StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to Greet my fellow Canadian Strom owners and introduce myself. This seemed to me to be a more appropriate place to do it instead of the main forum that everyone internationally reads.

Well here goes

My name is Paul and I live near London ont. I bought my Dl650 last august. It was my first bike and other than bicycles, I had never rode before. As a first bike the strom has been a gentle teacher. I will say that if I was any shorter this might not be true, I'm 5'10" btw. I managed to get just over 6000kms in before the snow flew. Now I can't wait for spring. What made me jump on a bike after 18 years on 4 wheels was a conversation with a seasoned rider who talked of nothing but the trip. I had to ask what kind of bike he rode because he never said. Before this all I ever heard was how fast the bike went or how loud the pipes were. That didn't catch my imagination at all. Now I hunger for the ride. Most of my friends think I'm nuts the was I talk but they don't ride. Hopefully I'll convince a few of them to join me eventually. I have read a few threads here in the Canadian Troopers and I am encouraged to see so many V-Strom owners in S-W ontario. Maybe I'll see you around.

Thanks for listening to this newbie with verbal diarrhea:D

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Welcome to the group Paul!

I know you are going to enjoy your new Wee as much as the rest of us.

I hope you are secure in your marriage, cause the lil lady prob wont be seeing much of you once riding season starts.... ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Welcome to the horde !!!

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard! These Stroms really are addictive!

I hope we see you at our Strom rides.. the first one we have setup is April 20th Starting in Barrie. It will be a great day and I know that the roads we are runnign are really nice roads.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Welcome to PXX!

Hi, Paul.

I lived in London long ago, and I like to go back there, for many reasons.

I have a family errand to run, quite near Waterloo Street, after the weather warms up, and I would be delighted to swap London stories with you. For instance, have a look at the tree sculpted on Queens Avenue between Waterloo and Wellington Streets. I watched the artist, and I think he's a great old guy ... he must be almost as old as I am!

I had a fine time in London in 2000, but found that my old school, Lord Roberts, had become a French immersion school.

I enjoyed visiting London in 2007, but found that my old school, Empress Avenue, had become a French immersion school. Ironic, eh, because that is the first school in which I learned any French.

If Knollwood also becomes French, that will complete the imemrsion process. I wonder if London is becoming an enclave of Québec!

I will be more active in the Canadian section when I reach Canada in May.
Keith

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard! These Stroms really are addictive!

I hope we see you at our Strom rides.. the first one we have setup is April 20th Starting in Barrie. It will be a great day and I know that the roads we are runnign are really nice roads.

..Tom
I have been following that thread with interest. I would love to check it out. I think I will have to get the monday off work though. As I have it figured, that would be a 600+ mile day round trip. Never done that much but I'd love to try. Worst case scenario I'll crash at my Dad's place in Aurora.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
...Worst case scenario I'll crash at my Dad's place in Aurora.
You gotta stop using the [email protected] word on a motorcycle forum. It makes people queasy. ;)

Stay at your Dad's on Saturday night and then blast home after our ride on Sunday. I've done the Northern route from Barrie to London a few times. Its straight and easy on secondary roads. You just have to deal with the setting sun. :cool:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=9289842427637750249,43.839280,-80.805270&saddr=barrie,+on&daddr=44.059959,-80.167236+to:[email protected],+-80.805270+to:London,+ON&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1,2&sll=43.687736,-80.716553&sspn=2.661346,3.565063&ie=UTF8&z=8&om=0

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Keith
I think that would be neat to hear about London. I'm afraid I don't have too much to share since I am transplanted here from Owen Sound. Back home we joke about the fact that our greatest export is people. I meet more people from O.S. here than back home it seems
Thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome

Hi Paul .

Welcome , i also am close to London, (10 minutes).
Are you going to bike show in London this weekend??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am planning on making it to the bike show. The MRS. wants to look at bikes. Shes starting to get the itch too. I'm making a stop at Inglis Cycle too. They're having a 25% off sale on eveything, including orders. Tires are 30% off. I think its farkle time!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
No crashes!

I have been following that thread with interest. I would love to check it out. I think I will have to get the monday off work though. As I have it figured, that would be a 600+ mile day round trip. Never done that much but I'd love to try. Worst case scenario I'll crash at my Dad's place in Aurora.
I came from Niagara Falls last year to do the season opener. The 'strom is a great long distance bike, once you get used to the seat (I use a sheep skin). Drove it there, did the ride, crashed (which is why you shouldn't use that word on this forum), rode home, injured body and bike. Had a helluva time.

So the moral is -- just do it!

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
...crashed...
...and all this time I thought you were just tired and needed a minute to lie down....why you chose the middle of the road was always confusing to me though. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just bought my DL1000K7 in November, It is my first bike also and I couldn't be happier with my choice. My only regret is I didn't buy it sooner..... I managed to get almost 900k on her before the snow started flying and now I am just praying for an early spring. The guys I ride with are on Boulavard C90T's (1500s) Being a hundred pounds lighter(bike wieght) I have no problem keeping up, let alone blowing past them...... lol. I love my Strom, it's as close to flight as you can get without leaving the ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts