StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 23000 miles, my chain started bleeding and needed adjustment every 200 miles. I changed it to new EK 525 chain and new OEM size sprockets. The old chain was stretched to 120.5 links equivalent. New chain on. I didn't have rivet tool, so I used screw type master link from EK. Did the install according to instructions and everything looks great. I only worry about the master link. With rivet type you have mushrooming on the link with screw type, I don't see any mushrooming. I mean it's a press fit from .206 on the plate to .210 on the pin. Does anyone else have experience with screw type links?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I've only heard good things about them.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Screw link on my DL650A a few years and 6,000 miles ago - its still perfect from the outside.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
The interference fit and extra length extending from the side does it all. It would take as much force to get it off as it did to put it on. It also keeps a pair of external O-rings on that would call attention to any movement of the side plate and it would take a lot of movement. I haven't see a single report of anyone losing an external O-ring. It's better than a clip link with a side plate that slips on. They can work harden and break the opposite side plate. Reports of them failing are rare but it happens. I wouldn't mind a clip link that required pressing on the side plate though the degree of interference is less than with a screw link but I have seen reports of people noticing a missing clip on that type.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
master link

Guess just so old now I do not keep up with the new stuff. 50 years and never had a chain put on by anyone but me.Never had a street bike or drag bike break or fail.I use the rivet tool type for years now.Often still carry two off the old style master and a few links on long trips but luck with me never had to use them.Did take two links out of a 1984 FXST in 1990 in SpearFish,SD on a 11 day trip.Just used a small file in my tools to take rivet ends down.Had a chain breaker with me.I carried lots more tools on my Harleys.:smile2:.
I had never heard of the screw type master.Sounds like may be a good thing ?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I think only EK has the screw master link. The brand of master link needs to match the brand of the chain. I haven't heard any reports of problems with it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all. I've gone many miles with them. As you've probably found, they are really convenient to install, and to remove too - no grinding except to remove links from the new chain if needed. My new chain was a rivet type, and was a chore by comparison.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The screw-type master link would seem to be a great addition for your road-side emergency kit. Get you home and then you could do rivets.

Although it appears to work, I'm concerned by its width because of the tight clearances and wiring very near the counter-shaft sprocket but I differ to those with direct experience.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The screw-type master link would seem to be a great addition for your road-side emergency kit. Get you home and then you could do rivets.

Although it appears to work, I'm concerned by its width because of the tight clearances and wiring very near the counter-shaft sprocket but I differ to those with direct experience.
I've used these twice now, and I carry one as a spare. Once torqued down all the way, the heads are to be snapped off. What's left behind is only slightly wider than the other links - maybe a couple of millimeters at most. Should not have any clearance issue.
Now that I have a decent rivet tool, I prefer a riveted link. With a good tool, and a little practice, it really is quite simple.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used these twice now, and I carry one as a spare. Once torqued down all the way, the heads are to be snapped off. What's left behind is only slightly wider than the other links - maybe a couple of millimeters at most. Should not have any clearance issue.
Now that I have a decent rivet tool, I prefer a riveted link. With a good tool, and a little practice, it really is quite simple.
I don't find any clearance issues. The left over stubs stick out maybe 3 mm more than rivet head would. So far it seems to be holding on quite well. How much side to side pressure is there, really? I think if the chain and sprockets are all aligned, there should't be any sideways force to push the plate off. It takes a bit of force to get it on.
One thing I noticed is how quiet the bike is after new chain install.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've had two on my wifes bike and have gotten over 20k on both. I changed them before they needed it because we were taking cross country trips. I just bought one for my V2 with sprockets. I double check with a caliper just to make sure but probably don't need too. Nothing wrong with pressed rivets over the years wither but this was pretty easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts