StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like I'm going to be picking my bike up Saturday. Can't wait to get it. I've been searching and looking through the forums and it looks like I'm going to do a couple of things pretty quick.
1. Lowering Pegs (6' 2", 34in inseam)
2. Bar Risers - Seems to be a lot of discussion on them. Any recommendations? I don't want to start messing with wiring or cables, I want direct replacement. Regular risers or offset risers?
3. Fork Brace
4. Possibly the Suzuki tall seat or Sargent but I want to get some time on the bike first before I spend the money. Everyone seems to like different seats for different reasons. No one seat that everyone can agree on
5. Windshield - Same thing, a lot of debate, no one windshield that everyone agrees on. I want some time in the seat before I decide on a windshield also
6 Givi Crash bars
7. Skid plate - Not going to see a lot off road so I mainly want something to protect the filter that's out in the open. I actually like the Suzuki one best even though it's plastic.
8. Radiator guard

Anything else I'm missing? The bike is coming with Suzuki side and top hard cases.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mirror extenders also

Reactions: Hmm

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Sounds like a good initial list to tailor the bike. I'd add a real horn to that list. Quite a few recipes out there. If you like plastic bash plates, Hyde racing makes one (Lousy mounting hardware though. ( I really like mine, but figured my own way to mount it). Adventure tech peg lowering and fork brace are forum standards all seem happy with. Smart to ride it a while and figure out how to optimize it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about a center stand also and it slipped my mind. I haven't heard the horn yet but I'll take your word that it isn't very good. Most aren't. I put a set of PIAA horns on my ZX11 and it now sounds like a truck horn. Rode past Helen Keller the other day, honked and she waved at me, that's how good it sounds.

Reactions: mark2wheeler

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got Mirror extenders on my list but I took the aftermarket mirrors off one of my Aprilias and put the stock ones back on. I'm going to see how they look on the Strom first

·
Registered
6 Posts
I searched around and found a lot of "out of stock" issues or cheapie "I don't trust these" risers. I found these "in stock" and I too did not want to change out any wires or cable and 1" seems just about right for me.. I'll be getting them 9/14.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I’m happy with my eBay risers that came from Turkey. Simple design. Decent shipping

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi 81D,

I would avoid the Givi crash bars. If you look on this forum, you will see that a lot of people feel as though they resonate and induce vibration into the bike. I purchased the bars offered by T-Rex Racing in Dallas TX. They are very reasonably priced, very high quality, and they did not induce any vibration on my 2019 V Strom 650 XT.

Disclaimer - I have not owned the Givi bars.....so I cannot personally compare the two.

Ray

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 6'6", 36" inseam, size 14 shoes, borderline low BMI.

Pegs with shifter extension from Rick Gear Shift Relocation/Extension
Mirror extenders, also from Rick Suzuki Mirror Extenders
Rox risers (these don't require any cable tweaks and are sufficient - I've seen shorter people wanting taller risers and I don't understand why.) Amazon.com: Rox Pro-Offset Block Riser (Spc) 1-1/4: Automotive
Seat Concepts seat Suzuki (2017-20) DL650 V-Strom *Comfort Tall*
Givi Airflow
Happy Trails skid plate Happy Trails V-Strom Skid Plate DL650 All - you may want to go with RaveTech Mini DL650 Mini Skid Plate - Ravetech as long as he can ship again (Thailand Post was the issue last time I checked with the guy a couple of months ago) or get the OEM plastic guard indeed. I sold my plastic thing just a few weeks ago here, I'm sure there'll be more, just wait it out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi and welcome,

There are threads here about all of the items you mention. My sense is that you can take a 'hobby' approach, and buy and add a bunch of stuff right away, or you can be more of a 'lets ride then see what I need' kind of person. I did a bit of both but I did add many (too many possibly) accessories early on. That said, I really like having a centre stand, and for me, crash bars were something that I wanted right away. I also got a skid plate as I was planning on an off-road course. A windshield change was also an essential. I like the Givi better than than a plain Madstad, but the Madstad with a small spoiler is so far the winner.

RE bars, I have the Givi and like them. They do not buzz for me, and have done their job. But other options are good too. Made in america is great, but I'll go with anything from a country with good labour and environmental laws, and good engineering and testing. I have a Ravetech skid plate, which I think is very good. Well-designed, especially in the mounting, and nicely crafted in Thailand.

I haven't done the peg lowering, but I'm pondering it. I have Zeta bar risers, about 20 mm ups and 26 back, or vice versa. No cable changing but some fussing with the cable routing was needed. A very, very good mod.

All the other stuff, bags and hand guards and phone holders are stocking stuffers, unless they address a real need. That said, I've stuffed my stocking and stressed my Visa card pretty seriously.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you install crash bars please note that the service manual has the incorrect torque for the engine mounting bolts. If you follow the service manual you will strip the threads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the correct/recommended torque?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got home late last night with the bike so I got it off the trailer and put it in the garage. Ive been out on it today for several short rides while messing with the windscreen height. I found that the buffeting is bad at tallest position, middle and lowest aren't as bad but settled on the middle for now. Came inside the house to start ordering stuff and was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Givi Airlflow but decided to go back through the whole windscreen thread and ran across the one posy about putting washers on the top bolts to push the top of the windshield out. I tried that and was quite surprised bu the difference. I'm going to play around with that for now but still not ruling out the Airflow. I am ordering the lowering pegs, mirror extenders, fork brace and probably some bar risers tonight. I will say that my initial impression is why did I wait so long to get a vstrom? By far the most comfortable bike Ive had. I'm liking the stock seat (i'm guessing it's stock) so far which surprised me so I don't have plans on buying an aftermarket seat now until I can do some pretty long days and see if that changes. Great bike. I'm happy.

Reactions: 305940

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an older DL650 (2011) but I have added: Altrider skid plate and crash bars, Sargent seat, fork brace, lowered & moved foot pegs, replaced the foot pegs with steel off road type, the knee & tank pads, Altrider slider that goes through the crash bar mount through the frame, center stand, Michelin Ankee Wild tires, dirt track style handlebars. I am considering handlebar offset risers but tilted the dirt track bars and I think I will be ok. I also lowered the rear end by 3/4".

I do not regret any of the changes. The Sargent seat and dirt track bars together with the foot peg repositioning and rear lowering link were essential for me as I am 5'7". The skid plate, crash bars, and slider are for peace of mind, and I have used the skid plate (gravel rocks from Forest Service roads) and the slider worked on a tip over.

As I am doing more off pavement riding I went to the Michelin tires and am currently having springs replaced on both ends of the suspension with an oil change in the forks. The OEM are too soft and you really find out when you hit a pot hole that escaped your attention. As mine is ABS I have to be conscious of that junction of brake hoses under the triple clamp as my clearance is further compromised by the fork brace. I do not know if Suzuki has addressed this with the newer DL650's.

Yes, get the center stand. It may have clearance issues off road but it is downright handy for most other riding.

The foot peg replacement is something you could pass up if you are going to be on pavement most of the time. I got mine off ebay for like $28. I had to modify the springs but it's not that hard. You can spend $150 or more for this if you want bragging rights I suppose.

The adhesive applied tank & knee pads look great, protect the bike and I find myself gripping them with my knees often. Easy to put one.

I installed everything but the tires and the rerouting of the controls for the handlebars which included a longer brake line needed from the junction under the triple clamp.

The tires seem to work well on the pavement for their type and are said to have a very long life. I don't ride in the rain so I cannot tell you how the feel in the wet. I will take the bike off road this fall and expect to see some mud but nothing that will get me stuck in a rut or such. I just wanted tires more useful on the grave and the occasional encounter with some mud. A DL at 500 lbs. is a bit too much for me on a 4wd drive road or single track or for that matter a bad two track.

On closing I must mention that I did change gearing which is a subject covered in another post you may want to read. It has been very beneficial to me but be advised my riding may be a lot different than what you may do. I do little freeway 80 mph cruising.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Grip Puppies
Ram Mounts for GPS and Phone
Throttle Lock (Kaoko if you can afford it)
Voltage Meter/USB ports

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, looks like I'm going to be picking my bike up Saturday. Can't wait to get it. I've been searching and looking through the forums and it looks like I'm going to do a couple of things pretty quick.
1. Lowering Pegs (6' 2", 34in inseam)
2. Bar Risers - Seems to be a lot of discussion on them. Any recommendations? I don't want to start messing with wiring or cables, I want direct replacement. Regular risers or offset risers?
3. Fork Brace
4. Possibly the Suzuki tall seat or Sargent but I want to get some time on the bike first before I spend the money. Everyone seems to like different seats for different reasons. No one seat that everyone can agree on
5. Windshield - Same thing, a lot of debate, no one windshield that everyone agrees on. I want some time in the seat before I decide on a windshield also
6 Givi Crash bars
7. Skid plate - Not going to see a lot off road so I mainly want something to protect the filter that's out in the open. I actually like the Suzuki one best even though it's plastic.
8. Radiator guard

Anything else I'm missing? The bike is coming with Suzuki side and top hard cases.
1. Pegs - I'm 6' 3" with 34 inch inseam. I lowered my pegs 2.5 inches and still don't scrape the pegs.
The factory pegs are just WAY to high for my legs. SVRP makes excellent lowering block
that come with everything you need, incl. a rear brake adapter - easy to install. I also bought
MCMotoparts off-road foot pegs with a 40mm (about 1.5"), but that might be overkill. The work
well but are a little wider (side to side) than I like.
2. Bar risers - I bought 2 inch Rox Pivoting risers (on my other bikes also) but I have not installed them
on the Vstrom - not sure yet how to run the cables - just hope I don't need new cables. I stand a lot
and need high bars and low pegs - back trouble and can't lean over much.
3. Fork Brace - don't know personally, but some say the newer Stroms don't need them as much.
4. Seat - no comment - like mine like it is.
5. Wincshield - stock has a LOT of buffeting - I've not bought a new one yet, but search this forum
for comments on the Givi - some say it's the best.
6. Crash bars - Check out T-Rex Racing crash bars - the only model out there that connects the left and
right side bars via TWO cross bars - one in front to the radiator (as most do) and one under
the front "beak." ( I have T-Rex bars on my 650XT and also my Kawasaki Versys - very happy with them.)
7. Skid plate - I have a T-Rex skid plate on my Kawasaki. My Vstrom came with a "Give Fender" plate
Givi makes great stuff - EXCEPT their very thin "Fender" skid plate - don't buy that one. The T-Rex
plate - I'm quite with mine - thick, no rivets or welds - form from one piece of 3mm alum. - can change
oil without removing skid plate. Excellent design.
8. Radiator guard - no comment - just got my Strom and still need to install one.

OTHER: If you'll be doing any off-road, check out the Mitas E07s on Youtube. Becoming very popular and
some Riding/Adventure companies are using them. I have them on my Versys and love them both on
road and off - a great 50/50 tire.
CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BIKE - You'll love the Strom.
-StromGeezer in southwest Colorado

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. Pegs - I'm 6' 3" with 34 inch inseam. I lowered my pegs 2.5 inches and still don't scrape the pegs.
The factory pegs are just WAY to high for my legs. SVRP makes excellent lowering block
that come with everything you need, incl. a rear brake adapter - easy to install. I also bought
MCMotoparts off-road foot pegs with a 40mm (about 1.5"), but that might be overkill. The work
well but are a little wider (side to side) than I like.
2. Bar risers - I bought 2 inch Rox Pivoting risers (on my other bikes also) but I have not installed them
on the Vstrom - not sure yet how to run the cables - just hope I don't need new cables. I stand a lot
and need high bars and low pegs - back trouble and can't lean over much.
4. Seat - no comment - like mine like it is.
I would like to suggest that this combination is not optimal. I dealt with my 36" inseam by moving my body up with a tall seat and risers, because my pegs are lowered 1" and I scrape them regularly in low speed exercises. If you're not scraping 2.5"-lowered pegs you're not riding the bike the way it can be ridden.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts