StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
16 pounds lighter is nice (when has a car or motorcycle ever lost weight during its production run?!?!) but the 5.8 gallon tank was one of the big draws to the Wee for me. There are a few places up here where I live where gas stations become a little scarce, so range is a huge deal to me.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
16 pounds lighter is nice (when has a car or motorcycle ever lost weight during its production run?!?!) but the 5.8 gallon tank was one of the big draws to the Wee for me. There are a few places up here where I live where gas stations become a little scarce, so range is a huge deal to me.
... but maybe the new Strom is more fuel efficent???... Let's wait and see the stats. The reduced fuel capacity may be a non issue then.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
... but maybe the new Strom is more fuel efficent???... Let's wait and see the stats. The reduced fuel capacity may be a non issue then.
By my cocktail napkin calculations, using my actual rate of fuel consumption on the interstate, that works out to around 20 miles less range on a tank. Fuel economy would have to go up about 3mpg to make up the difference. At least at high speeds, better aerodynamics might easily accomplish that.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
By my cocktail napkin calculations, using my actual rate of fuel consumption on the interstate, that works out to around 20 miles less range on a tank. Fuel economy would have to go up about 3mpg to make up the difference. At least at high speeds, better aerodynamics might easily accomplish that.
I personally don't think it will make much of a difference at all... As you said, more aerodynamic, and with even a slight increase in fuel effeciency would make up the difference no problem...

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Wholly crapolla, I just mounted 25+ pounds of bag mounts and crash bars and belly pan. Now they find the wisdom of decreasing the fuel stores. I was thinking of getting a bent tank and welding up a larger capacity add ons. Silly buggers should have gone in the other direction and given it 7.5 gallons at least. One could easily make the tank bigger and still reside under the plastic works.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
okay is 20 mile that important? I will wait to see what fuel consumption it gets

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Not to ever be positive but

the back of the tank seems narrower so better dirt and easier foot down

Maybe that is where the 1/2 gallon went

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
obviously 1/2 gallon of fuel is not the contributor to a 16 pounds weight loss assuming mr suzuki has not been too optimistic.

Yes that 2 litres of fuel can make a big difference if u are doing real outback safari - in which case u may end up carrying an extra fuel can anyway.

But, i dare say for 95% of vstrom riders at least 95% of time, it makes no difference anyway. However a weight saving of 16 pounds from the top part of the motorbike would be significant in the way it feels.

and lets hope with the better aero efficiency and engine efficiency, it might achieve a 0.3litre/100km better fuel consumption to equal the current version's range. But i doubt it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
One could easily make the tank bigger and still reside under the plastic works
Why keep those stupid, ugly plastic side panels anyway? All they do is:
1) take up space that could be used for an expended gas tank
2) get damaged in a fall
3) interfere with attaching a magnetic tank bag.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I was hoping for major changes but didn't happen. No mention of an 800cc., 16 lbs. lighter , but-no major changes in suspension & a reduced 5.3 fuel capacity (I hate to give up that extra 25 mile range).

New Suzuki V-Strom 650 Pictures and Specifications Hit the Web « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews
I'd give up 25 miles of range* for smooth air, a worthwhile trade-off even before you consider what that whacky Caniadian said about possible improved fuel economy? He doesn't even own a V-Strom any more, I hope he buys a new one to confirm that Suzuki kept what's good and fixed what wasn't.

Also, what if they designed the system so that you could use all of the fuel in the tank instead of the 5.2 gallons we currently have available before the pump stars sucking air.

And, but, also, with the real-time fuel-use readout, you could probably nurse 500 miles out of the tank - just don't do it around here.

Hey, have they allowed any children into Tamarac yet? We used to ride Honda Elsinores along the canals out to the dike, back when University Drive was at the edge of civilzation. Occasionally, Irving and Ida (RIP) would throw rotten mangos at us as we sped by.

* Disclaimer: On most of the rides I do where range is an issue, I am usually accompanied by bike(s) with a considerably shorter range (read Harley) and have to stop at less than 200 miles anyways.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'd give up 25 miles of range* for smooth air, a worthwhile trade-off even before you consider what that whacky Caniadian said about possible improved fuel economy? He doesn't even own a V-Strom any more, I hope he buys a new one to confirm that Suzuki kept what's good and fixed what wasn't.
Excuse me???:mrgreen: I never said it would have better fuel economy. What I sais was maybe the Gladius engine is more fuel effecient, maybe not...? Just speculating. I owned two Wee's so I can comment... Anyway, for your information... Yes, I am planning on buying the new Strom....:thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Excuse me???:mrgreen: I never said it would have better fuel economy.
I don't think I paraphrased you to the point of contradicting yourself, did I.

... Yes, I am planning on buying the new Strom....:thumbup:
You may be my new hero.

Hey, I plan on visiting the Great Nation of Canada some time in September. There's a company with whom I work quite a bit located just a north of Toronto, I'll probably be flying up, but you never know - the wife is itching for a big road trip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Stormin Norman if you want to have fun with the border gaurds when they ask your purpose for coming to Canada tell them you just rode up to take a picture of the welcome to canada sign long story but they don't like that answer no sense of humor at all :) As for the new DL650 it has been posted elsewhere that the new wee should get 54.8 mpg so if'n my math is correct since they s\downsized the tank you will still only go as far as the older strom with the bigger tank. Now ain't that smart(not) of Suzuki. I would like a 6 or 7 gallon tank :) like the Big GS's get. That way I could ride to work all month on one fill up of course with weekend rides that would blow that too :)

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Off topic: Border Crossing........some fellow workers here in Alabamie flew up north to visit a paper mill.....had to drive across the Canadian Border in a rental car. They asked John if they were carrying any firearms........John's reply laughingly........"Hell......we're from Alabama, aren't we"!!!!! The border commander released them a few hours later.............

·
Registered
25 Posts
Geez, I seem to read endless comments about the Wee being top heavy and when the Suzuki folks try to do something about it (slightly smaller tank, smaller plastics) they get complaints. If you live in a place with a lot of "last gas" signs, you're going to me managing fuel carefully anyway. Not a big deal.

Border story into Canada: I'm a Canadian (now American, which is to say both) and my college girlfriend was American. We went to visit some of my relatives by car.

BG: Where were you born?

Us: Montreal and Los Angeles.

BG: Ah, one Canadian and one Alien, eh.

Me: No one Canadian and one American.

One inspection and 90 minutes later we were on our way.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
They asked John if they were carrying any firearms........John's reply laughingly........"Hell......we're from Alabama, aren't we"!!!!! The border commander released them a few hours later.............
It's a shame how everyone thinks "Deliverance" was filmed in Alabama.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was hoping for major changes but didn't happen. No mention of an 800cc., 16 lbs. lighter , but-no major changes in suspension & a reduced 5.3 fuel capacity (I hate to give up that extra 25 mile range).

New Suzuki V-Strom 650 Pictures and Specifications Hit the Web « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

Have you ever put more than about 5.2 gallons into your wee at a stop? I haven't.

There's a lot of useless gas in the wee's tank.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts