StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first impression of this bike was great. But lately, every time I ride, it gets worse. Idle hammer did not really appear after the first oil change but the idle gets worse all the time. Now it seems to have fueling problems. Most of the time it has to turn over a lot to start. Sometimes I actually have to blip the throttle to get it to fire. I don’t understand why nobody makes a new bike that works. I had a 2019 Africa Twin that would stall through intersections, had an occasional misfire and once in a while would backfire out the intake. So I traded in for the 2018 Vee. It started out great but is going downhill. It is also the hottest it has been yet at 30 degrees Celsius. Maybe it’s the heat. It amazes me that dodge can sell a hellcat but a motorcycle manufacturer has to starve the bike to pass emissions. Do I have to spend 2 grand on a dyno tune to get a new bike to run right. Or should I just start riding older bikes, they always seemed to run right.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
You seem to have a dark cloud following you around. What does your dealer have to say?
Just a SWAG, but do you buy all your gas at one place and if so, is it possible that there is an issue there? I was out on my new bike yesterday when it was 35C and it ran great so it is possible even with today's emission regs.

For sure your description of the AT traits are not "normal".

The fact that your Strom is getting worse points to something other than tuning to meet emissions. If that was the case, it should have run poorly from the get go.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Blame the EPA, not Suzuki.

My Super Tenere is as close to perfect as I have found yet, but it still could have better off idle fueling. The S10 also has an annoying trait that if you start it and it stalls before warmed up, it can flood and be a bitch to restart unless it sits for a while. I also don't like how the radiator doesn't function as well as it could, unless the bike is moving (it has a sideways mounted radiator). So my fan runs a lot, especially offroad.

If you want perfect, buy a BMW........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
odd, i've had no issues with mine. Something isn't right, how many km are on it now?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Blame the EPA, not Suzuki.

My Super Tenere is as close to perfect as I have found yet, but it still could have better off idle fueling. The S10 also has an annoying trait that if you start it and it stalls before warmed up, it can flood and be a bitch to restart unless it sits for a while. I also don't like how the radiator doesn't function as well as it could, unless the bike is moving (it has a sideways mounted radiator). So my fan runs a lot, especially offroad.

If you want perfect, buy a BMW........:rolleyes:
You may already be aware of this, but there's a fix for that Super Tenere off idle stumble on their forum.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You may already be aware of this, but there's a fix for that Super Tenere off idle stumble on their forum.
Are you referring to the reflash?

Mine is more a snatchy throttle than a stumble (poor choice of words on my part). It is only noticeable in the sport setting and I use the Touring setting 95% of the time anyway. My hand is also re-calibrated very well now. I have resisted the reflash until my extended warranty expires.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a SWAG, but do you buy all your gas at one place and if so, is it possible that there is an issue there?
Fuel usually in the same place but there have been others. The hard start has been getting worse for a while. It seems like the warmer it gets outside, the worse it gets.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find from the forums that it doesn’t matter what brand you look at. They all are being programmed very lean to meet emissions. There were several people on the Africa twin forum with the misfire issues like me. Nobody could fix it. I am sure if I go to the dealer, I will get the same story. Nothing wrong. I believe it’s just poor fueling that gets worse with high temperatures. I’m not sure if the particular years but the super ten was very common for people looking for an ecu reflash as well. My worst running bikes I’ve ever had have been my 2019 and my 2018.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Are you referring to the reflash?

Mine is more a snatchy throttle than a stumble (poor choice of words on my part). It is only noticeable in the sport setting and I use the Touring setting 95% of the time anyway. My hand is also re-calibrated very well now. I have resisted the reflash until my extended warranty expires.
No. There have been some complaints over the years about the off idle stumble on the S10. There's a fix for that which involves adjusting the air screw on the fixed throttle body. I did on mine, not so much for the off idle stumble, but it made it easier to get the throttle bodies to synchronize.

There's also a good procedure there to remedy a hard start. If you want, I'll post it here when I get near my laptop again.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Just over 4000km
really surprised to hear that, i'm at 35,000km and haven't noticed any issues that you've had with the fueling. I recently bought the CRF450L and that bike has a really twitchy throttle and fueling issues in order to meet emissions. Maybe i've just gotten used to it.

as much as it sucks, it's probably cheapest option to just buy have it tuned, the $2,000 hurts but it seems like any new bike is going to have the same issue for you. That or buy an older bike, but you'll likely lose a lot of money selling the V-Strom.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That or buy an older bike, but you'll likely lose a lot of money selling the V-Strom.
Ya. Already did that with the Africa Twin. I really like the Strom. I guess I will try the cheap route and go with a booster plug. The bike works fine at cruising speed. If it works, it’s a lot cheaper than a programmer and dyno time. I want to go through the bike and check everything before I add any aftermarket things. Problem with that is I ordered a factory Suzuki manual. I was told it is usually a week. I have been waiting for 2 months. Covid problems I guess.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
No. There have been some complaints over the years about the off idle stumble on the S10. There's a fix for that which involves adjusting the air screw on the fixed throttle body. I did on mine, not so much for the off idle stumble, but it made it easier to get the throttle bodies to synchronize.

There's also a good procedure there to remedy a hard start. If you want, I'll post it here when I get near my laptop again.
I think I am good RCinNC....but THX

My 2013 had some of the issues you describe but my 2015 runs flawless. Just has a little bit of a "hair trigger" in S mode. I have only had 1 hard start on the 2015. I am now smart enough to start it and let in run till the temp registers before I turn it back off.

Sorry for the thread drift OP.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The more I think about it. I have got fuel at the same station at the same pump for the last few tanks. I’m going to go burn this tank and fill elsewhere. Just for a try. I still believe this is just poor fuelling

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Ya. Already did that with the Africa Twin. I really like the Strom. I guess I will try the cheap route and go with a booster plug. The bike works fine at cruising speed. If it works, it’s a lot cheaper than a programmer and dyno time. I want to go through the bike and check everything before I add any aftermarket things. Problem with that is I ordered a factory Suzuki manual. I was told it is usually a week. I have been waiting for 2 months. Covid problems I guess.
Another cheap option might be the G2 Throttle Tamer, that thing worked wonders on my CRF450L. it changes the ratios, so that the first 1/4 throttle it actually only uses like 1/8 throttle for example, and then makes it up in the last 1/4. You can replace the cams and fine tune it to just the way you like it. It really smooths things out.

The more I think about it. I have got fuel at the same station at the same pump for the last few tanks. I’m going to go burn this tank and fill elsewhere. Just for a try. I still believe this is just poor fuelling
Are you running premium? Some people try to cheap out and run reg or mid grade.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always run premium. And I don’t think the throttle tamer will help it start any better. I shouldn’t be touching the throttle. I don’t find the throttle response a problem. It’s all relative I guess. Coming from the Africa Twin, which had a terrible snachy throttle. It was hard to ride down a rough paved road without jerking the throttle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first impression of this bike was great. But lately, every time I ride, it gets worse. Idle hammer did not really appear after the first oil change but the idle gets worse all the time. Now it seems to have fueling problems. Most of the time it has to turn over a lot to start. Sometimes I actually have to blip the throttle to get it to fire. I don’t understand why nobody makes a new bike that works. I had a 2019 Africa Twin that would stall through intersections, had an occasional misfire and once in a while would backfire out the intake. So I traded in for the 2018 Vee. It started out great but is going downhill. It is also the hottest it has been yet at 30 degrees Celsius. Maybe it’s the heat. It amazes me that dodge can sell a hellcat but a motorcycle manufacturer has to starve the bike to pass emissions. Do I have to spend 2 grand on a dyno tune to get a new bike to run right. Or should I just start riding older bikes, they always seemed to run right.
I have the 2018 with exactly the same issue. I took it to TWO dealers and they both gave a clean bill of health. They contacted Suzuki who advised then that it was normal. One dealer took the identical bike/model/year out and found they sound the exact same, so again, normal.

At least it is documented now and if something happens, it's on them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the 2018 with exactly the same issue. I took it to TWO dealers and they both gave a clean bill of health. They contacted Suzuki who advised then that it was normal. One dealer took the identical bike/model/year out and found they sound the exact same, so again, normal.

At least it is documented now and if something happens, it's on them.
The idle hammer is getting worse but I understand what is happening and it is normal. But not starting easily is not normal. Have you tried different fuel?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts