StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode the 'Strom for the first time yesturday since the clutch basket was replaced. I can't believe the difference it made. Truly night and day. The service writer mentioned to me how bad the clutch basket looked and that it would have failed sometime soon. It only had a little over 5k miles and didn't vibrate all that bad untill that last few weeks. I highly recommend that anyone with the "chudder" to get their bikes fixed as soon as they can.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Motornoggin, good to see you in another forum. Any regrets on making the switch from Drifter to V-Strom? I have absolutely none!

Pete

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to see you here. There are times when I do miss the Drifter, but I really don't regret it. The 'Strom is better in every way for the type of riding I like to do. The only thing the Drifter did exceptionally well was to look good.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zen

I spent some time last weekend putting the new basket on (adding a power commander, TRE, cart synch and K&N air filter). My baby is humming again...it was hard to believe that the new basket would actually make a difference - so I chugged it up a hill at the dreaded 2500 to 3500 rpm range. It purred like a kitten...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Motornoggin,
Good to hear the machine is running fine. Did you have the vibrations and/or the idle knocking sound before the swap? I am close to 5k miles and now have the knocking sound at idle. I've read up on clutches, but can't find the term "basket" anywhere? Care to elaborate to an engine novice? Mine is an 03 by the way...

Thanks,
Gisle :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the manual it's called a "gear assembly" and the new assembly number is 21200-06811. The new basket made the idle knocking less apparent but the true test of whether you have a bad basket is the sound your engine makes when pulling between 2500 and 3500 rpms...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gisle said:
Hi Motornoggin,
Good to hear the machine is running fine. Did you have the vibrations and/or the idle knocking sound before the swap? I am close to 5k miles and now have the knocking sound at idle. I've read up on clutches, but can't find the term "basket" anywhere? Care to elaborate to an engine novice? Mine is an 03 by the way...

Thanks,
Yeah, I had the idle "hammer" , as well as the "chudder" at 3000-3500 rpm before the swap. The 'Strom has a multiple disc wet clutch. The discs/plates are housed inside a basket. The discs have teeth that interlock with the basket and between these discs are plates that have splines that interlock with the shaft in the center of the basket. The problem with the 'Strom clutch is that because of an engineering/assembly flaw, the teeth wear into the sides of the basket too much. The excess wear increases the vibration which in turn, increases the wear, a vicious circle. The new basket compensates for the vibration and keeps the teeth from wearing into the basket.
If your's is hammering/vibrating, I highly recommend you have it checked and repaired.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, I believe I have the chudder as well. I have had the vibrations from the get go, but contributed it to the nature of a twin, since I've ridden mostly inline 4's in the past. So it's smooth all the way after replacement hmm? I'll have to get it done asap then. Thanks again.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
please tell me alittle more about the discription of this chudder and the 2500-3500rpm problems?

I'm getting my new bike in two weeks and want to know what I need to listen and feel for when I starting riding my new bike!

Laxson OUT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts