StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading my bike. Currently I have a 2005 v strom 650dl. My local dealership has 2 remaining 2017 650's that they're clearing out for $8300 tx in for the base model. I'm thinking as they really want them gone they may add further incentive with panniers etc. They don't currently have any others in stock, but as someone not very educated on the bikes (I've only owned my 650 since Aug 2019, only riding since July 2019 ....I love the bike which is why I'd now buy a new one. The used was a trial & learning bike). I am wondering if I am going new, are there benefits to getting the 2020, or have there been no big changes since the '17?
Does anyone know if the upcoming 2021 will have any new changes or body style change? Sure wish we had the 2020 650 Black edition here in Canada!

thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am assuming I know the dealer you are talking about. If I am correct, I am pretty sure those bikes were listed last fall for $9400 plus tax. They also went through an online auction that didn’t show any reserve that I saw. I quit bidding at 6500,I think they went up to somewhere just over 7 grand. I thought they were gone but now they are still advertising them. Regardless $8300 out the door would be a very good price. They are the grey colour right? I think they look great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming I know the dealer you are talking about. If I am correct, I am pretty sure those bikes were listed last fall for $9400 plus tax. They also went through an online auction that didn’t show any reserve that I saw. I quit bidding at 6500,I think they went up to somewhere just over 7 grand. I thought they were gone but now they are still advertising them. Regardless $8300 out the door would be a very good price. They are the grey colour right? I think they look great.
Hi ToontownTim,
yes it'll be the dealer you're thinking! Apparently Suzuki has pulled their dealer rights which also makes me somewhat nervous buying there. Their new salesperson told me these bikes were in auction and didn't sell. They're offering a pretty sweet deal on them - they have a white and a black. I'm just debating if there are changes to the 20 (or upcoming 21's) that would make it worthwhile to wait and pay more. I also don't know who will be taking over Suzuki here if F**n has lost rights.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Suzuki has some weird arrangements with dealers here it seems. There used to be a different dealer that sold 90% off-road but also had a DRZ-400 or 2. All the street was at the other dealer. I’m not sure of the arrangement now because the KTM dealer sells some Suzuki off-road. It is possible they will take over Suzuki completely but the location is quite small. Maybe we just don’t have Suzuki anymore. In the end you still get a bike with a great reputation for reliability at a great price. I just did the same thing and bought a new 2018 1000. I would love to have the cruise control that comes on the new 2020 but for the cost savings I will use a throttle lock. I debated a few more expensive bikes but for me personally, a cheaper bike means more money to take trips, buy accessories and just get to enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suzuki has some weird arrangements with dealers here it seems. There used to be a different dealer that sold 90% off-road but also had a DRZ-400 or 2. All the street was at the other dealer. I’m not sure of the arrangement now because the KTM dealer sells some Suzuki off-road. It is possible they will take over Suzuki completely but the location is quite small. Maybe we just don’t have Suzuki anymore. In the end you still get a bike with a great reputation for reliability at a great price. I just did the same thing and bought a new 2018 1000. I would love to have the cruise control that comes on the new 2020 but for the cost savings I will use a throttle lock. I debated a few more expensive bikes but for me personally, a cheaper bike means more money to take trips, buy accessories and just get to enjoy the bike.
They have a 2017 ducati multistrata 950 as well on clearance.. just over $10. love the bike but the required amount and cost of maintaining it are probably not worth it.
As for the dealership, I know they're completely out of the faithful location and are saying they wont carry anymore. they have no new stock in at all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can’t offer any real opinion on the Ducati. I’ve never owned one. I bid on the multistrada 1200 at auction as well but it didn’t matter. I don’t think they actually sold them. To me it comes down to your financial situation. I would love to try a Ducati but I have never had one and don’t want a money pit. Not saying it would be, I just don’t know. I bought an Africa Twin and had problems with it. So I traded in for the Vee. One of the major reasons I bought the Vee is because it is an old bike with an old proven engine. Every manufacturer has the odd problem but there are a lot of bikes on this forum with over 100000 miles. Inexpensive to buy, inexpensive to maintain and known for reliability. Keep in mind. I bought in December. I have never ridden mine. I have ridden an SV 1000 which has the same motor with some small differences. The general opinion though is if your serious about the off road part. The vstrom is the wrong bike. The strom will give you some off road capability but is more road biased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just checked out the images on line between the two. Also looked at them at the dealer...Unless I am mistaken they are pretty much the same externally. Maybe some subtle changes not apparent in pictures? I really like my 2017 and it should still come with a 5 year warranty perhaps??? Mine did, Or if the dealership is in trouble would that change anything or maybe that was just part of the incentive package at that time??

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was told mine had a 5 year warranty when I bought it. I received the paperwork from Suzuki a month later. It says the original 1 year warranty was expired before I bought it and the Suzuki extended warranty expires in 2-1/2 years from now. Somehow I ended up with half my warranty

·
Registered
47 Posts
I saw a new 2020 650 XT Adventure at the dealer a couple weeks ago. The only thing that really stood out over the 2019 model was the new panniers that IMO look much better than the old ones. I didn't notice any cruise or anything but I wasn't really looking either. Significantly more money too, $10,400 US.
As far as the Ducati Multistrada, I have a 2013 and love it. They are amazing and just as reliable as any other bike I have owned. They can be expensive compared to others, again IMO, so be ready for that. Tires, $615 US (Michelin Pilot Sport 4), special tool required to remove rear tire so it had to go to the dealer. New fork seals a year ago, my fault I think though $650. 5 year/15,000 mile service last Oct plus new fuel sensor in tank $1350 US. So, not as cheap to own as a VStrom but to me that is like comparing a Honda CRV to a new Corvette. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just about any European bike is going to be expensive to fix compared with a Japanese bike in my experience. And I've owned multiple BMWs, multiple Moto Guzzis', multiple Triumphs and one Ducati. When one of my BMWs fell over in the garage, one piece of painted plastic was $1040+ and the total cost to repair the damage was over $3000. You think BMW parts are expensive, price Moto Guzzi parts/accessories from the dealer sometime. I think from now on I'll stick with Japanese bikes which are cheaper to maintain/fix and tend to be more reliable in my experience.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just ditched my 2012 Tiger 800 for a brand-new 2018 V-Strom 650, and I couldn’t be happier.

Fun fact: In 2007 I bought a brand-new Wee for $7000. This past Saturday, I bought a brand-new (but 2 year old) Wee for...

$7000.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
  • No changes for 2020 and perhaps still nothing new for 2021. Go for 2017 and spend left over money on farkles. BTW it is the best Wee so far (and the best looking one) and I'Ive had 5 of Wee and 5 of Wee2 BTW. For last few months and few thousands km on Wee3 (2017 XT). Great bike!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Just about any European bike is going to be expensive to fix compared with a Japanese bike in my experience. And I've owned multiple BMWs, multiple Moto Guzzis', multiple Triumphs and one Ducati. When one of my BMWs fell over in the garage, one piece of painted plastic was $1040+ and the total cost to repair the damage was over $3000. You think BMW parts are expensive, price Moto Guzzi parts/accessories from the dealer sometime. I think from now on I'll stick with Japanese bikes which are cheaper to maintain/fix and tend to be more reliable in my experience.
That's why I never went this way. No "exotic" bikes for me. Japanese only.

·
Registered
41 Posts
  • No changes for 2020 and perhaps still nothing new for 2021. Go for 2017 and spend left over money on farkles. BTW it is the best Wee so far (and the best looking one) and I'Ive had 5 of Wee and 5 of Wee2 BTW. For last few months and few thousands km on Wee3 (2017 XT). Great bike!
For 2021 the Vstrom 650 will need to updated to Euro 5 compliance, assuming Suzuki wants to continue selling it in Europe. Which I'm sure they do, the 650 has to be one of their most important models (perhaps the most)

It seems every model that is updated for Euro 5 has also receives a host of other updates, so I expect we'll see a different 650 next year. Minimally, I expect LED lighting and a fairing/headlight design similar to the new 1050 (and include a freaking headlight relay, please). Also I'm sure we'll get an instrument panel downgrade similar to the 1050 (loss of gauges, + monochrome LCD). Would love to see USD fork, brake upgrade, a displacement bump, and throttle by wire, but that's probably expecting too much.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I think $8300 is not clear out pricing for a base 2017. I paid $7500 cdn for mine in sept 2018 at Newmarket Suzuki.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
That would be $10,072.51 in Northern Pesos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts