StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Blair at SV Racing Parts, the DL1000 has new brakes. The calipers came from a friends cbr600rr- he wadded it up, but fortunately for me didn't destroy the calipers. Bedded the brakes and took it for a ride.

It feels great! Very linear braking feel, and it hauls the bike down in a hurry.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
Nice.........

·
Registered
657 Posts
Now, ditch the crappy stock rubber lines for a nice set of braided lines and improve brake feel even more!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are braided stainless lines, they're just black. :)

I dug up a cap for the schrader valve last night, dunno where the original one went.

After having the weekend to use the brakes and today's commute, I'm very impressed. It is a pretty dramatic difference in braking effort and feel, and very positive. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
294 Posts
After having the weekend to use the brakes and today's commute, I'm very impressed. It is a pretty dramatic difference in braking effort and feel, and very positive. Highly recommended!
Did you just use the stock master cylinder?

I'm thinking this upgrade is coming soon on my bike. I just need to source a set of calipers. Does anybody have any recommendations of whether the Tokico or Nissin calipers are better?

How about the rear? I'm most dissatisfied with the rear brake to be honest, it's like stepping on a 2x4 dragging on the ground.

·
Registered
522 Posts

How about the rear? I'm most dissatisfied with the rear brake to be honest, it's like stepping on a 2x4 dragging on the ground.
I installed a set of organic EBC pads on the rear of my Vee and it really did the trick. I trail-brake a lot on my Vee (it really steadies the bike in a turn) and made the change to get more feel.

·
Registered
657 Posts

I'm thinking this upgrade is coming soon on my bike. I just need to source a set of calipers. Does anybody have any recommendations of whether the Tokico or Nissin calipers are better?

I've got the Tokico set on mine with braided lines and the stock master cylinder. The feel is much better, and the power is there ... you still need 3 or 4 fingers to really get it all though. Next then, I'd like to replace the master cylinder with a radial cylinder, which is about $200. also available through Blair at SV.

The rear brake on the Vee is just about useless. I too like to trail brake the rear a little heading into the corner. I'd love someone to make up (and sell to me) a bracket to use the original right front brake.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not to hijack. I am running Blair's setup... I love it.
I saw a picture of a Caponard with radial calipers on standard forks. It was gorgeous.Hey Blair,How an adaptor? If it's possible.

Les

·
Registered
294 Posts
I installed a set of organic EBC pads on the rear of my Vee and it really did the trick.
I was thinking to try a pad change and a SS line in the rear. I have used EBC's carbon pads on my dirt bikes and love the feel and power. I was considering EBC's HH pads on the rear of the Strom. If I liked the rear maybe a set on the front before swapping out the calipers, but then it's a waste of $$$ for the pads if I end up swapping calipers unless I can reuse the right on on the rear.

I think reusing one of the front calipers might make a lot of sense, or a better one from a different bike.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I was thinking to try a pad change and a SS line in the rear. I have used EBC's carbon pads on my dirt bikes and love the feel and power. I was considering EBC's HH pads on the rear of the Strom. If I liked the rear maybe a set on the front before swapping out the calipers, but then it's a waste of $$$ for the pads if I end up swapping calipers unless I can reuse the right on on the rear.

I think reusing one of the front calipers might make a lot of sense, or a better one from a different bike.
The reason why I used organics in the rear is because they need very little in the way of heat to make them work well. Since I generally only use them in the twisties, this is a good compromise. They feel very good for the most part. It's really hard to get a great feeling rear brake because the foot is so well insulated from the pedal via my boot. Organics really shine when riding in the rain.

The HH's have a tendency to get grabby when warmed up and that can cause some pretty unforgiving circumstances. I use them on the front, where I have better feel, and it has made the stock calipers acceptable. Any more front brake right now, for me, would be useless until I get the forks upgraded with stiffer springs. My bike dives pretty hard with the stock springs.

I'll get some new springs and go from there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did the conversion when I first bought my Vee, I went with the GSXR calipers, big improvement. On the rear I use the EBC organics and they work great, good feel , good stopping power, not so good wearing. Just the price you pay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with the comments about going to the EBC HH pads and steel lines on the rear - it is a definite improvement in feel & stopping power. For me, the change in feel was dramatic enough I considered going back to the rubber line and a different compound, but quickly adjusted to the new feel. I personally didn't feel like I needed more than that back there.

As one poster mentioned, if you go with the bigger brakes up front, the matched fork springs to your weight are probably a good idea. My bike would dive pretty hard with the stock calipers & springs; I did the springs some miles ago. The new calipers probably wouldn't be much fun with stock springs, unless you're a real lightweight (and I'm only 160lbs).

My experience was that going with braided lines and EBC HH pads on front was an appreciable difference, but the caliper change is a huge difference! I used the pads Blair recommended, Galfer Sintered pads. I've kept the stock master cylinder (06 DL1000), and don't really have plans to change it out.

I can't comment much on the difference between the Nissin calipers and the Tokico's - I just went with the Nissin calipers because that's what I happened to have. I think I read on Blair's site that the CBR600RR calipers (Nissin) have a slightly larger bore, which should give them just a little bit more mechanical advantage.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did the caliper conversion about one year ago. When Blair sent the parts he sent Galfer pads along with the adapters. Last weekend I swithed the pads to EBC HH, BIG improvement, much more bite. I will say the galfers lasted forever but that was my first clue there was better braking to be found. I also like the EBC organics on the rear, great feel and not grabby.
The down side is they wear quickly. This is the first bike I have owned where i go through rear pads faster than the fronts. I almost always use the front and rear brakes when slowing this bike down, it makes a big difference. I also trail brake a lot in slow corners.

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
SV Racing Parts, 4 Piston Brake Calipers Upgrade

I'm thinking this upgrade is coming soon on my bike. I just need to source a set of calipers. Does anybody have any recommendations of whether the Tokico or Nissin calipers are better? .............
:thumbup: The SV Racing Parts, 4 Piston Brake Caliper Upgrade will really help with your bikes braking, and your ability to control the braking,

Here is a link to a post and thread that I put up to help my fellow Stromtroopers know what they need to and what they accessory options to the basic upgrade are;

http://www.stromtrooper.com/sv-racing-parts/69918-4-piston-brake-caliper-adapter-brackets-upgrades-sv-racing-parts.html

You can always Email me Directly at [email protected] with a contact phone number if you like and I will be happy to give you a quick call to briefly discuss the options and benefits with you,

BTW: For anyone Interested I do have a good condition set of Tokico Brake Calipers here and available, They are $75 with $10 Flat Rate Shipping to your door anywhere in the USA.

They do need new brake pads. I have and stock the correct superb Galfer HH Sintered Brake Pads for both the Tokico and Nissin Calipers in stock and ready to ship anytime,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just another must do up grade! Planning on doing this in the spring or summer. It's great that Blair has all the parts and pieces to make it a bolt on deal. Where do people generally find the calipers?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts