StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new Strom rider here. I recently purchasing a 2007 from a guy locally with a set of Anakee 2's. The rear tire seems to be in good shape with plenty of tread life. The front has less tread left (almost to wear bar), but I noticed that there are these weird bumps on some of the tread blocks and the blocks themselves are not work appropriately. See attached picture. Is this of any concern?

If/when I do replace them, I assume it's not critical to replace them with another Anakee 2. I expect I'm going to be more of a 90/10 rider, but didn't know if it was important to match a 70/30 front with a 70/30 rear. Any reason not to put a different tires from the tire thread on it?

Should I consider putting a 70/30 on anyway, just so I have slightly better off-road capability if I find myself in that situation? My only complaint about the Anakee 2 front now is that it's pretty loud, but not an issue with ear plugs.

Thanks for the advice. This is my first ADV bike, everything else was a cruiser or sport bike so on/off tire selection is a new area.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,081 Posts
Those are worn tires and blisters like that indicate a problem.
You can choose any brand you like for the front and let her rear wear out naturally.
You might check the date stamp on the rear tire. It may be old and old tires won't give the best service.
Lots of us like Shinko for street and the odd dirt travel.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Don't ride on that tire!

90/10 are ok on hard packed dirt, they suck on gravel... Ive been very happy with Shinko 705s after trying some Tourance. I'd only go back to Tourance if I never left paved roads...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
How old are these tires? Check out that rear tire very carefully to make sure it's not dry rotted.

The front is toast and needs replaced. If you want to stay with mayor Brand Name tires look for Anakee 3 or Tourance Next. There are may other ones. Google here and find hours of reading and as many opinions as posters (almost).

I got a lot of miles out of my Tourance Next and no weird wear pattern, so that's why I replaced it with the same.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't ride on those.

I'm a big fan of the Bridgestone battlewing tires, but again good for gravel and hard pack dirt and really good on asphalt - especially riding in wet of the Pacific North We(s)t.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't ride on those.

I'm a big fan of the Bridgestone battlewing tires, but again good for gravel and hard pack dirt and really good on asphalt - especially riding in wet of the Pacific North We(s)t.
Another Battlewing fan. Been through numerous sets, get about 15-17,000 front and 10-12,000 rear. Probably could get a few more miles, but change early to avoid changing on the road during a trip. Ok on gravel.

The Shinko's and Mitas look interesting though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm still on my stock tires on the Glee, so I can't offer a lot there, but I will echo the "don't ride on that" one more time. I've only ever seen bubbles on the sidewall, never on the tread, but I wouldn't ride on that on a car other than to get to a tire shop, let alone a bike. Sorry you have to do maintenance so soon on your new ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up everyone! I actually didn't even notice the bumps until taking the pictures for this thread. The back doesn't have any dry rotting or anything that I can see, but I'll be down there soon to do the spacer mod and will get a good check on it and the bearings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As others have said, DO NOT ride on those things. I would be changing them for anything before trusting them

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Thanks for the heads up everyone! I actually didn't even notice the bumps until taking the pictures for this thread. The back doesn't have any dry rotting or anything that I can see, but I'll be down there soon to do the spacer mod and will get a good check on it and the bearings.
Check the age of that rear tire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that it's super critical info, but I wound up replacing both the front and rear. Rear was 5 years old (2012) and the Shinko 705's are pretty inexpensive. Should be put on tomorrow by the shop, I'll probably tackle replacing my own next time.

Thanks blaustrom for the push to check the rear. :) Got a couple recommendations for easier off-road rides in the area that I'll try to hit up in the next week or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts