StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I actually have the bike I thought I'd start a new thread in case anyone was interested in these.

Hit 100 km today. Not bad really considering I just got it on Tuesday afternoon and went bicycling last night rather than motorcycling.
4.4 l to top it up. I may have overfilled it a little.

Found a mud hole today. Looks like most of the unmaintained right of ways out in the country here have been torn up pretty good by 4x4s.
So it's got some dirt on it now.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should take a couple "beauty" shots outside without all the garage clutter.

Fun little bike so far. Light, pretty gutless. Not beating on it too hard, yet. Not strictly sticking to the break-in RPM recommendations, though - they're absurd. Max 4000 RPM until 300 km(IIRC)? That could be half a riding season for some new owners of one of these things. Top gear at 4000 rpm is maybe 70 km/h.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think I need some numbers for the sideplates. Just not sure what number(s) to go with. 42?

Or some sort of graphic/logo/sticker. Maybe a big Kawi K, old school style?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
would it make good shuttle bike (for hikers)

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Any accessories or changes planned?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking maybe a skid plate at some point. Maybe shorten the rear fender.
Only had it 3 days, so not too many plans yet, lol.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Manual calls for first oil change at 1000 km. I'm not sure I want to wait that long. I'll have to pick up a filter (cartridge filter). I wonder if it takes the good old CH6012?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So right now I'm deciding whether to get the Seat Concepts foam and cover kit, or the full seat. Not super expensive, but not super cheap, either.
The stock seat is a bit of a brick, little too hard.
Also have to decide whether to go for the high, medium or low grip seat option. They recommend the low grip (same as sides) for people who like to ride on the street in jeans, which does describe a lot of my likely usage.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I have a Seat Concepts seat kit on my Wr250R. Seems just about right. I went with Gripper Top and standard sides. Install was pretty easy if you have the right staple gun. I tried a few before I found one that would penetrate the plastic consistently. I added a Tusk heating element, which was very reasonably priced. My WR is very wired for heat.

Reactions: V-Strom Ry 2

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
So right now I'm deciding whether to get the Seat Concepts foam and cover kit, or the full seat. Not super expensive, but not super cheap, either.
The stock seat is a bit of a brick, little too hard.
Also have to decide whether to go for the high, medium or low grip seat option. They recommend the low grip (same as sides) for people who like to ride on the street in jeans, which does describe a lot of my likely usage.
Found your new thread haha. I found the best source for the seats in Canada from MX1 Canada. They are based out of BC but stock a larger number of the seats and you get it in a few days instead of a few weeks. Also don't have to deal with shipping and customs charges. I went with the full seat on the Honda, but they are really easy to install. I just wanted to keep the stock seat incase I wanted to put it back on to sell the bike, or if I start trailering it to trails I'd probably use the stock seat again.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Congrats. I had a 2012 for a while (carburated). A larger fuel tank and aftermarket handlebars were my favorite mods.i had a cyclops led headlight which threw more light than my f250!

Now pull out the dremel and shorten that ridiculous rear fender!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've had the bike for all of 2 weeks and broke it. Screwing around in a construction lot last night lowsided it on a hard, gravelly surface. Looks like I've managed to damage the shifting mechanism. I think I know what the problem probably is (from KLX forums), but getting at it means I have to remove the countershaft sprocket. Ai-ya!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the countershaft sprocket nut has defeated me, for the moment at least.
18" breaker bar and all my limited strength couldn't budge it. Now I'm deciding whether to just take it to the dealer and get someone who has the tools and knowledge to do the job to do it, or go buy a big ass electric impact driver and hope that will move it.

As it's so new, maybe I'll just let the pros take care of it. Sucks, pain in the ass, and who knows how long it will take to get the parts? Especially these days.

At least my kneecap isn't hurting as much today. I was more worried about the bike lol.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You use a 3 foot "helper" piece of pipe on your breaker bar. Apply the rear brake very firmly and use the pipe and breaker bar to loosen the expletive deleted nut. piece of cake.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't have a suitable piece of sturdy pipe around, unfortunately. It's really not easy applying the rear brake firmly and reefing on a wrench at the same time. It doesn't help that the countershaft nut is quite shallow and so you really have to work at keeping the socket on it. Lucky I even had a 27mm socket on hand.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
If you are going to do a lot of off road, a better set of tires might be helpful. I know everyone on the Wr25)R forum says the stock tires they come with are terrible off road. I bought mine with Dunlop 606 rear and a Pirelli MT21 up front. Seems to drive quite well on the street despite looking like a pure knobby.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I did finally get the nut off with the help of a new 27mm impact socket and a friend's electric impact wrench.

And then there's the "Phillips" (JIS) head screw holding the cover on in one spot. My supply of JIS screwdrivers is nil, but an appropriate size Phillips impact bit and driver will usually get the out with damage.

Haven't actually removed the cover yet. Had to remove the chain to get the sprocket off, and the oil needs to be drained again, and I ran out of steam. Kinda hot out in the garage. Ordered the part that is most likely damaged (a stud that threads into the case), and a new clutch lever. Parts should be in by the weekend with any luck.

Probably should have just got it done at the shop, but it's a pain dropping it off and picking it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts