StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Bikes, New Adventures (PICS)

Hello all,
Im new to the group, and new to Slab riding. Ive been riding since I was 7 years old, and have done some motocross, and trail riding. The past few years I have been racing hare scrambles, and enduro type of stuff here in AZ.

About a year and a half ago, I hurt my left hand in a table saw accident, and lost most of the use of my pointer, middle and ring finger. I was unable to hold onto handlebars, much less even try and grab or pull a clutch lever. I still have no feeling in those fingers. I have had marked improvement over the past few months, and so was on the prowl to get some new bikes. (I sold my other racing stuff, as I knew my racing, and singletrack days were over.)

I also turned 40, so maybe a midlife crisis hit in. I had this wanderlust that couldnt be filled. After talking with the wife, we agreed on a budget for a new bike. I started looking, and before long I found a clean, pristeen XR650R for my dirt needs. I also currently own a KDX200, but it is all apart undergoing a full bottom-end replacement.

2 weeks later, I come across a 2004 WEE, and bought it. I've ridden to work everyday. I dread getting into the suburban, or even worse, the mini-van. But, kids gotta go places.

Anyway, here is a pic of the 2 in the stable:

I've had a few short "trips", but nothing ove about 120 miles. I did end up in Globe, az one night after leaving Mesa at 930pm. I told the wife, "Im going for a ride". She said,"Be safe, I'll be iin the studio..." (She is a glass artist aming other things). A while later, I found myself in Globe, hungry, with nothing open except a gas station. A quick phonecall, a soda, and bag of cashews found me back on the road, headed home.

This past saturday morning, I had a few hours before family, and kid obligations kicked in. I thought, Tortilla flats, here i come. 30 miles of long, straight slab followed by 10 miles of twisty, turny, made the 30 miles worth it.

Tortilla Flats, AZ

Canyon Lake

I am loving being back on the bike again after a year and a half. Soon, the KDX will be back together, and the stable will have 3. I also have a '77 Suzuki GS750 being built into a cafe, so that will be a fun little bike to cruise around on as well.

Are there any other Phx/EastValley Strommers on this sight? I'd love to get together for a ride sometime.

~Travis

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Nice pics Travis, especially the one with that deep blue lake in the background.

That's the biggest problem with these bikes, they always seem to take you to unexpected places.

Good to hear you can still manage a clutch even with your damaged hand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeay, gotta do the 4 finger clutch pull. the pointer and middle finger dont do a whole lot. Does Rekluse make a clutch for these bikes?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Welcome, you sound like the kind of rider that might like my2wheels.com.
We have a few members down your way around Gilbert.
One is currently attending Motorcycle Mechanics Institute.
Mike

·
Registered
588 Posts
I bought my '04 V last year for the same reason! (Not the tablesaw troubles... I turned 40 as well.) Looks like you've got a beautiful area for riding out of; I'm envious. We have the four distinct seasons here so, even though I start early Spring and run well in late Fall, I still have to park it for the winter. That, and I'm in a small province that geographically doesn't allow for travel in any one direction too awfully far without ending up on a boat so we have to make do with what we've got. You've got much more. Get out there and explore and post up lots of pics... we love 'em!

Ride safe!:thumbup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Travis,

I'm down here in Vail, near Tucson. That Tortilla Flats ride looks nice; I'll have to check it out.

I've been riding for just over a year on the Wee. And now I find myself checking out craigslist, looking at trail bikes. I keep thinking about getting a DRZ or some such thing. Looks like we have similar riding interests.

I've never done any dirt riding, but I'd sure like to take a swing at it. Plus my boys are just about the age that they may be able to handle a 50cc. Guess I better save my nickels.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Travis,

I'm no where close to you but I did get over to Tortilla Flats and the Canyon Lake some years back when my employer sent me to Phoenix for 2 weeks of Honeywell training. I was in a .... yuk,.. rental car. Hope to get back there on a bike someday.

Also, left class one afternoon around 4:00 and drove straight south on I-19to Nogales, planning to be able to say "I went to Mexico". Drove like a madman but still didn't get there till dusk. Ended up having a bit of a scare.... shouldn't have been there alone thats for sure. But anyway, I survived to talk about it.

dave

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum Travis. Good to hear that your injury is coming around. Nice stable you have there along with a beautiful area to ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Travis, I'm over in Gilbert. Not a Wee owner yet, but I see one in the near future. I have a garage full of dirt bikes and a Suzuki DRZ400SM for the TTF runs. If you are interested in those, let me know. Once I get a Wee, we can extend things out a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I bought my '04 V last year for the same reason! (Not the tablesaw troubles... I turned 40 as well.) Looks like you've got a beautiful area for riding out of; I'm envious. We have the four distinct seasons here so, even though I start early Spring and run well in late Fall, I still have to park it for the winter. That, and I'm in a small province that geographically doesn't allow for travel in any one direction too awfully far without ending up on a boat so we have to make do with what we've got. You've got much more. Get out there and explore and post up lots of pics... we love 'em!

Ride safe!:thumbup:
You might have a short riding season but Nova Scotia is a fantastic place to ride a motorcycle. Lots of empty coastline and winding roads, no traffic. The Cabot trail. Friendliest people and great seafood. When you cross the portal into Nova Scotia you go back in time and everything slows down. One of my favourites.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are a few of us in the east valley. Most of the ones I run across do silly things like taking them off-road. :thumbup:

Tortilla Flats is a good run. Unfortunately the east side seems lacking in really nice twisty roads. Try the ride along the salt river up past saguaro lake. It's not too bad.

Soon it'll be too hot to ride down here and we'll be making a bee line for the Bee Line highway and heading up to Payson.

Are there any other Phx/EastValley Strommers on this sight? I'd love to get together for a ride sometime.

~Travis

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Hello Travis,
Very nice story and very nice photos! We are "blood brothers". Although, your encounter with a tablesaw sounds just a tad bit more intimate then mine, (2 1/2 years ago.).

Great choice in motorcycles!

Keep the stories and photographs coming. Most likely I will never get to your neck of the woods, unless I do it through your photographs!

Welcome to the forum.

B.L.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You might have a short riding season but Nova Scotia is a fantastic place to ride a motorcycle. Lots of empty coastline and winding roads, no traffic. The Cabot trail. Friendliest people and great seafood. When you cross the portal into Nova Scotia you go back in time and everything slows down. One of my favourites.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutley love, and am super proud of riding out of Nova Scotia. It's my home and I love it. In fact, it would be a hell of a destination for you all the way from Az, Travis. Keep it in mind.

Here's a teaser... HFX to Blue Rocks on Vimeo

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are a few of us in the east valley. Most of the ones I run across do silly things like taking them off-road. :thumbup:

Tortilla Flats is a good run. Unfortunately the east side seems lacking in really nice twisty roads. Try the ride along the salt river up past saguaro lake. It's not too bad.

Soon it'll be too hot to ride down here and we'll be making a bee line for the Bee Line highway and heading up to Payson.

The bike has cont Road Attacks on it now. As soon as they are gone, i'm planing for something a little more aggressive. One of the firstcamping trips i wanna take is to see if the WEE can make it up and over 4 peaks. Maybe camp at the top.

The young road loop, with maybe a stop off camping at workmans creek.

Hannigans Meadow/coronado trail is also on the list.

I definately don't plan on keeping this bike Road Only. ive done the Bush Hwy/ Beeline loop several times. Its a good quick 1 hour stress releiver.

Thanks for the comments, I do love living here, I dont know what id do if i couldn't see the Horizon with trees all around me all the time. It must be the 4th Generation AZ Native blood in me. I gotta be able to see the sky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts