StromTrooper banner

New 2014 DL650 dealer price

9K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Outbackwack 
#1 ·
Hi all, first post for me here at Stromtrooper. I'm shopping for a 650 but still undecided about whether to buy new or used, mostly because there seems to be pretty much no used Stroms available where I am at - South central Idaho. I have the cash to spare to buy new plus gear (I'm returning to riding after several years), but not averse to saving a buck on a lightly used machine either.

My local dealer has a brand new '14 DL650 in white sitting in his showroom. He says with the current incentive programs available from Suzuki, I can get it out the door for $8300, including Idaho sales tax and the bullshit dealer fees. That's a few hundred bucks cheaper than the MSRP on Suzuki's website.

I would be paying cash with nothing to trade in.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? Is there anything I should be looking out for?

#2 ·
I would jump on that if it is a true out the door price.

#4 ·
Not to hijack...but I was wondering the same on new pricing with dealers.

So I've stopped into several dealers lately as I'm considering moving to a Wee. I'm continually amazed at how clueless many of them are about their own products. I always seem to have to inform them about their own bikes and the industry in general... Why are they there? Most don't even seem to show a passing interest in motorcycles.... how else could the be so clueless??

I've bought all my bikes used so never tried to deal with a dealer. So do they all play this "dealer fee" and other BS game? Had one I called about a leftover '13 Wee and she quotes me basically MSRP for what a '14 should be. She seemed to have no desire to try and give me any sort of deal. WTH??

I guess I'll just stick to buying a good used bike if this is how all the dealers are...:headbang:

#8 ·
There is a 2013 advertised Canadian $.
Sale Price: $6,879.99

Year: 2013
Manufacturer: Suzuki
Model: V-STROM 650 ABS
New/Used: New
New Usage Unit: 0
Primary Color: BLUE
Condition: Excellent
Title: Clean
Stock #: SM100491
VIN: JS1VP56A2D2100491

Hard to believe couldn't be OTD for under $8000 Cdn.

I know question was about 2014, but this seem a really good price. Not sure of changes from 2013 to 2014.

#9 ·
I went back to the dealer this afternoon and got an OTD price in writing: $8190! I think I will be back in the morning to close the deal :)

He said he only sells about 1 Strom per year - explains the utter lack of used ones in the area I think. This town is very much Harley and dirt bike territory.

#18 ·
Oh man... you got my white one.... :headbang::thumbup: Congrats and thanks for the info. on the dealer.

I've spoken to the dealer in Fort Smith and they sure don't seem to willing to offer much of a deal.

Actually still trying to sell my Tenere... but will be keeping that red one in mind if and when I sell it.

If none of this 2015 models for Suzuki or Yamaha come true and I haven't sold the Tenere, maybe I can find someone here wanting to trade....

#22 ·
I was just looking at a 400 mile fly and ride down to Maryland. Pete's in Baltimore has the 2014 DL650 ABS in Red on sale for $6999. I was wondering, since it's getting colder as time goes by, what the first things to put on it would be. I can prolly xfer my Warm-n-Safe harness over right there at the dealer.

#23 ·
Can't answer your question.... But any concern about trying to break in a new bike getting home? I've thought about doing the same but usually involves looking at a used bike.

Not sure that hours of interstate on a new engine would be that good. Guess it depends where home is and how quick you have to get there. If you have the time, can take the back roads where you can better break in the engine perhaps ?

#24 ·
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't slab it home at 75 mph for 400 miles. I'd stop at a friends house (75 miles) and leave early the next morning and take all day riding local roads mixed with some highway to get home, followed by an oil change.

#25 ·
I can get 2014 DL650 OTD with all tax/title/prep, etc. now for $8200, which is about $7200 price. Is that a good deal? Of course, now I'd have to spend $1500 on farkles :-(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.