6K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Vagabond2020 
#1 · (Edited)
It's official. Here's the new bike.

Pulls like a tank, great breaks and suspension. First things to do are:

1. Replace mirrors with my previous SV mirrors - done
2. Replace foot pegs with my sw-motech pegs - done
3. Install heated gear harness - done
4. Install Ram Mount X Grip for phone - done
4. Install barback/riser - not done. My Zeta barbacks don't fit. Any recommendations for a slight up and back?
5. Top case - still shopping.

That's it. Everything else is just the way it should be.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats.
Gets even, much, better with some klicks on the ticker.
Those aren't the stock tires, right?

#4 ·
Congratulations! I can't wait to see it and ride with you again!

I was going to say I literally use the same up and back risers on my 2015 DL1000 that I used on my 2006 DL650 and on my 2012 DL650 and they should work for you but then realized (I think I read) the Adventure (XT?) version has thicker handlebars.

..Tom

#7 ·
That’s exactly what I thought. Just transfer them over. The new bars are definitely bigger.

Same with the foot peg mounts. To transfer my sw-motech pegs I had to use the new bike’s pins because it’s half an inch longer to get through the thicker mount holes.

#11 ·
I used to run 20-50 in my Vee. It does soften the 1-2 crunchy shift. I really don't see any negative to it, beyond I might not want to run it when temps cool down due to starting cold engines.

Forget about the Idle Hammer. Tell'um its Thors Hammer winding up!

#12 ·
Congrats Eric! Really looking forward to riding together again sometime soon. Maybe I can convince the boys to come up to Kanuckistan next round. :)

BTW it pained me to sell my decked out 2013 DL650 last weekend especially after she was magnificent again in the Smokies, but I got a fair price and the buyer and his also-motorcyclist wife are already loving it. I'm still waiting for my 790R but hope to have it next weekend or soon after. It's nerve wracking to be without a street bike!

#13 ·
Thanks man! Likewise.

Waiting for a bike is killer, especially if you don't have one in the meantime.

It was hard to hand over my 650. Such a great bike and setup exactly the way I wanted it. The deal on the 1000 was too good to pass up and I got hooked on it after having it for the weekend as a loaner.

#16 ·
This is the second report I have read on the 804's causing this.

I am aware of the fender riser kit from ADVTECH. I had it on my 650. Looks like I'm in for a redo on the 1000 if I want to avoid that scenario. Will the 0.65 inch kit suffice or do I need to go with the 1.6 inch kit?

I did hear some strange noise on the highway the other day. I bet that was it.

You forget all the work you put into a bike... until you get a new bike :grin2:

#18 ·
I went with .65 but had to abandon the ABS keeper clip on back of fender to allow for clearance.. I don't see any negative impact to letting hose line ride loose. I didn't hear any rubbing but noticed a small crown on melted plastic on the back lower edge of fender when I got home... I was a little pissed at Suzuki for providing so little clearance on an "Adventure" moto... Loved the tires in the sands of Nev. last year and will use them up on ID BDR in August... Let's go baby!!!"...

#27 ·
Congrats on the purchsse. I am coming back to the V-strom family, previously had the 650. I sold that to try a KTM 1190 Adventur R. A powerful machine, just a little to tall for me at 5'10. I am excited to pickup a new '18 1000XT this weekend.

Cheers and enjoy your new ride. I really dig the yellow

#28 ·
Nice looking bike! I wanted the Champion yellow but ended up with the black one (couldn't resist the $ on an orphan taking up space in a local shop). Hope to be relocating to Upstate SC in the future and enjoying a longer riding season than in New England. I was surprised how well the big DL handles at a track day last summer, coming from a 2016 R1200RS. Any members in the Lake Keowee area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.