StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving my new wee! My question is while cruising around town, what should the rpm's be reading. The manual says at 37 mph I should be in 6th gear or something to that affect. Any inside info is welcomed.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You "should" be in whatever gear allows you to pull away smoothly and without lugging. Exactly what gear that is will depend on road speed, loaded weight, road in/decline, altitude, tyres, sprocket sizes and tuning. If you snap open the throttle and it lugs before speeding up then you're in too high a gear, if it sounds like you're reving the ring out of the bike then you're in too low a gear.

To put it another way, does the bike pull away well enough at that speed in that gear to get you out of the way of an oncoming shyt storm? If yes, good. If no, drop a gear. Is the engine lugging? If no, good. If yes, go down a gear. Does the bike sound like a 250 four-pot (errrr thimble) because it's reving so hard? If no, good. If yes, go up a gear.

Speed/gear relationships in the manual are general suggestions, not hard and fast rules. I find my 650 is happier if I keep it over three grand on the tacho with stock tyre and sprocket sizes, three and a half if I want a little more punch in traffic, and I change gear to make sure I don't go under that. Ymmv.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I read the manual I had a laugh at their recommended gear / speed table.

Not sure what that's about, maybe they tell you very high gears for the speed, to keep rpms low, as that's what they advice for the first 1000 kms, under 4500 rpm or something like that.

Seems crazy to me though.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You "should" be in whatever gear allows you to pull away smoothly and without lugging. Exactly what gear that is will depend on road speed, loaded weight, road in/decline,
Yep. Run the rpms that feel good to you. The speed vs. gear thing is all about load. If I'm puttering along in town at 20mph, I might run at 3500. There is no place to go hard and fast. If I'm on an open road following gramps at 20 and ready to pass, I'll be at much higher rpms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts