StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2018 model yesterday. Have been away from road riding for 15 years. Seriously, out of the loop on gear, accessories, etc. Just saw a Scorpion modular helmet for the first time and was BLOWN AWAY, so you know where I'm coming from. ;-)

Plan to ride paved country and mountain roads (90%) and gravel/fire roads (10%). Have about 6 weeks of winter left here in central Virginia. Will get the bike ready during that time. Would appreciate recommendations on accessories, including the following that I now plan to get for the bike...

Pannier Bags (locking)
Engine Guards
Skid Plate
Metal Hand Guards
Mount for iPhone (navigation aid)

All advice welcome. Also interested in which upgrades are easy DIY versus PIA (dealer install better).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I went with SW-Motech for side cases, top case, engine/crash guard, and skid plate. I have had them for about 8 years and around 60,000 miles. All have held up well and the crash guards and side cases have taken some abuse with no complaints. All were easy to install. No hand guards and I use a GPS for navigation.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Do I like the convenience of a Modular?....you bet. Until I busted one (locking mechanism) by dropping it on the chin bar. I will only wear a full face helmet now. They are stronger, lighter, and just as cool when riding. My current Shoei is a veteran of 2 crashes so far.

I am sure many will disagree. That's cool. It's your head.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Turbocharger
Intercooler
Extra-loud blowoff/pop-off valve (you know, to scare deer away better)
Extra blinker fluid canister
Halogen fluid level indicator
BMW emblems to confuse everybody
;):)

Welcome to the forum, and happy riding!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do I like the convenience of a Modular?....you bet. Until I busted one (locking mechanism) by dropping it on the chin bar. I will only wear a full face helmet now. They are stronger, lighter, and just as cool when riding. My current Shoei is a veteran of 2 crashes so far.

I am sure many will disagree. That's cool. It's your head.
full face all the way. its amazing how little it takes to shave your nose right off your face.

though I'm not too sure about the number of accidents ( or even moderate drops) you feel are acceptable for a helmet. unless there was no impact at all.... then I fail to see the relevance of your two accident and going strong claim.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been wearing modulars for over 15 years. I have crashed twice (landing on my face). Once on the interstate (fell asleep) and once during a track day. No damage to my face either time. As far as accessories, I also have a 2018 DL1000. I went with the SW Motech crash bars and a Ravetech windshield bracket for additional GPS/Camera space. Both were DIY and I have been very happy with both, though I have NOT tested the crash bars. 10,000 miles on both items, no problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I didn't think that information was relevant to the discussion, which was about how well ones face and jaw would survive an accident in a modular helmet. I did buy a new helmet after the interstate crash. The track day incident only resulted in a scratched face shield, which of course I replaced.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I replace my helmets when the internal EPS foam gets compressed. Or when they start to smell like old athletic shoes, whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I like heated gear. I like extra power outlets for phones GPS etc.... I like a tank bag for the simple stuff. I use a dry bag on back seat for the longer rides. I love my Sena for safety with other riders and music on my phone. I also would say if you are going to long hauls do not go out a purchase the cheapest coat and pants. I would purchase quality when the weather gets bad or the days get long you do not want to find out that your coat or pants leak or are cold or can't..... A good pair of riding boots are a plus. I agree with nice motorcycle panniers they can be used on long hauls, I even can two bags of groceries and two gallons of milk in them. You are the beginning of a fun learning curve on what gear you like and the list is easy for fathers day and birthdays.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I personally prefer soft bags to the huge, hard panniers. The bike takes up less space in the garage, it's easier to split lanes when needed, and if you screw up and drop the bike, loaded soft bags can act like air bags for the bike. Only down side is you can't lock them very well, though I have used tiny little padlocks on the zippers, and I thread a thin steel cable through all the bags when they're on the bike. If somebody really wants to steal my dirty clothes they'll get them, but I keep all the valuable stuff in a tank bag which I always take with me. I;m knocking wood, but I haven't had a problem so far...probably because my bike looks like it belongs to a homeless person (on purpose!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts