StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled off the old OEM chain on my new-to-me '04 Wee. The previous owner had sworn by WD-40 and the chain showed it. After 17k+ it had sticky links, herky-jerky downshifts etc... The sprockets are still in great shape, but the chain had to go.

I picked up a new DID chain and the Motion Pro 3-in-1 chain tool today, changed it, and just got back from my test ride. WOW :jawdrop: what a difference! My baby is silky smooth and quiet as all get out.

If you are wondering about your chain, and it's showing it's wear, replace it. It's easily one of the best $200 I've put into the bike so far ($120 chain, $75 for the tool)

HUGE thanks to all who have done this before and posted about the process of doing it.

Gritz

·
Registered
575 Posts
i've rarely had a chain last past 17,000 miles, and I use chain lube.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said it was OEM, but I have my doubts. Especially if he was using WD-40 to lube it. All I know is that it's even more of a dream to ride now. Perfect timing for the long weekend too. I'm gonna see if i can squeeze at least 500 miles into two days.

g

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
WD40 is great to clean the chain, and to remove sticky reidue from decals :thumbup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plain old WD-40, nothin' else. I think he saw question on my face, so he showed me the can.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
New chain on old worn out sprockets? Good way to kill a new chain.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a can of WD40 Chain Lube ... at least that is what it says on the can. I bought it at Home Depot.

I didn't look at the can though to see if there is any difference in the ingredients between it and "regular" WD40.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have a can of WD40 Chain Lube ... at least that is what it says on the can. I bought it at Home Depot.

I didn't look at the can though to see if there is any difference in the ingredients between it and "regular" WD40.
Thanks, not Alzheimer's then.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

The Chain Lube variety contains oil.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you'd be so kind to allow me to hijack your post for a second, I'd like to get educated about chain maintainence.

I just adjusted the chain on my 08 Vee that I've had for about a week. chain and sprockets look fine and previous owner claimed he maintained religiously. gave me the assorted 'chemicals' he used when I picked up the bike. 19K on the odometer. Should I be looking to replace or feeling lucky that things are holding up so well. I adjusted to '4th' mark from the end on swingarm...if thats the term.

Thanks in advance
Happy Memorial Day weekend

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Chain life varies due to the lubrication schedule, how hard the bike was ridden, how much rain it was ridden in, how much abrasive grit it was ridden in, etc. At 19k, you're probably running on borrowed time, but maybe everything is lining up well in your case.

There are about a dozen or two favorite chain lubes. The DuPont Multipurpose Teflon wax lube blue label sold at Lowes ($5) is one favorite; PG1 blue label is another. Lubing every tank of gas in the wet and every other tank otherwise is one wise plan. The chain can be cleaned by wiping with a dry rag, or wipe with kerosine or WD-40, then dry, or don't clean. Even though modern chains have lube sealed into the pins and rollers with o-rings or x-rings, there are other parts that need lube.

If the chain has kinks, it's dead. If you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position, it's dead. If the sprockets are showing wear with the gap starting to get the shark's fin hook, they're dead. Check the front sprocket--good to clean everything there periodically, anyway. It is always smart to renew chain and sprockets together to get the max life from your new chain. The marks on the swing arm aren't exact, and aren't good enough to line up the chain...a careful look to see that the chain is running straight off the rear sprocket is better for alignment. When adjusting, 20 to 30 mm of slack when the bike is on the side stand is good. Too loose is better than too tight.

If you're a hard rider who plans on owning your Vee for a lot of miles, consider 530 chain and sprockets. The 530 has wider rollers than the standard 525 and will give longer life. (On a Wee the 530 chain is unnecessary weight and cost, no real benefit.)

Blair at svracingparts.com, a supporting vendor here, has good prices on excellent chain and sprockets. The OEM chain is medium quality, and OEM sprockets are top quality.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Chain life varies due to the lubrication schedule, how hard the bike was ridden, how much rain it was ridden in, how much abrasive grit it was ridden in, etc. At 19k, you're probably running on borrowed time, but maybe everything is lining up well in your case.
Blair at svracingparts.com, a supporting vendor here, has good prices on excellent chain and sprockets. The OEM chain is medium quality, and OEM sprockets are top quality.
My 07 OEM chain has 33,000 miles on it, is still in spec and requires little adjustment-sprockets look good. A friend has 37,000 miles on his OEM and thinks it will be good for 50,000 miles. Good (anal) maintenance makes a huge difference!
I'm going to do a 3,000 mile trip to CO in June and then replace chain and sprockets (from SVracing products) even if they still look good before my month-long trip this fall. Ian, Iowa

·
Administrator
13,666 Posts
My last chain, which was never cleaned, lasted almost 45,000 MILES.

My last chain saw lots of street riding, but saw a good amount of gravel roads (both dry and wet) It was ridden in a lot of rain. It was ridden on roads that had lots of salt and salt brine on them.

Never cleaned.

Lubed after every tank of gas and after every rain ride.

Lasted almost 45,000 miles.

..Tom

ps: I used Wurth HHS 2000 but I don't know that that was the reason it lasted as there are many people that use auto chain lubers that get similar or more mileage with simple oil products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts