StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a serious itch for a new 2016 dl650xt which will step up from my 2007. Since Suzuki declined to include bags and/or racks in 2016 do I transfer my old but in great shape Givi E22 side bags and just buy the new GIVI mounts or sell the bags with the old bike and get a new setup? They are a little small but stay empty most of the time.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
Unless you are considering going over to a soft bag system, I'd buy new racks(or used ones if I could find them) & keep the old bags. You will lose some $ either way, but not as much if you keep the existing bags.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you are considering going over to a soft bag system, I'd buy new racks(or used ones if I could find them) & keep the old bags. You will lose some $ either way, but not as much if you keep the existing bags.
That’s pretty well the direction I was headed. Needed somebody to talk me off the edge.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well I'll be the devil on the other shoulder. It's only money. Your upgrading your bike and starting fresh so why not upgrade everything. The old bike will sell faster with the luggage. Visualize your new bike with the old bags... Now with new ones... There's your answer. Jussa thought.

·
Vendor
4,900 Posts
For some reason Shad has priced teh racks for the DL650 2012 to 2016 cheaper than the other models. $138 for the racks and $525 for the bags and we give free shipping within the US on these. I use the SH36s on my Vee2. They are surprisingly durable having survived several standing tips overs with nary a scratch.

One of the reasons I purchased them was because the racks blend in with the bike when the bags are removed. Much less obvious with the bags removed intrusive than the givi system we also sell.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
+1 for Shad cases/mounts.
I haven't seen it mentioned but the shape looks a lot better able to shed a cross wind. I love that you don't need a key to get into them and the handle is flush when not in use. The shelf holds your stuff or the liners in place when you open them. They really are a trick design. And of course, Rick is a straight up seller.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just wondering off road I use my moose racing racks as kinda crash bars for the rear and they give me just a hair more leverage as they keep the bike from completely setting on the ground. These shad ones don't look like they would do to much for that. How sturdy are they as in would they bend in if the bike went down on a trail?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I had the Shad 36' s on my NC700X . I thought they looked fine but they are fairly wide. Price is good as well as quality. Design is awesome.
On the NC700 forum, there's a thread where a guy narrowed the racks by a couple of inches. It wasnt too hard but i cant remember how he did it.
I wouldn't try using the racks for protection.

Just remembered...I was one of the first users and they used my review with pics. I'm somebody!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Why to spend $650 if you can spend only $150 for Givi racks. You already have E22. They are smaller and better in the city. Good enough for weekend trip too. Nobody will pay you extra $500 if you keep them with old bike when selling it. Plus if you need bigger bags it is much easier to find them (even used) for Givi racks. I have a set of old Givi 21 ( for acting as a bumpers) when I go off road. E22 for commuting mostly and E360 for longer trips. It all woks pretty well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully I’m not wrong but went with new bags. I think I will like a little bit bigger bag than the 22’s. Now I’m really debating on a top case. Small portion of my feeble brain says to just use a luggage piece on the rear but quick dry storage would be nice. Wish Bestem still made the top case. Getting close to just pulling that off the 07.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts