StromTrooper banner

New Bike = New Noises...Normal???

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  water warrior 
#1 ·
Hello
I just picked up a new 2011 DL1000 today and took a leap of faith as in never having the chance to ride a V-Strom before. I have always liked the look and function of this bike, and the Honda Varadero, and am coming from a Kawi Concours. I am not that overly concerned, seeing as it is new and under warranty, but can any 1000 owners chime in here with their experience.
When riding at about 20-40 mph I can hear the rumble from the exhaust exiting behind me, but I can also make out a noise (valvetrain perhaps?) coming up from directly beneath me, sorta loud. At highway speeds, the wind noise drowns it out and the bike seems to run and idle just fine. Is this a normal top-end noise for this motor? My 1400 Concours was quiet, but then the motor was hidden beneath the bodywork as well. Like I said, the bike runs just fine, but I have no other to compare it to. Is this indeed a normal sound for the V-Strom 1000? Thanks in advance for all replies!

#4 ·
Yes it can be. Mine now has over 28000 miles on it and it sounds pretty much the same. Just poor in the regular fuel and do oil changes you should have a ton of fun for many kilometers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.