StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
Local dealer has a few older Aprilla's for $3-5K off msrp.
Wouldn't hurt to make an offer. What does KKB suggest or NADA?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
$9299 is fair. I bet it's tagged rock bottom price, since it is riding weather now.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I almost wish this wasn't the adventure model. Just doesn't seem worth that extra expense.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I don't have bags; but if I did, I would prefer the ones on the adventure model. For everyday use, I like the slim profile. The bags along with a nice big trunk and a dry bags, you are ready for touring. Engine guards are nice. Some people have claimed that the taller windscreen does not have any buffeting. The plastic bash plate. What can you say, its plastic. Still, you have some value here with all those add-ons.

A quote for the 2014 V2 from Cycle World:
Still, at $12,699, the V-Strom is a bargain, a whole bunch of adventure bike priced $3,000 to $4,300 below the competition. And if you’re willing to spring for another $1,300, the V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure model comes with quick-detach saddlebags, a plastic skid plate, handguards, crash bars, and a taller windscreen—a bigger bargain yet.

And the cost will be discounted another $4,700 below an already great value. That's hard to beat.

I am not trying to talk you into buying the bike. This is just how I would look this deal.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have bags; but if I did, I would prefer the ones on the adventure model. For everyday use, I like the slim profile. The bags along with a nice big trunk and a dry bags, you are ready for touring. Engine guards are nice. Some people have claimed that the taller windscreen does not have any buffeting. The plastic bash plate. What can you say, its plastic. Still, you have some value here with all those add-ons.

A quote for the 2014 V2 from Cycle World:
Still, at $12,699, the V-Strom is a bargain, a whole bunch of adventure bike priced $3,000 to $4,300 below the competition. And if you’re willing to spring for another $1,300, the V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure model comes with quick-detach saddlebags, a plastic skid plate, handguards, crash bars, and a taller windscreen—a bigger bargain yet.

And the cost will be discounted another $4,700 below an already great value. That's hard to beat.

I am not trying to talk you into buying the bike. This is just how I would look this deal.
Thanks for this! I didn't realize it had a taller windscreen. I guess its always a question of buying OEM version of those items versus after market. ....but you are right, all of those things give me something until I can afford to replace them if needed.

Buffeting is a major concern for me because of some ear problems I have. I hate that I can't test drive this thing. Unfortunately, it seems like all of the upright bikes sort of have this buffeting problem. I don't want to crouch due to some knee problems (I am falling apart...lol). So right now, the Vee2 seems to be the best choice just based on sitting on it and everything I have read based on what you get for the price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just upgraded the windscreen on my 2014 standard version to the Touring version. It's a couple inches wider and an inch or two taller. Works fine in middle position, but I'm not tall (5'9). I find that all of these bikes have some turbulence (buffeting) and wind noise, it's the nature of the beast. Just make sure you use ear plugs and it's not a problem.

That bike sounds like a great deal. Nicely equipped, especially if it comes with that top case.

Reactions: cavenger

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Whatever option it has that you don't like...sell 'em. I like the oem hard racks and hang waterproof Nelson Rigg soft bags off of them. The dang 2017/18's only have single point hard bag mounts....wonder how those will fair when you gotta "layerdown"?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for this! I didn't realize it had a taller windscreen. I guess its always a question of buying OEM version of those items versus after market. ....but you are right, all of those things give me something until I can afford to replace them if needed.

Buffeting is a major concern for me because of some ear problems I have. I hate that I can't test drive this thing. Unfortunately, it seems like all of the upright bikes sort of have this buffeting problem. I don't want to crouch due to some knee problems (I am falling apart...lol). So right now, the Vee2 seems to be the best choice just based on sitting on it and everything I have read based on what you get for the price.
You might be able to get a test ride if you convince the dealer that you're serious about buying it. I phoned dealers and told them I had to have a test ride first, and pretty much all the dealers around here (Oregon) agreed. I didn't ask; I told them what I needed and let them respond. (My negotiating advantage is that I really won't buy a bike I can't test ride. I think this comes across somehow.)

I'd say $9K is a fair price now; it's a lot of bike for the money, even if it's been sitting for a couple of years. But I'd recommend checking nationwide, because shipping is cheap and price differences can be big from place to place.

As for the windscreen, at 6'4" I found the touring windscreen to be not nearly enough. I don't know of any adventure tourers that have adequate wind protection to preserve my hearing. I ended up with a Givi Airflow, which is a huge improvement, but I still ride with earplugs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A new V2 for 10K

What's a fair price to offer?

I paid 10.4K OTD for mine 2 years ago. I think 10K all in is a good price on a brand new one. Tax, tag, title, setup... everything. See if if they will cut you a deal on the extended warranty as well.

Reactions: cavenger

·
Registered
58 Posts
OEm Hard Bags

Whatever option it has that you don't like...sell 'em. I like the oem hard racks and hang waterproof Nelson Rigg soft bags off of them. The dang 2017/18's only have single point hard bag mounts....wonder how those will fair when you gotta "layerdown"?
I did drop mine with the plastic bags on. They just got scratched nothing broken. Suzuki later replaced them for me over an unrelated issue of a broken lock. These bags are not Dakar ready to be sure but they are not fragile either. If you break them just go buy some harder aftermarket ones.

SL

Reactions: jrb_nw

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I paid 10.4K OTD for mine 2 years ago. I think 10K all in is a good price on a brand new one. Tax, tag, title, setup... everything. See if if they will cut you a deal on the extended warranty as well.
They are going to sell it to me out the door for $9800. I will ask about the warranty.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
:nopity:
They are going to sell it to me out the door for $9800. I will ask about the warranty.

I paid around $10,600 OTD for a 2014 non-adventure. At that time, I thought I got a great deal. I have heard of better deals but, I don't think that would of made any difference had I brought that fact to the attention of my dealer:nopity: So, the reality is that I had to deal with CT prices unless, I wanted to travel and I didn't. If someone got it for cheaper, good for them.:thumbup: I still think for what I bought, I got a very good deal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts