StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am picking up a Orange 12 this weekend and am looking to get a center stand. I can get the Suzuki one for $275(with dealer discount) but just noticed the SW-Mototech one for $179. Does anyone have any experience with the SW-Mototech one? $100 cheaper is significant.
Thanks,
Paul

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have an SW-Motech stand on my present bike and a new one ready for when my 2012 comes in. I expect no problems with it as my old one works fine. SW-M stands have a little less straight up ground clearance and a little more left turn clearance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a Murphy's centerstand, which I paid $129 for my 2011 wee, should also fit the 012's but check to make sure. Congrats on the new bike & ride it safely.

·
38,048 Posts
I have a Murphy's centerstand, which I paid $129 for my 2011 wee, should also fit the 012's but check to make sure. Congrats on the new bike & ride it safely.
Stands for earlier models do not have a proper stop. The stop plate on the exhaust is not there in 2012 and the old stand clangs onto hard parts on the new bikes. The new stand has a stop arm with rubber bumper added.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and that also clears up the difference between 12's and the earlier models! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
FWIW: You can replace the missing stop with an exhaust clamp and some rubber strip (to cut the noise). Not pretty, but effective enough.

Pete

·
Registered
259 Posts
Anyone? I'm trying to come up with a creative alternative welding a stop to the laser exhaust I picked up... could just wrap the stand with a lot of header wrap in one spot?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I installed the SWM stand last week. Very nice piece of kit, easy installation. Just the right amount of clearance too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Suzi center stand

Installed the (2012) Suzuki center stand last night -- straightforward. The hard part was the installing the springs. My spring hook wasn't up to the job. I tied some nylon parachute cord to the rear wheel and ran it through the inner spring to gain mechanical advantage, then again for the large one. Fairly easy that way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
SW Mototech is on order.
Just got done installing the SW-Motech stand on my 2012 about 15 minutes ago. Easy install. The only issue I had was that I had to go slow with threading the thinner bolts as they did not want to thread into the frame member at first. Just take your time and you will be good to go. The install video on youtube is handy. He shows a good technique for putting on the springs. I got the springs in on the first try doing it the way he did. Keep in mind the install for the 2012 is slightly different (mainly regarding the bumper). Otherwise, the video is very helpful. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got done installing the SW-Motech stand on my 2012 about 15 minutes ago. Easy install. The only issue I had was that I had to go slow with threading the thinner bolts as they did not want to thread into the frame member at first. Just take your time and you will be good to go. The install video on youtube is handy. He shows a good technique for putting on the springs. I got the springs in on the first try doing it the way he did. Keep in mind the install for the 2012 is slightly different (mainly regarding the bumper). Otherwise, the video is very helpful. Good luck.
Thanks!!
Just curious, you in the Marines?? :mrgreen:
Retired Navy here.

·
38,048 Posts
Crash bars without skid plates and centerstands have no interaction. Pat Walsh crash bars have a built in skid plate but Suzuki's do not.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have the S-W Moteh centerstand on my 2012 650. I had the Suzuki stand on my 1000. The Motch stand is a LOT easier to get the bike up, I don't know if they use a different geometry or whatever the reason, maybe it's the weight, but it's tucked in farther, cheaper, and much easier to use! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and to 2012 ownership, picked mine up a couple of weeks ago, and still at the running in stage. I'm pleased to report that were bonding very nicely and it looks like being a long and happy relationship.
I've been reading the forum regarding the SW Motech centre stand for the 2012 model Wee, and understand that the bumper stop is now fitted to the stand itself.
Can anyone show me a picture of the 2012 stand fitted to their bike, I'm curious to see where they have mounted the bumper on the stand, and which part of the bike it rests against when in the upright position. I did see a picture on a link named centre stands and pricing, but could not see bumper on the stand.
Many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
by chance does anyone have a photo of their hose clamp/rubber stop setup?
Look at the mounting instructions at one of the center stands. There's a picture of the stopper, the rest is up to you. I have thought of either making one myself or just ordering the part from ( Motech ?)

·
38,048 Posts
I've been reading the forum regarding the SW Motech centre stand for the 2012 model Wee, and understand that the bumper stop is now fitted to the stand itself.
Can anyone show me a picture of the 2012 stand

1 - 20 of 22 Posts