StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm 35 and I have been reading about the V-strom enough to make a purchase.. I can get a New 2004 650 OTD for 6500.00 or A used 1000 with 3300 miles for 6000.00 2002 model. It's charcoal. I'm 6'1 @ 180 lbs. I'll be riding a passenger occasionally, but not much.

·
Registered
213 Posts
650 or 1000

The 650 will probably be okay for you although you might want to get the taller 1000 seat for more leg room. Depending on where you live you might be able to get a better deal than list price for a DL650. If you do decide on the 1000 make sure it is in perfect condition and the motor runs smooth through out the rpm range. The 1000 will have more power for two up riding and will be better if you ride any at high altitudes. The 650 has been getting real good reviews so far.

P

·
0 Posts
jsmith811 said:
Ok, I'm 35 and I have been reading about the V-strom enough to make a purchase.. I can get a New 2004 650 OTD for 6500.00 or A used 1000 with 3300 miles for 6000.00 2002 model. It's charcoal. I'm 6'1 @ 180 lbs. I'll be riding a passenger occasionally, but not much.
I did not have that choice available to me last year, so I bought a new '03 DL1000, and I do like the power that engine has. If I was buying this year, I think I'd try to get a demo ride on each machine. That usually answers a lot of questions. If the used DL1000 felt good to ride, you could try to talk them down a little further on the price. NADA blue book shows low retail at $4930, and high retail at $6485. If they won't budge on the price, maybe you could press for a new helmet, or tankbag, or set of riding gloves - something to sweeten the deal. Doesn't hurt to try :).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1000 or 650

The 1000 is actually at a used car lot, so I'm a little concerned about how they ended up with it. The car lot is a 3 hour drive.. and so far they have told me it was just a trade in on a work truck. I was advised that the 1000 has 3300 miles, some light scratches on the right exhaust from saddle bags, not from accident. It also has a top case. Tires & paint look new according to salesman. I suppose if they would take 5000.00 it would be a better deal than the 650. You just never know about a used bike though. I'm also not sure what the exact cost will be to license it in Ky from TN. The price on the 650 is 6500.00 which includes tax, title, etc. On the road.

D

·
0 Posts
Have a dealer you trust check out the 1000. Ride it yourself and if they won't let you, don't buy it. The price seems pretty high, but they are a car dealer, so... Will they let you call the original owner?

I'm inclined to the 1000, just because the power is so nice...

HH

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Re: 1000 or 650

jsmith811 said:
The 1000 is actually at a used car lot, so I'm a little concerned about how they ended up with it. The car lot is a 3 hour drive.. and so far they have told me it was just a trade in on a work truck. I was advised that the 1000 has 3300 miles, some light scratches on the right exhaust from saddle bags, not from accident. It also has a top case. Tires & paint look new according to salesman. I suppose if they would take 5000.00 it would be a better deal than the 650. You just never know about a used bike though. I'm also not sure what the exact cost will be to license it in Ky from TN. The price on the 650 is 6500.00 which includes tax, title, etc. On the road.
So, I assume it's not under warranty? You could find out from your Suzuki dealer if it has an extended warranty by cross-referencing with the VIN #. I would be very leary about buying a motorcycle from a used car lot.

I'd buy the 650. I had a SV650 and that motor is a stomper. It's fine for 2-up. And, due to its lighter weight, it'll outhandle the bigger Strom in the tight stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for all the replies.. the last one was the most help.. but now you'll have to read my other story about me going and making a purchase on a 650.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts