StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Put a new chain on last week.

PROS: Sooo Smooth !

CONS: couldn't get the 1.25" front sprocket nut off. I have to get hold of an IMPACT gun to do that so,

I put the NEW CHAIN
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_150991342182318&key=a216f1e3364a97ea0f9874b3e527e339&libId=j9n7fxtn01000bpj000DLacuf3unz&loc=http://www.stromtrooper.com/3998202-post6.html&v=1&out=http://www.ebay.com/itm/322043802641?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&ref=http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/339329-broke-my-chain-7k-miles-looking-ordering-kit-sprockets-chain-5.html&title=Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Chain question&txt=JT Drive Chains 525x120 Links Z3 Super Heavy Duty SEALED x Ring Natural Chain | eBay

onto the existing sprockets. At 18000 miles, they were still in pretty good shape. I'll get the new sprockets (which I have "in stock") on in a couple of months.

The "old" chain had some issues with stiff links and "something" going click click click on each rotation. NOT missing it now it's gone.

I can't believe how smooth and quiet the new chain is. Its not a major name brand (JT SProckets) but for the price (about $70 on Ebay and some good reviews from other users), I'm quite happy with it.

Now for a Season of great Desert riding in Arizona where its 82 oF today :laugh2::smile2::grin2:

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Sounds like a Snow Bird having fun. A Harbor Freight battery or electric impact can do the job of breaking the nut loose. use a 2X4 on the swing arm or foot on the brake or both to assist the effort!

·
Registered
378 Posts
<<new chain... Sooo Smooth ! >>

Yeppers. I got the same reaction when I did my new chain. :grin2:

As for the nut, definitely try the 2x4 through the rear wheel spokes. Make sure nothing will get crushed (brake lines etc) under the 2x4. I put the 2x4 in, stood on the pegs, stood on the rear brake with right foot and stepped on a long breaker bar already in place (socket on the nut) with the left foot. It slowly gave way and I could spin it off. Another option would be to add heat to the nut as this will break loose the thread lock that is on the nut. I did not need to do this, but add heat prior to standing on the breaker bar and it should make a difference. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
my click-click-click experience was a failed sprocket carrier bearing. It's a good idea to check this when replacing the chain.

Also, if the carrier falls right out of the hub without effort, you'll need to either shim or replace the cush drive rubbers. Otherwise, it'll cause undue wear to your new chain and the rest of the driveline.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a Snow Bird having fun. A Harbor Freight battery or electric impact can do the job of breaking the nut loose. use a 2X4 on the swing arm or foot on the brake or both to assist the effort!
Just "harvested" a pile of HFT Coupons out of the weekend paper.. I'LL see what they have for impact guns tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Big B, one goof while doing that and the nut that goes flying loose could be the wrench turner!
I envision the guy cutting the branch from the wrong side of the cut.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Big B, one goof while doing that and the nut that goes flying loose could be the wrench turner!
I envision the guy cutting the branch from the wrong side of the cut.
Meh I am used to standing up on my pegs......almost second nature. :wink2:

Oh.....and I am typically buzzing well from whiskey or beer while I am doing such a thing.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Is it standard or reverse thread?
Standard righty tighty lefty loosy. While I have some HF tools that work exceptionally well before you waste time/money on getting an impact gun a section of pipe, tubing or metal conduit about 3 feet long large enough diameter (1-1/2" typically works) to fit over you ratchet handle will work a treat. A section of 2x4 across the swingarm through the rear wheel to keep the wheel from spinning. Leverage is all you need...... well that and maybe someone else to steady the bike while breaking the nut loose.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Put a new chain on last week.

PROS: Sooo Smooth !

CONS: couldn't get the 1.25" front sprocket nut off. I have to get hold of an IMPACT gun to do that so,

I put the NEW CHAIN
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_150991342182318&key=a216f1e3364a97ea0f9874b3e527e339&libId=j9n7fxtn01000bpj000DLacuf3unz&loc=http://www.stromtrooper.com/3998202-post6.html&v=1&out=http://www.ebay.com/itm/322043802641?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&ref=http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012-2016/339329-broke-my-chain-7k-miles-looking-ordering-kit-sprockets-chain-5.html&title=Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - View Single Post - Chain question&txt=JT Drive Chains 525x120 Links Z3 Super Heavy Duty SEALED x Ring Natural Chain | eBay

onto the existing sprockets. At 18000 miles, they were still in pretty good shape. I'll get the new sprockets (which I have "in stock") on in a couple of months.

The "old" chain had some issues with stiff links and "something" going click click click on each rotation. NOT missing it now it's gone.

I can't believe how smooth and quiet the new chain is. Its not a major name brand (JT SProckets) but for the price (about $70 on Ebay and some good reviews from other users), I'm quite happy with it.

Now for a Season of great Desert riding in Arizona where its 82 oF today :laugh2::smile2::grin2:
That's awful cheap $ for a chain. I went "cheap chain" once and will never do it again. JT sprockets have a great rep, so you might get lucky, but a quality chain like RK, EK, or D.I.D all cost quite a bit more than $75.

Here is a link to the chain and sprockets I bought 3 years ago and the chain was utter junk and I suspect it was a JT chain:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-DL650-V-STROM-04-13-JT-X-RING-CHAIN-AND-SPROCKET-KIT-OEM-Premium-/151311688156?rmvSB=true

In less than 6K miles and in the first week of a month long trip the chain was toast(and yes I lube at almost every fill up). I ended up calling ahead and ordering a Suzuki oem chain/sprockets, then limping into Missoula Montana where I waited a day for the dealer to open, then over half a day to get it replaced.

Do a close inspection of that chain and sprockets every thousand miles. If you see any hooking going on at all to the sprockets, change it all out. We had to stop 300 miles from Missoula at a small shop to have a link taken out because the chain was sagging so bad. The tech over pressed the master(idiot), but look at the rear sprocket. By the time I put another 300 on it the front and rear sprockets were sharp as a razor:

I now carry clip on Masters and a hacksaw blade........

I'm somewhat of a cheap bastard, but that experience taught me a lesson & since then it has been only top shelf chains & I like the SprocketCenter.com since I can change sprocket sizes and other options with a click of the mouse:
525 Chain Kit - JT Sprockets Steel Sprocket Set with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - SUZUKI DL 650 V-strom '07-16 - DL 650 V-Strom 2007-2016 (all models) - Suzuki - STREET

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Looks like the riveted master is what's kinking or was there more?
No, that was the "replacement" master 300 miles before replacing the chain. The chain deteriorated so fast I had to buy a master at one shop, then have another shop cut and remove a link. The tech at the second shop over-pressed the rivit's which made it kink. Although annoying, it did make it another 300 miles where I had a Suzy dealer replace everything.

The chain was completely shot in that photo but no one stocked the chain in Wyoming, so I had to band-aid it to Montana.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I too put on a JT chain about 2 years ago. Like you I loved it for the first 5K. Smoothest, quietest ever. Then the frequent adjustments started and by 7K things were getting really bad. 500+ miles from home and wasn't sure it would make it. Nursed it there and was out of adjustment on the axle(And sagging badly). A internet search showed this was happening to many. Hope they've improved it since. Not good for the JT rep.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
That wheel pictured looks like its been thru "the Wars" or, is that just surface "dust" :laugh2:
Both...lol!

The background through the spoke is Buffalo Bill State Park. Right after snapping that pic, the Park Ranger drove up & we thought we were busted for drinking beer. Nope, he says, "A momma grizzly and her two cubs just crossed the highway into the campground, so keep an eye out". We looked at each other, then at the Hammocks and my buddy said, "So who's eye do we leave out for the bear and I still don't think that will satisfy her"

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My factory chain went 38,000 but sprockets still looked good! Got a cheap chain as thought they would need replacement soon.10,000 later put all on.I over oil I guess next to my friends and just use motor oil.More slack is way better IMO than too tight.

·
Registered
118 Posts
a section of pipe, tubing or metal conduit about 3 feet long large enough diameter (1-1/2" typically works) to fit over you ratchet handle will work a treat.
I kept the handle from an old floor jack just for this reason. It is a little sloppy around the handle of a socket wrench but it does the trick when necessary.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
As I tell everyone I have way too many hammer's to be a good wrench! All so have a good number of old pipes that are in a stack with blocks of wood old tire tools etc. to make tools to nudge/force things off or apart. Sometimes you break stuff!:surprise:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts