StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new one about prepping a new chain. My last chain(RK) came packaged with a super thick tan colored grease. I installed the chain with this thick grease and regretted it since it threw that crap all over my rear wheel and collected under the primary sprocket cover. Now, I've ordered a new chain(Z-VMX) that I want to clean off the factory grease pre-install. I was thinking about cleaning the chain with kerosene first, drying it thoroughly, and then lubing it with DuPont Chainsaver upon install. From past experience, the thick grease that comes with the manufacturer is so thick that it attracts dirt like crazy. Comments?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Or get a shaft drive. I agree with the guys above. It's part of having chain drive. The flip side is it's easier to change gearing, cheaper to repair, & transmits more power. Replace all three as a set, otherwise you'll have accelerated wear.
Don't fret over it, just clean it once a year, it's a V-Strom, right?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Here's a new one about prepping a new chain. My last chain(RK) came packaged with a super thick tan colored grease. I installed the chain with this thick grease and regretted it since it threw that crap all over my rear wheel and collected under the primary sprocket cover. Now, I've ordered a new chain(Z-VMX) that I want to clean off the factory grease pre-install. I was thinking about cleaning the chain with kerosene first, drying it thoroughly, and then lubing it with DuPont Chainsaver upon install. From past experience, the thick grease that comes with the manufacturer is so thick that it attracts dirt like crazy. Comments?
This is a valid question. The tan assembly lube should be removed as you have figured out. But only due to dirt collection and fling off. Your cleaning and relube is just fine. I cheated some and just removed as much tan crap from the chain plates as a rag with WD-40 would remove quickly by wiping. The rest around the o-rings and in between the plates I left on the chain and then lubed the chain the frist time around 100 miles.

I do not clean chains other than the first tan crap removal.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why bother, it's much more easy to clean a wheel than a chain.
It's just as easy to clean the new chain pre-install as it is to clean a wheel. A little kerosene and a brush, and it's clean. Plus, I avoid that greasy gunk that builds up under the primary sprocket cover.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW....when one first removes the primary drive cover to perform a clutch adjustment, do you see considerable gunk build-up in this area? The reason I ask is that when I bought my '06 used 3 years ago and did my first clutch adjustment, there was an incredible amount of crud around this area.

·
Registered
833 Posts
BTW....when one first removes the primary drive cover to perform a clutch adjustment, do you see considerable gunk build-up in this area? The reason I ask is that when I bought my '06 used 3 years ago and did my first clutch adjustment, there was an incredible amount of crud around this area.
Yes, normal. Better have this than a rusted chain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would use diesel fuel and not kerosene, for kerosene can damage and make o ring brittle in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts