportunity to keep your mind active doing basic maths while riding. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
With that in mind, I hate Suzuki speedos inaccuracy ... so can I pick your collective brains .... I'm thinking Speedo Healer?
healtech-electronics.com have a Speedo Healer. I have not got one, but wish I'd done this when mine was new. I have 41k on my odo now, but in reality due to the 10% error the bike has probably only done about 36k.

They also have an alternative to Suzuki's SDS Tool for about $200ish, which I will be getting next time I need to do a TBS. The dealer I got the bike from will never see another cent from me for this service after the last one. (price increase from $110 to $285:mad: F&#k them! (just a TBS))

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just upgraded to a DL650 ABS from a GS500F.

I've been pretty lazy. I've had it since Wednesday night and only installed the Top Box Rack, Heated Grips (on a relay), GPS Mount and Hand Guards and done 640 kms.

Gotta love this bike. What a step up from the GS500F. Better in every way.

Like some others I won't be using the f ... word, but I have some more accessorising in mind.

Nice to 'meet' you all :)
G'day evanc welcome to a great site and CONGRATULATIONS on getting your new bike ,Ride Safe, Paul.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
[ I have 41k on my odo now, but in reality due to the 10% error the bike has probably only done about 36k.
The odometers are correct it's only the speedo that's out and it's out for safety reasons like most manufacturers do so that you can't sue them for getting ticketed while riding at the posted speed.
If you odometer says 41k your bike has travelled 41k not 36k.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
For those interested:

5. SPECIFICATIONS
5.1. The display of the speedometer must be located within the direct field of view of the driver and must be clearly legible both day and night. The range of speeds displayed must be sufficiently wide to include the maximum speed of this type of vehicle as stated by the manufacturer.
5.1.1. In the case of speedometers intended for vehicles of categories M, N, and L3, L4 (EDIT: A Motorcycle is a L3 vehicle a motorcycle with a side car is a L4 vehicle) and L5, the graduation shall be 1, 2, 5 or 10 km/h. The numerical values of the speed shall be indicated on the display as follows: when the highest value on the display does not exceed 200 km/h, speed values shall be indicated at intervals not exceeding20 km/h. When the maximum value on the display exceeds 200 km/h, then the speed values shall be indicated at intervals not exceeding 30 km/h. The indicated numerical speed value intervals need not be uniform.
5.1.2. In the case of vehicles manufactured for sale in any country where imperial units are used, the speedometer shall also be marked in miles per hour (mph); the graduations shall be of 1, 2, 5 or 10 mph. The values of the speed shall be indicated on the dial at intervals not exceeding 20 mph and commencing at 10 or 20 mph. The indicated speed value intervals need not be uniform.
5.1.3. In the case of speedometers intended for vehicles of categories L1 (mopeds) and L2, the display readings must not exceed 80 km/h. The graduation shall be 1, 2, 5 or 10 km/h and the marked numerical values of the speed indicated shall not exceed 10 km/h. The indicated numerical speed value intervals need not be uniform.
5.1.4. In the case of vehicles of categories M, N, and L3, L4 and L5 manufactured for sale in any country where imperial units are used, the speedometer shall also be marked in mph (miles per hour); the graduation shall be of 1, 2, 5 or 10 mph. The numerical values of the speed shall be indicated on the display at intervals not exceeding 20 mph and commencing at 10 or 20 mph. The indicated numerical speed value intervals need not be uniform.
5.2. The accuracy of the speedometer equipment shall be tested in accordance with the following procedure:
5.2.1. The tyres shall be one of the types normally fitted to the vehicle as defined in paragraph 2.3. of this Regulation. A test shall be carried out for each type of speedometer intended to be fitted by the manufacturer.
5.2.2. The test shall be carried out with the vehicle at its unladen weight. An additional weight can be carried for purposes of measurement. The weight of the vehicle and its distribution between the axles shall be indicated in the approval communication (see annex 1, paragraph 6.);
5.2.3. The reference temperature at the speedometer shall be 23 ± 5 °C;
5.2.4. During each test the pressure of the tyres shall be the normal running pressure as defined in paragraph 2.4.;
5.2.5. The vehicle is tested at the following speeds:
Maximum design speed (Vmax) of the vehicle specified by the vehicle manufacturer (km/h)
Test speed (V1) (km/h)
Vmax ≤ 45
80 % of Vmax
45 < Vmax ≤ 100
40 km/h and 80 % Vmax
(if the resulting speed is ≥ 55 km/h)
100 < Vmax ≤ 150
40 km/h, 80 km/h and 80 % Vmax
(if the resulting speed is ≥ 100 km/h)
150 < Vmax
40 km/h, 80 km/h and 120 km/h
5.2.6. the test instrumentation used for measuring the true vehicle speed shall be accurate to ± 0.5 per cent;
5.2.6.1. the surface of a test track when used shall be flat and dry, and provide sufficient adhesion;
5.2.6.2. if a roller dynamometer is used for the test, the diameter of the roller should be at least 0.4 m;
5.3. The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle. At the test speeds specified in paragraph 5.2.5. above, there shall be the following relationship between the speed displayed (V1 ) and the true speed (V2).
0 ≤ (V1 - V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h

What all this means is that since the beginning of 2007 it's illegal for a manufacturer to sell a vehicle in the affected categories with a speedo that reads slower than the vehicle is actually travelling. This is different from the 2006 and older rules where the allownace was simply +/- 10% so a speedo could read slow. It is perfectly legal to sell one that reads faster than the vehicle is travelling. In fact if you do the maths it's legal for a speedo to be reading 100kph when the vehicle is going any speed between 84 kph and 100kph.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone.

Kiwi I understand what you are saying ... except in my case the odometer also reads more than the GPS indicates, by approximately the same 7%.

I've ordered a Speedo Healer and I'll let everyone know what I find after having it fitted for a while.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Kiwi I understand what you are saying ... except in my case the odometer also reads more than the GPS indicates, by approximately the same 7%.
MORE?? That must be the only bike on this forum. It's a shame there aren't more speed check points around. It seems they are always placed at roadworks when the traffic is almost bumper to bumper, or they do the white line check which only checks your odometer which is correct.

So anyway KIWI, is the odomoter reading true or out by 10%. I know you have said it many times before, I just want to hear it again.:green_lol:

Welcome to the club!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks everyone.

I've ordered a Speedo Healer and I'll let everyone know what I find after having it fitted for a while.
Are you sure ?

The last 4 bikes I have had have had a speedo error of 5-10% too high but the odo has been plus or minus 3%. ie the errors are always different

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Gee that is handy information to give to your legal counsel when you are spending 5 large to fight a $127 speeding fine,my strom at 110 on the speedo is in fact doing about 103 on the Tom,If you are being rounded up by red 'P' platers in VL's chances are you are not going too slow,when the lovely Orificer says you were going too fast chances are you were.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi and welcome, a nice upgrade...

Speedo variance sucks all my suzukis have been 8-9% out, a big pain in the but.
If they can be consistently out why can't they be accurate?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
New, correct speedometer face, US$40 plus postage
Raceratb.com

·
Registered
222 Posts
New, correct speedometer face, US$40 plus postage
Raceratb.com
Yes it used to sh1t me looking from my gps to the K7 V-strom speedo. I bought one of the speedo faces in 2008. It can still vary just a little. I discovered that in NT while doing 130k's, but generally I've found it to be worth it.
Come on Traveling Strom, speak up for it mate! You assisted with the metric conversion to help Austin Burge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hate maths

OK I have done the maths (compared against GPS).

Can't do math while riding KIWI. it challenges my limited mental abilities too much :confused:

Speedometer reads 7% faster than actual (GPS)

Odometer reads 4.8% more km than actually travelled (against GPS odometer)

Hanging out for the Speedo Healer

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
For the price of a speedo mod these days you can nearly buy a cheap GPS.

Or live with the 7% speedo error all the manufacturers seem to have agreed on.

·
Registered
612 Posts
MORE?? That must be the only bike on this forum. It's a shame there aren't more speed check points around. It seems they are always placed at roadworks when the traffic is almost bumper to bumper, or they do the white line check which only checks your odometer which is correct.

So anyway KIWI, is the odomoter reading true or out by 10%. I know you have said it many times before, I just want to hear it again.:green_lol:

Welcome to the club!!!
Hubby and I went for a ride down to Melton today and just near Ballan is a speed check, would have been good if the prat in a Vectra hadn't got in my way :furious:
On our way back to Maryborough, we were on our own, so hubby on his Versys was in one lane, I on my Wee in the other..... bloody speed check didn't register either bike :thumbdown:
My speedo said I was doing my 110 but we even got passed by an Exel. This was my first longish ride and the stock seat needs to go I think

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hubby and I went for a ride down to Melton today and just near Ballan is a speed check, would have been good if the prat in a Vectra hadn't got in my way :furious:
On our way back to Maryborough, we were on our own, so hubby on his Versys was in one lane, I on my Wee in the other..... bloody speed check didn't register either bike :thumbdown:
My speedo said I was doing my 110 but we even got passed by an Exel. This was my first longish ride and the stock seat needs to go I think
suzukigirlybabe can you define longish ride ie k's ,passed by a Exel mate I have been rounded up by protons like I've been nailed to the fence,the stock seat is fine with some refinements.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
suzukigirlybabe can you define longish ride ie k's ,passed by a Exel mate I have been rounded up by protons like I've been nailed to the fence,the stock seat is fine with some refinements.
The best refinement for the stock seat is IMHO a replacement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts