StromTrooper banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It's a hoot so far. Took it for a spin tonight. Spooky light steering at low speeds. Pretty gutless, but taking it a little easy on the engine to start. It's good for about 80 km/h at 5000 rpm or so in sixth. I can tell it really wants to be above 5k for good power. Fun to toodle along on something so, out there in the wind. It's ridiculously skinny between my knees.. I admit, in already thinking about power enhancements. Doesn't seem like anyone makes a decently quiet but freer flowing muffler. Maybe just open up the intake a little and possibly tweak the fueling. Just to perk it up a little, lol. But that's a project for later, maybe.

Took it over to the big dirt pile and construction area across the road. Interesting combination of very hard, very rough, and very loose surfaces. Almost low sided it once riding up the side of slope. Got it a little dirty but it was all dry, so mostly just some dust. Tires are reasonably aggressive by adv standards but hardly full on DOT knobbies.

Need to tweak the suspension settings a bit. Think it needs more preload and rebound at the rear, and less compression. Front might need a little more compression damping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Recently sold one of the GS's and now keeping an eye out for a GSA or another GS or both. Mildly looking for a street titled 2 stroke dirt bike and lately have been thinking of another Motor Guzzi Convert.
Several years ago I owned a Yamaha TZR250 (Canadian-model, grey import) that was titled...I NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD THAT BIKE!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I'd love to try aTZR 250. I think light weight is what I am most interested in when it comes to bikes

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Can you collect any information from the web ?

I don't know about where you come from but here down under many bikes (even little ones) are sold with restrictors in the exhaust pipes so search for that or just pull the pipe and have a look.

Opening up the air box is another great way to gain some performance, down under they are restricted to keep the intake noise down, just leaving a cover off could get a gain or you may have to go deeper and re-jet for the extra air flow.

Reactions: V-Strom Ry 2

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
It's fuel injected, so I guess some sort of box would be required to tweak it. The bike is catalyzed, apparently.
I've seen YouTube videos that mentioned removal of the airbox snorkel freeing up the breathing a little.
But hey, it's not even broken in yet. Yeah, I know what I said about breaking in, and I'm certainly not keeping to the absurd break-in recommendations, I'm not wringing its neck yet, either.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I'll soon rectify that. I must admit, though, even as a kid playing in the mud never appealed to me all that much. Like I say, later here I might go check out the big dirt pile I can see from my upstairs window here. Time to start hunting for trails and such that I can go down.
Congrats on the new bike, great choice! I'm loving my CRF450, already found some awesome crown land camping spots on it that I couldn't get to on my v-strom! Are you near Kingston?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts